quality music recordings?

Giggle, he said "your anus"
Did you see "Spaceballs"? The "I [heart] Uranus" bumper sticker on the Winnebago?

Yes, classic. You should check out if you have not already you might like the whole series, which I enjoyed:

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/carl-reiner-mel-brooks-i-want-sandwiches-i-want-chicken

I am such a huge fan of Mel Brooks and was of Anne Bancroft, gosh she was very attractive and so talented.

Powerful performance, but please explain the purpose of having a "Conductor". Not one musician is watching him, but he's having a good time standing there and flailing away with that little baton.

O, believe me they are all carefully following him exactly, but out of the corner of their eye. They couldn't stay together, especially in such complex music and rhythms, without sticking exactly to what the conductor is indicating for entrances and note endings. Sometimes -- not sure about this recording -- you can see a player's eyes flit to the conductor, then back to the music, etc. This is a very well practiced skill for professional players.

The conductor also gives a lot of non-verbal cues, as to the amount of emphasis and just when it comes. Watch the conductor in the closing chords of "Mars." The orchestra is unanimous in playing the cords, and conveys the drama just like the conductor does.

There is also the amazing and very exposed piccolo outburst from out of the blue in "Uranus." This has to be extremely difficult for a piccolo player to do flawlessly (these players are well up to it), and it must absolutely be done just when the conductor indicates if.

If you want, I can watch it and note exact times of examples, if you're interested and willing.

Maybe Tromprof can chime in, since he's been a professional orchestra player.

Thanks Larry, I'm going to give it another go tomorrow evening. The first time around was purely for the music listening experience, I'll try and study the musicians a bit more closely and pay better attention.

Edited by Gilbert

I've got the first pressing of Bridge of Sighs on LP and the MFSL version on CD.

I don't either of which really that great for SQ... I mean it is good, but not anywhere near great.

perhaps it's just the grungy nature of the music itself.

I have it on CD and agree that its SQ isn't great, but I like the music. That's why I'm interested in the new version. Can someone give me the details on the new version? How do you know it's the new version and is its SQ better?

The new version I have has a bunch of live tracks added to the end. The SQ is better than my vinyl original.

Release Date: 8/10/1999

Label: Capitol

UPC: 724352081127

Catalog Number: 20811

Tracks

Disc 1

1 Day of the Eagle (5:00)

2 Bridge of Sighs (5:01)

3 In This Place (4:27)

4 The Fool and Me (3:53)

5 Too Rolling Stoned (7:31)

6 About to Begin (3:43)

7 Lady Love (3:17)

8 Little Bit of Sympathy (4:27)

9 Day of the Eagle (3:48)

10 Bridge of Sighs (5:16)

11 Too Rolling Stoned (6:26)

12 Lady Love (3:12)

13 Little Bit of Sympathy (4:49)

• Like 1

I've got the first pressing of Bridge of Sighs on LP and the MFSL version on CD.

I don't either of which really that great for SQ... I mean it is good, but not anywhere near great.

perhaps it's just the grungy nature of the music itself.

I have it on CD and agree that its SQ isn't great, but I like the music. That's why I'm interested in the new version. Can someone give me the details on the new version? How do you know it's the new version and is its SQ better?

The new version I have has a bunch of live tracks added to the end. The SQ is better than my vinyl original.

Release Date: 8/10/1999

Label: Capitol

UPC: 724352081127

Catalog Number: 20811

Tracks

Disc 1

1 Day of the Eagle (5:00)

2 Bridge of Sighs (5:01)

3 In This Place (4:27)

4 The Fool and Me (3:53)

5 Too Rolling Stoned (7:31)

6 About to Begin (3:43)

7 Lady Love (3:17)

8 Little Bit of Sympathy (4:27)

9 Day of the Eagle (3:48)

10 Bridge of Sighs (5:16)

11 Too Rolling Stoned (6:26)

12 Lady Love (3:12)

13 Little Bit of Sympathy (4:49)

Thank you! I'll buy me one soon. I'm also going to buy Robin Trower's King Biscuit Flower Hour In Concert.

I bought Zeppelin's digitally remastered cd's, and gave the original cd's to a friend. Big mistake! Original recordings were much better. I have found digitally remastered cd's to be harsh, tinny, and hard to listen to.

Elton Johns 60 birthday dvd/cd is great. Some live tracks from the 70's and 80's rock.