quality music recordings?

If you like heavier stuff: Black Sabbath's newest lp 13 is recorded very good. I have both the vinyl and cd version and can recommend both. Classic Rock? Try out Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs. Female vocalist: Feist, The Reminder. I think you will find that your whole collection of music will need to be revisited on your K-Horns. It just amazed me how much I had been missing out on when I got my K-Horns.

great list of music, thanks. aside from "pull my finger" :unsure:

rush will be a definate add.

& if you liked toto they are worth a listen again for sure. his voice isnt my fav but the band & music they produce is top notch. & their drummer jeff porcoro (rip) is one of the all time best drummers, he did a few studio appearances with steely dan & many other bands of that era. the songs africa, rosanna, hold the line & georgy porgey are incredible up loud.

also a huge paul simon fan, havent tried my graceland cd yet but its at the top of the list.

thanks again for the input, should be more than enough to keep me busy for awhile.

led zepplin? yes i agree not considered hifi, but remember i do like to listen to most my music somewhat on the louder side. listen to mobydick, ramble on or bring it on home off led zepplin II, or the song nobodys fault but mine, bad or good recordings, they sound very good up loud, it really brings the k-horns alive...

I like those Zeppelin songs too. BUT! They are typically low-fi at best.

Wait until you hear some real quality recordings and it will be hard to go back.

The Heritage line is unforgiving, garbage in, garbage out. Give some of the suggestions a spin and then go back and crank Zeppelin through your K-horns and I think you'll think differently. In my experience, the Heritage line like High Fidelity recordings.

Keep us posted and enjoy the ride,

Dennie

Here's a few that I really like.

Pink Floyd -- "Final Cut" -- (Along with most of the other albums mentioned.)

Alan Parsons Project -- "I Robot" -- (I learned about this one from a great forum member)

Def Leopard -- "Hysteria"

John Cougar Mellencamp -- "Lonesome Jubilee"

Tom Petty & The Hearbreaker's -- "Echo" and "Hard Promises"

O'Ryan Island -- "Moonshine" (good luck finding this one, it was recorded in an empty concert hall or auditorium somewhere in Canada. If you're into this kind of music you will absolutely love this album.)

post-10277-0-25280000-1392486473_thumb.j

Edited by Gilbert

led zepplin? yes i agree not considered hifi, but remember i do like to listen to most my music somewhat on the louder side. listen to mobydick, ramble on or bring it on home off led zepplin II, or the song nobodys fault but mine, bad or good recordings, they sound very good up loud, it really brings the k-horns alive...

Wait until you hear some real quality recordings and it will be hard to go back.

The Heritage line is unforgiving, garbage in, garbage out. Give some of the suggestions a spin and then go back and crank Zeppelin through your K-horns and I think you'll think differently. In my experience, the Heritage line like High Fidelity recordings.

Dennie

I have a 1980 pressing of AC/DC Back In Black. I am amazed at how good it sounds and I was not expecting it to be this good. The drums are recorded very well. Sounds great on a really resolving system (to my surprise).

Dennie

I have a 1980 pressing of AC/DC Back In Black. I am amazed at how good it sounds and I was not expecting it to be this good. The drums are recorded very well. Sounds great on a really resolving system (to my surprise).

You are right, some vinyl sounds very good and it is often surprising to find quality ROCK vinyl, but it is out there. rockout.gif

I still don't know what format the OP is using or asking about, but my Led Zeppelin CD's typically sound pretty bad. "Mothership" is remastered and sounds pretty good though, but "Zep 4" is known to be... "hard to listen too"!

I just threw in "Presence" CD and it played "Nobody's Fault..." and it does sound pretty good, but not near "Audiophile" grade. The bass is a little flat/bloated and the cymbal's smear at louder volume, a victim of compression. But, it's not as bad as I had thought.

I'm curious to hear his impressions of some better mastering and to know what format he's using.

Dennie

Edited by Dennie

You are right, some vinyl sounds very good and it is often surprising to find quality ROCK vinyl, but it is out there. rockout.gif

I still don't know what format the OP is using or asking about, but my Led Zeppelin CD's typically sound pretty bad. "Mothership" is remastered and sounds pretty good though, but "Zep 4" is known to be... "hard to listen too"!

I just threw in "Presence" CD and it played "Nobody's Fault..." and it does sound pretty good, but not near "Audiophile" grade. The bass is a little flat/bloated and the cymbal's smear at louder volume, a victim of compression. But, it's not as bad as I had thought.

I'm curious to hear his impressions of some better mastering and to know what format he's using.

Dennie

i agree zep4 sounds pretty bad. nobodys fault is pretty "good" at best, but the 3 songs off zep2 are pretty good up loud. i stand corrected on zepplin being a "quality" recording, but some sounds good up loud. i have the same ac/dc album i will have to try out too.

as for formats, i should have clarified, i mainly play cd's but have a decent turntable & collection of 70's & 80's rock records. also have the SACD/DVD-A player i mentioned, i will have to look into some of the SACD stuff listed. so mainly looking for cd's i can get cheap at amazon or ebay. or just to pull from my collection if i have it.

all but the zepplin i listed sounds very good. i just tried one of the suggestions i happen to have, paul simon graceland. one of my favs & owned it for 20 years. but i must say, never heard it like this before, this is THE best recording so far i have played throught these speakers! seriously impressive & a lot of the "harshness" i mentioned in another post is just gone. sounds very nice at all volumes & up loud you hear the bass player & kick drums like you are there. & the horn instruments played through a horn speaker sound great. if all recordings sounded like this i'd be very happy.

Dennie

i agree zep4 sounds pretty bad. nobodys fault is pretty "good" at best, but the 3 songs off zep2 are pretty good up loud. i stand corrected on zepplin being a "quality" recording, but some sounds good up loud. i have the same ac/dc album i will have to try out too.

as for formats, i should have clarified, i mainly play cd's but have a decent turntable & collection of 70's & 80's rock records. also have the SACD/DVD-A player i mentioned, i will have to look into some of the SACD stuff listed. so mainly looking for cd's i can get cheap at amazon or ebay. or just to pull from my collection if i have it.

all but the zepplin i listed sounds very good. i just tried one of the suggestions i happen to have, paul simon graceland. one of my favs & owned it for 20 years. but i must say, never heard it like this before, this is THE best recording so far i have played throught these speakers! seriously impressive & a lot of the "harshness" i mentioned in another post is just gone. sounds very nice at all volumes & up loud you hear the bass player & kick drums like you are there. & the horn instruments played through a horn speaker sound great. if all recordings sounded like this i'd be very happy.

There you go! :emotion-19:

Enjoy the ride, you'll find many more great sounding CD's as you go through your collection again.

Keep us posted and let us know when you try some SACD's/DVD-A's.

Congratulations on the Khorns and Audio Nirvana. This is a great hobby!

Dennie drinkingcheers.gif

I've got the first pressing of Bridge of Sighs on LP and the MFSL version on CD.

I don't either of which really that great for SQ... I mean it is good, but not anywhere near great.

perhaps it's just the grungy nature of the music itself.

Edited by Schu

I've got the first pressing of Bridge of Sighs on LP and the MFSL version on CD.

I don't either of which really that great for SQ... I mean it is good, but not anywhere near great.

perhaps it's just the grungy nature of the music itself.

perhaps it is, but like Led Zep the drums and bass are where the art of the sound comes in. The MSFL version can be played loud with no irritation. The CD version of the album was tiring to listen at volumes of 90db or more.