DAC unit, starting to look into one, any ideas?

minermark

@ fry's picked up a little plug in device SIIG USB Soundwave Pro, $34 bucks just for the heck of it. This little critter plugs into the USB and the 1/8 headphone/preamp feed comes right out the back side. Powered by the USB I figure, well, the system static coming from the sound card has just got to get a little better. Cured 95% of the noise, crystal clear audio, holy cow $34 bucks!
Must show how mediocre the DACs internal to computers and processors are!

@ fry's picked up a little plug in device SIIG USB Soundwave Pro, $34 bucks just for the heck of it

Certainly a little shy of your 500 to 1000 budget in the first post :rolleyes:

Every one here got me thinking, see what I can find to prove my theory, of, "this is what I need"

So what better way than set out to find anything on the cheap, Paradyne was closed today, Good thing it turns out.

For $34 bucks iv proved a DAC is indeed worth every penny, software that came with it included a Full Equalizer and surround 7.1 set up.

Amazing little device really.

The big thing here is not only do I know what to do, the wife knows too!

I thank everyone for their input, thinking about that LiL Dragonfly is what got me thinkin. Fourm guys win!

• Like 1

@ fry's picked up a little plug in device SIIG USB Soundwave Pro, $34 bucks just for the heck of it

Certainly a little shy of your 500 to 1000 budget in the first post :rolleyes:

Every one here got me thinking, see what I can find to prove my theory, of, "this is what I need"

So what better way than set out to find anything on the cheap, Paradyne was closed today, Good thing it turns out.

For $34 bucks iv proved a DAC is indeed worth every penny, software that came with it included a Full Equalizer and surround 7.1 set up.

Amazing little device really.

The big thing here is not only do I know what to do, the wife knows too!

I thank everyone for their input, thinking about that LiL Dragonfly is what got me thinkin. Fourm guys win!

I auditioned a Schiit Bifrost this weekend. Compared to the DAC in my Emotiva umc-1 there was a pretty big difference. I did side by side, A/B'd them. The price is right on it too I'd say. Im leaning in that direction its gotten great reviews and is compared to units at far higher prices.

There is one on Ebay for $238 two days left on the sale, are you going for this ? its a Gen1 but can be upgraded to a Gen two, let me know so I don't bid against ya.

There are 3 on audiogon right now also

I have no comparison other than the Schiit Modi, but according to all the reviews etc the uber analog card is a significant step up, Mine is the Uber and i can say it is a very analog sounding DAC, which makes me very happy :)

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 2

After hours and hours between this forum and you guys, Amazon, Ebay, Google, and three audio boards, iv decided on

http://www.amazon.com/Bifrost-Uber-Digital-Analog-Convertor/dp/B00DV38SZM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_6/187-3959818-1238359

Just ordered mine, if this plays out well, ill get the wife one. it was either this or the Antalope that is $1500

• Like 2

After hours and hours between this forum and you guys, Amazon, Ebay, Google, and three audio boards, iv decided on

http://www.amazon.com/Bifrost-Uber-Digital-Analog-Convertor/dp/B00DV38SZM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_6/187-3959818-1238359

Just ordered mine, if this plays out well, ill get the wife one. it was either this or the Antalope that is $1500

I definitely want to have your impressions on this, Not sure about amazon return policy, But Schiit gives you a 15 day trial period.

I love mine its a keeper

I auditioned a Schiit Bifrost this weekend. Compared to the DAC in my Emotiva umc-1 there was a pretty big difference. I did side by side, A/B'd them. The price is right on it too I'd say. Im leaning in that direction its gotten great reviews and is compared to units at far higher prices.

There is one on Ebay for $238 two days left on the sale, are you going for this ? its a Gen1 but can be upgraded to a Gen two, let me know so I don't bid against ya.

I say go for it I might go new with the uber upgrade. Its a sweet unit

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/01/schiit-audio-modi-2496-dac-review/

Ive been listening all weekend to this DAC... really enjoying... As nice or nicer than the HRT I used to have.

Reading all this stuff about DSD... going inexpenisve for a while seems a good choice. Long story, short... I do wish it had digital volume control, but love that it doesnt need a power cord.

• Like 1

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/01/schiit-audio-modi-2496-dac-review/

Ive been listening all weekend to this DAC... really enjoying... As nice or nicer than the HRT I used to have.

Reading all this stuff about DSD... going inexpenisve for a while seems a good choice. Long story, short... I do wish it had digital volume control, but love that it doesnt need a power cord.

Thanks for posting the review Justin, I had not seen that one it's a good read

Listening to Robert Plant principle of moments through Bifrost right now, sounds great B)

Schiit DACs are all really impressive. I do wish there high-end dacs had an upgrade to allow for DSD too. That way, 1 box, 1 solution.

I like there 2 solution idea... will prob buy and pair with my emotive DAC, but I don’t even have any DSD files yet.

I know many love FLACs... I’m a AIFF guy... when an algorithm removes zeros... it’s not a PCM copy... its a really close approximation and it requires some processing. WAVs and AIFFs require less processing.

AIFFs allow for track info to be encoded which is why I love them. Now, has anyone heard a AIFF vs DSD… that’s worth knowing. The more I read about DSD… I think Im a PCM camp guy and not DSD… Seems the prices have really fallen for PCM based DACs while the quality continues to rise. The C-media USB receive used by almost everyone appears to be the only bug I’ve encountered with USB2.0 DACs which is why I’m pulled back to USB1 DACs like my XDA-1, HRT or the Modi.

I think Im a PCM camp guy and not DSD…
I cannot seem to be able to tell them apart. Some DSD has been through a PCM process so I can't see what all the fuss is about.

But on the subject of DACs: From what I have learned the software that processes the data can have a huge impact on the sound. You could almost say that if the stream to the DAC isn't up to snuff then the DAC cannot improve on it. I have a ten year old Audio by Van Alstine 44.1 tube DAC that sounds fantastic when driven by Pure Music. When driven by Itunes its no better than my CD player, maybe worse. I never play a CD direct. I rip it to loss less and then process the data properly to get the best result. Since I am going to be passive crossover soon, I think I m going to try the AVA again and compare it to the Apogee Quartet that is close to current state of the art.

• Like 1

Rotel somewhat regarded highly here,lol...

LOL the Rotel sounds fabulous!!! RSP and a pair of mono-blocks, it is sweet :) It is the processor part I am very much disliking. On screen controls and options? YUK! Just want to push a button or turn a dial, please.

serenity now!!!

TYG :)

Bet the Rotel really sounds good!

*minermark just mentioned a $34 dollar DAC. Going to look at finding one maybe while I decide on next one.

Thanks

• Like 1

I too second the emotiva XDA-1 and XDA-2. Having owned both... I perfer the XDA-1... Both do not require use of external drivers, but the XDA-1 was a bit simplier... (Both plug and play). That said... I use my XDA-2 daily. Both the XDA-1 and XDA-2 allow multiple inputs... CD player and Compuer... and have full func remotes.

For my 2nd rig, I just bought a Modi USB Digital/Analog Convertor by Schiit. (Schit has a good rep. Super simply... no extra power suplies and does Red Book 16/44.1. I used to own a HRT+ and loved it too... again for simplicity. The HRT is $70 more. The Modi is $110 to the door.

Justin

how would you rate the sound from the modi, I thought it was very good,and well worth the 100.00, it was a major improvement over my sound card. Frankly I am not sure the upgrade to the Uber Bifrost with USB (530.00) was a big step up, I believe the Bifrost did smooth out some grain,extended the bass, and perhaps added some clarity but it's certainly not 5 times better sounding

Joe

Joe,

I wouldn't buy the Bitfost at @5x the cost. I have a $350 emotiva which I think is similar from a spec sheet/ parts perspective... though they are nicer than the Modi... the Modi is sooooo much simpler and punches above its weight.

I agree completely about the modi (i will be keeping mine i have a plan to buy the 100.00 magni to go with it as a small setup for the computer desk) i think its easily worth the 100, I only bought bifrost because i got a deal on a 1 month old unit with all the bells Uber / usb 2.0. Initial impressions were that Bifrost was definitely not 5 times better in fact i did not think it was 2 x better, and im not sure i do now. But it is definitely more refined and more analog sounding which is a huge + (all my previous setups revolved around vinyl playback, some very high end tables). I will go back and hook up modi again after a spell with bifrost, sometimes its easier to pick out whats missing

Followed the fedex truck on the way home, turns out he was going to my place.

Sitting here looking at http://www.amazon.com/Bifrost-Uber-Digital-Analog-Convertor/dp/B00DV38SZM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_6/187-3959818-1238359

And don't tell Mallette this, but I have no cable for it, so I have a little visit to Blue Jeans to make tonight.