Crites upgrade difference in Forte

MikeSt

Finally got some Fortes! What is the exact sonic difference with the Crites crossovers? I would like to hear more fullness, perhaps in the highbass. The highs and mids are great,.. just my first impression. These are more dynamic sounding than my KLF 20s. The mids and highs are forward and lively in the Forte, but the KLFs seen to have more all around bass and lowmids. I don't need a lot of lowbass though, so I don't miss that part.

Edited by MikeSt

I have a pair of Tangent 400s (heresy 2 components) that I loaded the cabs with Forte components. I also have proper Fortes that will be triamped soon.

The T400 cab is about 10 percent larger than the forte.

I went with a solen recap and Crites Ti tweeters.

That brought back lost details. You just could hear more from the new parts.

I agree with Dean the highs were brighter making the percieved bass less.

Later I changed the midrange cap to a mundorf sgo and difference between caps was slight to little at best.

Now these speakers have Ti mids and I think they need a lowpass circuit added to the mids. The Ti mids plays to a higher freq. than the phenolic varity. Mr. Crites offers a low pass addition.

Lastly I changed the iron core inductor for a 10ga. aircore and changed the stock transformer to a large one from germany.

I believe these improved the bass in the areas of clarity, the size of the soundstage, and provided a more natural sound.

Maybe I bought the wrong caps, but I think all of that copper improved the sound as much as or more than the caps.

I keep one forte around with a stock crossover to use as a reference and no one prefers the stock sound.

The much lower DCR of the low pass coil reduced loss and changed the port tuning somewhat, but I honestly don't know in what way. Consider that more bass is not the same as lower bass.

The difference in sound between metallized capacitors is relatively small, which is why I stopped using the high dollar variety in my builds. I think the difference in cost between a Solen or Jantzen CrossCap and a ClarityCap ESA or AudynPlus is justified because they are constructed using thicker film and have superior lead terminations. To get any significant movement in sound quality, you need to move away from metallized capacitors - unless charge coupling is utilized.

I'm really interested in knowing more about the German Autotransformer you are using, especially if it's an air core type. If you wouldn't mind, could you please send me any information you might have about the unit and how to order, thanks!

dgwescott@gmail.com

Edited by DeanG

The sound will be brighter, and so you will not hear as much bass. You will need to correct via placement and/or tone controls/EQ.

As in a lot of things its a relative thing. My Forte IIs with Crites crossovers seemed brighter too. But in playing them in a large room I thought the soundstage was terrific. They may be more revealing as well as brighter. A touch EQ makes them perfect to my ear. If not available though they are ok anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand all the technical info. The only thing I got out of this is Crites crossovers make them brighter and I should use an eq. I'm looking for beefier electric guitar sound in the speakers. When a chord is played it seems a little thin. Sorry I didn't say that before.

Edited by MikeSt

Mike did you ever upgrade the poly tweeter diaphragms in the K79 in your KLF20? also Have you listened to the Titanium mid diaphragms in a set of KLF20? best regards Moray James.

No I sold the KLF 20s. I like the Fortes a lot better. They are more like the Heresy and I liked that sound. The Heresys still have a beefier guitar sound though that I miss.

Edited by MikeSt

The Crites Ti tweeters make a big difference to, They seem to add a whole 'nuther layer to the high end, to remove the blanket so to speak. I have them on my Cornwalls, Fort'e, Quartets and in my Sons KG 5.5s. They are a very inexpensive but substantial upgrade.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith