Have any of you Cats worked for a Radio Station in the past

jacksonbart

Just curious, would be intrested in your take. I already have a job, but would love to get a LPFM license and start broadcasting locally. The technology is there. If there is no profit then ASCAP can't make a take is how I have read the law.

Edited by jacksonbart

I was a DJ for the local radio station back when I was a teenager. Man that was a long time ago. Lots of fun though. I had worked there a couple of weeks when the station manager surprised me with a check. I had never discussed money with them. I could not imagine having that much fun and getting paid for it too!!

Bob Crites

• Like 1

Just curious, would be intrested in your take. I already have a job, but would love to get a LPFM license and start broadcasting locally. The technology is there. If there is no profit then ASCAP can't make a take is how I have read the law.

Don't know but if there are legal issues with radio broadcasting, an Internet station may be feasible.

I worked in radio as on air talent for a series of stations leaving the industry in 2004

(I left the flagship Cox station in CT after 15 years). I saw changes in

technology changing opportunities in the industry. The change from analog to digital

changed how stations could supply product from local to network and if you have been

following the industry you will see most stations are owned now by just a few companies.

I jumped ship and changed to IT work because i saw the writing on the wall. I have to

say that college radio where i started was my happiest memory.

A couple of years ago, I attended an open house at the local CBC Radio One studio. I was a bit surprised to see that there were no technicians, just the three or four on-air persons. It seems the equipment is very reliable these days.

Also, some of the content comes in online, like the national news, for example, and some is sent East online.

Worked radio off and on from 1969 to 1975, including my time in the Armed Forces Radio and Television Network in SEA.

Moved on when I found there were three good paying jobs in radio:

1. Being Don Imus

2. Owning the station

3. Sales

Wasn't number one material, no money for number two, and three was downright unappealing.

Dave

This topic still intrigues me because I've got a pretty eclectic library and a 120ft tower right outside of my listening room. As an individual, I cannot apply for the appropriate license. It also seems pretty restrictive with these requirements:

• an obligation to broadcast at least 12 hours each day; and
  • an obligation to broadcast at least eight hours of locally-originated programming each day.

Additionally, there's only a broadcast radius of 1-3.5 miles, depending on 10W or 100W station.

It might be easier to just setup an internet based streaming station.

Those requirements seem to be designed to keep small stations off the air, by requiring it to be your full-time job, without sufficient broadcast range to make any commercial income possible.

The Internet sure does sound like the sensible and practical alternative.

Don't recommend it, but the FCC doesn't have remotely the resources to actually police the airwaves. As long as you aren't blocking another station and no one complains, the odds of getting caught are slim to none.

I run an illegal FM transmitter for my household distribution. It's only a watt, but 4 times the allowable. Ramsey has kits up to a 100 watts...which in a small town will pretty well cover it with a decent antenna.

Dave