Had to share this

joessportster

Setting here alone in the dark listening to James Taylor via Sony Vaio loss less WAV files thru the Schiit Uber Bifrost Into the Schiit Valhalla and into my senn hd-650 Its hard to believe it could get any better.....Ive been pondering the Audeze lcd-2 Just because i hear so many good things but times like this make me very content

Highs are nicely extended, nice decay no harshness

Mids are as good as ive ever heard with detail retrieval that's better than iv'e ever heard

Bass is nice and tight with good impact

To get close to this in my previous home stereo systems I had to spend 20 times the money, And still never heard what i can hear now, its crazyL3000.gif

• Like 1

I have enjoyed my music via headphones, they give you something that speakers don't, but I would say they are like masturbation and a speaker system is like sex with a partner. Headphones are satisfying and you're In complete control. Listening in a room via speakers can make things difficult but how could you pass it up to just masturbate?

• Like 4

Never had it explained quite as lucidly. Makes a good case for headphones versus speakers. Psychoanalysis may be a good thing.

The Schiit Bitfrost must indeed be a stepup from the $99 Modi. Some or maybe all DAC as I may understand it only get better over a month or so. Glad you are digging on it.

I have enjoyed my music via headphones, they give you something that speakers don't, but I would say they are like masturbation and a speaker system is like sex with a partner. Headphones are satisfying and you're In complete control. Listening in a room via speakers can make things difficult but how could you pass it up to just masturbate?

Post of the year nomination anyone?

• Like 1

I get the analogy, But again sometimes i think you need help :D

Post of the year, I'll vote yes

but I would say they are like masturbation and a speaker system is like sex with a partner. Headphones are satisfying and you're In complete control. Listening in a room via speakers can make things difficult but how could you pass it up to just masturbate?
:o

Headphones do many things right up there with the best of the best systems, but the imaging inside of your head instead of out in the room is where they fall down.

Love Sennheiser. Have the 600's and 595 as well as a pair of cheapies. These do not need an external amp. I bought a tube amp for them (everyone on HeadFi said you must have one) and then sold it, wasn't necessary.

• Like 1

Headphones do many things right up there with the best of the best systems, but the imaging inside of your head instead of out in the room is where they fall down.

Love Sennheiser. Have the 600's and 595 as well as a pair of cheapies. These do not need an external amp. I bought a tube amp for them (everyone on HeadFi said you must have one) and then sold it, wasn't necessary.

I totally agree with this, the biggest drawback is soundstage, When i was able to put together systems one of my main priorities was a 3d stage, i wanted it deep and wide, if it was not present then gear was swapped

This has been the hardest thing for me to adjust to, I am now entering a time where all the added sound i am getting with a 1300.00 total system is allowing me to get past the soundstage issue, I'm sure if i ever get to set up another system I will fall in love with that aspect again, but for now I think I am very content with the headphone rig

I found the HD-650 just mediocre played direct from laptop, ipod etc... adding the amp really opened up the sound tremendously. The DAC just cleaned everything up, and added a touch of analog sound. I have literally had 25000 dollars in used gear set up that i absolutely loved, I had friends come over and they were blown away by the system (I am talking about friends that knew tons more than me, and there ears put mine to shame)

This little cheap (relatively) system for my hearing blows that system away hands down, I get tons more detail, venue effects, voice literally reverberating inside acoustic guitar, stick tip on cymbals, finger plucks on strings, background noises, breath, spittle in the artist mouth. and i could go on, Highs and lows are extended nicely with good decay

The only other drawback which is likely a biggie here is you don't feel the bass, you can hear it you can hear how deep it is. Same with impact you can hear it but that's about it. As i was never a big bass head I am able to live with this ( I do often recall the best bass impact speaker i ever heard Urei 813c ) I find myself attempting to emulate that impact but it just cant (also my ears cant take it)

Haven't used headphones in about 20 years; no one in my family is disturbed when I listen at night, even if I listen pretty loud.

What, if any, benefit is there for me to use phones?

It depends on your priorities for your system, see my above responses and that should be guideline enough to tell if you would like headphones, and are willing to spend the money to get to the level of headphones that can accomplish this sound

You wont go to bestbuy and buy a pair off the shelf and hook them to an ipod and hear what i describe. It is very much like setting up a system in your home, (except cheaper prices on gear IE... american made tube OTL amp new with 5 year warranty 350.00, same for a home stereo minimum 1000.00)

Emoji_1F449.pngEmoji_1F44A.png:blink: