Reel to Reel guys...

Schu

Looks like quite a collection. How do you like the X-10? I have one as well as a X-7R and a 3300S. The X-10 and X-7R have issues with balky pinch rollers and I may get one or the other repaired.

When you say balky pinch rollers, do you mean they don't want to move up and engage the tape to the capstan?

Looks like quite a collection. How do you like the X-10? I have one as well as a X-7R and a 3300S. The X-10 and X-7R have issues with balky pinch rollers and I may get one or the other repaired.

When you say balky pinch rollers, do you mean they don't want to move up and engage the tape to the capstan?

The grease in the solenoid on my 3340s got dry and sticky and would slowly pull up the pinch roller. I used some solvent to clean it out and re-lubed the shaft. That was all it took. A pretty easy repair.

Bruce

Ok if we are gonna show some decks here are my two current ones. Both are highly modified all the internal electronics are bypassed, I take the output signal directly from the playback head and send it to an all tube tape pre. The sound is simply stunning...

post-18877-0-77940000-1393463018_thumb.j

post-18877-0-57460000-1393463068_thumb.j

Edited by canyonman
  • Like 1

Ok if we are gonna show some decks here are my two current ones. Both are highly modified all the internal electronics are bypassed, I take the output signal directly from the playback head and send it to an all tube tape pre. The sound is simply stunning...

Now those are some sweet decks.

• Like 1

Is that difficult to accomplish... the bypass?

Same deck I have, FR. There is a guy in Houston who works on decks as well as vintage tube stuff. He's pretty good...

Dave

Thanks for the tip Mallette it will help other members with R2Rs

However in my case it's to far to travel - a one way trip is 8344 miles from where I live ;)

Is that difficult to accomplish... the bypass?

No, not at all. On the Otari it is really simple everything is right there for you, the Studer is quite a bit more complex. Because i have it set up with a toggle switch to go from internal to external, this makes it tricky.

The grease in the solenoid on my 3340s got dry and sticky and would slowly pull up the pinch roller. I used some solvent to clean it out and re-lubed the shaft. That was all it took. A pretty easy repair.

Bruce

Any chance you could demonstrate how you do that Bruce? A couple of photos?

Your equipment is stunning! How did you lay your hands on a Studer?

I had a tape-head-only Ampex 934 back in the day, and I had to have the shortest possible I/C's to the tape head input on my Fairchild pre. Was that a capacitance issue, maybe?

Anyway, I'd never have the space, and maybe not the $$, for that Studer even if I could find one. My A-77 does just fine, fortunately.

• Like 1