Need advice on Klipschorn.

Magic24

hi, i just got a pair of almost identical k-horns, mid 90's with the ak-3 x-overs. mine are oiled walnut.

i inquired about bi-amping & the replies i got said its not worth it. they are so efficient that one good quality amp will be more than enough. also if you look at the x-over, bi-amping isnt as simple as it looks. the main input feeds the woofer & inside the bass bin is a coil of some sort that sends the rest of the signal on to the main x-over & then to the mids & tweets. so i think you would need an external x-over or something in line from a 2nd amp that feeds the mid/tweet sections. im sure some of the experts will chime in & confirm exactly how that works.

i wanted to try bi-amping initially too as i have a few extra amps i could use, but after hooking them up to just one 200wpc amp, i find its more than enough to drive these things to concert levels & its still barelly pushing 50 watts. my 165wpc onkyo with the power level meters said i was barely hitting 50w peaks at about as loud as i could take it... & i listen to music LOUD!

try it out with just a single amp first & you will be surprised at just how much volume you get with such low power levels. also if you havent researched, you need to make sure they are sealed tight into corners. if you dont have the sealing strips on the verticle tailboard, go out & buy some 1/2" pipe insulation, it seals them to the walls how they were designed, really improves the bass.

check out some of my recent threads on my k-horns, lots of good info provided. congrats on the new speakers!

Edited by klipschfancf4

Hi and welcome. I have a pair of 2004 with AK4 and did bi-amp. I would say the difference was not that noticeable once I achieved 'balance' with the two amps and pre-amps. There was a little more richness to the sound but no 'wow' factor. I think it entirely depends on the amps/pre's you will use over one single source. I think changing the network coupled with bi-amping may have a better outcome.

all the best

I just got Klipschorn (finally) is anybody here have an experience bi-amping it? Is it better? And also I'm planning to buy a set of heathkit amplifier planning to pair it with klipschorn. Anybody here had an experience on Heatkit W6M and UA-1?

Thanks in advance!

I use SET amps with only 1.8 or 2.3 watts per channel on my horns and tweeters, so Bi-amping is a real improvement for me. I use Class 'D' chip amps on the bass bins.

Edited by Cut-Throat

very nice looking k-horns. love the oak finish too. make sure you seal them to the corners good. & hopefully you will get some expert advice on the bi amping. like i said, the ak-3 x-overs are different than most the older ones in that part of the x-over circutry is inside the bass bin & all connections are soldered, so you cant just run wires from a 2nd amp to the top mid/tweet horns i dont think.

i am curious to hear what others say on biamping. not bi-wiring, true bi amping. one amp to the bass section & one to the mid/tweets. in theory this sounds like a win win option, you could run your better sounding amp or even a tube amp to the mid/tweets & then a powerfull amp to the bass bins that can really use that power & the quality of the mid-high range sound isnt as important.

hope you get some input on that. let us know your opinions after you listen to them a bit.

i am curious to hear what others say on biamping. not bi-wiring, true bi amping. one amp to the bass section & one to the mid/tweets. in theory this sounds like a win win option, you could run your better sounding amp or even a tube amp to the mid/tweets & then a powerfull amp to the bass bins that can really use that power & the quality of the mid-high range sound isnt as important.

I run my highly modified H3 with a pair of matching re designed and rebuilt Quad 405 stereo amplifiers. Each H3 get it's own stereo amp with one channel running the woofer and the other the mid/hi horn, Biamping is not necessarily just about power but about separation. You can clip a woofer and your mid/hi section never knows the event ever happened. So you can play with enhanced dynamics cleaner. I think that you have things confused, the midrange is as PWK said where the magic lives. The mid is the most important range where your best sounding amp should be. You should strive for quality across the full range but you do need to meet the needs of the bass section, better a lower quality sounding amp on the bass that does not clip than a superb sounding amp which does clip. Vocal range is what your brain is designed to focus on and that is why it is so important.

I run with the amps in front of the crossover so not a true biamp which would have crossovers in front of the amps but I can say that I have a hard time adjusting to having to switch back to a single amp running my H3 after listening to a pair of stereo amps running them. In most cases a pair of fifty watt per channel stereo amps (which are plentiful and cheap to buy) will provide more output and sound quality than a comparable 100 watt per channel amp will. Having a pair of stereo amps can be very handy especially if one of your amps goes down or you need a loaner to go out or want to set up a system somewhere for a while you can still have stereo at home. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

I think that you have things confused, the midrange is as PWK said where the magic lives. The mid is the most important range where your best sounding amp should be. You should strive for quality across the full range but you do need to meet the needs of the bass section, better a lower quality sounding amp on the bass that does not clip than a superb sounding amp which does clip.

no confusion on that. i said to have your better sounding amp on the mid/high section & a more powerfull (less sound quality) amp on the bass section that can use the higher power & sound "quality" isnt as important. wasnt saying it was just about power, its about better sound for the mid/tweet section & removing the demand put on that amp to produce bass.

i agree you can do it the way you said too with stereo amps, but last i knew/heard/read the main benefit of bi-amping is lowering the demand on the amp to produce bass & letting it focus on the mid/tweet section... as stated, that is the more important part for overall sound quality.

I can't believe all that Heathkit gear. Where'd you get all that stuff? Reminds me of my father's monaural setup from 50+ years ago, and that's just my childhood memory. I don't have any idea when he built it.

And welcome to the forums. Those oak KHorns look sweet.

babadono

Sound quality is my main goal that's why I want to try bi-amp. Separating the high/mids and low.

Not sure about the slope but the frequencies are 100, 200, 400, 700, 1200, 2000 and 3500 CPS.

I bought all the Heathkit gear from a reputable tech. It's part of his collection. So everything has been restored and upgraded. Heathkit is his favorite gear!

• 2 weeks later...

When I finally got an electronic crossover and a pair of mono block tube amps I took the plunge, big solid state for the woofers (High Damping Factor) and 8 watts for the mid/tweeters

BEST THING I did!

Second only to getting the K Horns to begin with!

Smiles and satisfaction every time I sit down and listen