LaScala boxes

hugeroost

hey guys, why is it that klipsch will not sell you a set of boxes, I have read this on here several times, would sure love to have a set of boxes for my scalas that way I can haul them back and forth to my ranch a couple times a year to let em breath. You hardly ever see just boxes for sale, I just wonder if I were in Arkansaw and went by the factory could I buy a set, I have a friend in hot springs I go party with from time to time, thanks guys.....Roost

• Like 1

Are you talking about buying them and using aftermarket drivers and networks like Crites sells?

Have you considered buying a pair of used LaScala's? You could probably find a nice used pair for a grand or so, and sell the components to pay for half of that. The net cost would be substantially less than what Klipsch would sell new ones for. I expect MOST of the cost of the new LaScala is in the box construction and finish.

Also, you could have boxes built. There are plans available. That would also likely be less than Klipsch built.

Build your own. I could build a set with styrofoam for padding and painters plastic so the styrofoam would not mark the speakers.

Just need some large boxes and packing or duct tape. With 8 smaller boxes I could build a darn sturdy box for moving La Scalas.

would need 2 for a pair of La Scalas. Wal-mart has given me boxes before that were broke down but large enough to build a box for La Scala's.

John

• Like 1

hey guys, why is it that klipsch will not sell you a set of boxes, I have read this on here several times, would sure love to have a set of boxes for my scalas that way I can haul them back and forth to my ranch a couple times a year to let em breath. You hardly ever see just boxes for sale, I just wonder if I were in Arkansaw and went by the factory could I buy a set, I have a friend in hot springs I go party with from time to time, thanks guys.....Roost

Buy a beater set for $600, cover them in carpet and metal corners and add pro handles. Store in the garage and beat on them.

• Like 1

This is a good question I'd wondered about too.

I'd think on items still in production Klipsch would be happy to ship you packaging/boxes if the item is assembled in Hope and you have valid serial number(s)?

If your LS are the older style, they probably just don't have any packaging for them anymore?

I was planning on ordering some new boxes for my four LS II's when I move, so if anyone knows if this is possible, please chime in. PS: sorry for thread hijacking :)

This is a good question I'd wondered about too.

I'd think on items still in production Klipsch would be happy to ship you packaging/boxes if the item is assembled in Hope and you have valid serial number(s)?

If your LS are the older style, they probably just don't have any packaging for them anymore?

I was planning on ordering some new boxes for my four LS II's when I move, so if anyone knows if this is possible, please chime in. PS: sorry for thread hijacking :)

I don't think the speaker has changed much at all if any in size, but I"ve read on here for years klipsch would not sell you just the boxes even if you give them your serial #. I think they will though if you show up in Hope, I think I read that here too, I have a bud in Hot Springs I can call, I need to call HQ I reckon

Since La Scalas are very similar in size to washing machines or dryers, you could try getting some of those boxes where large appliances are sold. This has been mentioned on the forum once or twice.

If you could get them for free anytime, you wouldn't care if they got trashed, as long as they protected their precious contents.

Edited by Islander
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I'm surprised on not being able to order boxes. I wonder if the same is true for dealers?

If movers ever damage them, I guess they'll have to replace them with new ones (or cut me a big check) :) I didn't get the job anyways, but I'm going to apply to another next month. I came in second out of many qualified folks, so I was happy about that.

FWIW, here's how I prepped my La Scala for moving / shipping.

Supplies:

- 1/8" Hardboard paneling

- Bubble wrap

- 1" foam insulating board (for top grill models)

- Heavy duty cardboard from an appliance box

- Stretch wrap film

- Filament packaging tape

1. I applied a single layer of bubble wrap. Starting from the bottom, I formed the wrap tightly over the cabinet, but didn't tape anywhere directly to the wood. I taped a small piece of thin cardboard to the bubble wrap in the area in front of the badge, otherwise the bubble wrap would have grabbed the badge and pulled it off.

2. My cabs have grills, so I cut the foam insulating board to fit over the bass bin mouth area and fill in the area underneath the grill trim work. It was placed over the top of the bubble wrap. Decorator series wouldn't require this step.

3. I cut the hardboard to fit the top, bottom, and side surfaces, then situated them around the cabinet and affixed them to one another using the filament tape.

4. I cut the heavy duty cardboard in long, wide strips to form corner protectors all the way around. I doubled them up and affixed them with tape to hold in place temporarily.

5. Lastly, I wrapped the entire assemblage using the stretch wrap film starting over the top front to back, then over the top side to side, and then finally spiraling around (very tightly) from the bottom up.

Total ran me ~$25 in materials and took about 3 hours to complete solo. Having a second person around to hold the paneling and corner protectors in place, and tilt the box while wrapping would have greatly sped up the process.

• Like 1

the stock klipsch lascala boxes mu 2004 models came in was not suitable for transport handling....think about how washers and dryers get delivered....these boxes are designed for pallet loading and handling.

if you want to haul around some lacalas best bet is some road cases, or get a pair of metal trim lascalas or if you are not squeemish, metal trim the pair you have.