LaScala Mods

djk

I thought the closed cell foam was to placed to take up volume, not brace...

Looks like there are couple 'mods' being discussed at once. The OG post was adding a 24"x24"x1" piece of foam behind the driver (no images provided). The last images were a wedge.

Both take up volume: yes. I image the OG post also reduced higher Hz reflections in the doghouse.

Thanks for the info and pics!  I like the idea that you experimented with the large-cell bubble-wrap - innovative!

Where did you source the foam cones from?

A craft store

I think they make topiary with them

I thought the closed cell foam was to placed to take up volume, not brace...

At the time my thoughts were that with the bass bin addition the sound waves needed taming

Bracing drivers has always been a decent upgrade as long as it doesn't take up too much enclosure volume. I can't image that the foam trees stay stiff enough to real do much long term... just my 2 cents.

Perhaps wedging a hard wood piece would be more beneficial...

Bracing would not help much as I use the Crites cast drivers and they are stiff enough

The sides and back of my speakers are double thickness as well

The cones are small and don't take up much space

Again my thoughts were all about the sound waves and how they interact with the extra volume of the bass bin

Thinking about waves mechanically I wanted to provide a nice smooth sound wave direction and transition to the lower section - no more no less

It's worked for my system

LaScala.gif

The woofer used only makes a small difference to the frequency response curve (K43 vs K33).

The computer model suggests there will be a peak at 140hz, and a dip at 200hz.

Carl's measurements look very similar to the simulation.

If corner reflectors improve the high end response has to be tried by trial and error. Cone breakup causes the upper range to be hard to model.

Below is a measurement of 3 different drivers (gamma LA1232 30 Hz Q about 0.4 and Vas 300 L and a proper PA Horn driver from Beyma. They still both work to about 1000 Hz even if he gamma should have a mass rolloff above 150 Hz...

Kuben is similar but not indentical to the LS, even the 150 Hz peak is there

BeymaGammaEminence.jpg