Savethestereo.com

John Chi-town

I am old enough to remember the "save the mono" movement.

I'm totally with them on getting more people into quality music listening again, but stereo isn't going to cut it. People expect higher fidelity these days.

Dave

Dave would you share what your think is higher fidelity than a good two channel stereo rig? I ask because while to me surround HT can be lots of fun it is not cheap and I have not heard one yet that is better all around ( to me) than a good stereo. I constantly have friends that listen to my stereo who are amaze that this level of fidelity is even possible playing a CD. A friend has a Mac set up playing very high Rez files which simply blow me away on two channel. Granted his rig is not your average home stereo as he has about 35 - 40K dollars in his system. I know that the average stuff out there is not amazing for the money but with 3 - 5 K and some sweat effort a DIYer can have a very nice sounding system even less if you know what you are up to. That said entry level stereo is a lot better than it was ten just years ago. What is available in the market will be depend upon what the consumer demands. Looking forward to your comments as I may have been missing out on quality sound I did not know was there. Best regards Moray James.

Dave would you share what your think is higher fidelity than a good two channel stereo rig?

Anything that provides accurate fidelity, and it should cost no more than 2 more channels and 2 more speakers and no more trouble to play than any other format.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Dave would you share what your think is higher fidelity than a good two channel stereo rig?

Anything that provides accurate fidelity, and it should cost no more than 2 more channels and 2 more speakers and no more trouble to play than any other format.

Dave

Sorry Dave but what part of this am I missing? It sounded like you were saying that stereo was a bust or would not cut it. So what is out there which delivers higher fidelity to present day 2 channel stereo? I am seriously interested to know. As I said I have been working on getting good old stereo to work for so long I could have easily missed something new. Sounds like you are suggesting a four channel set up can you elaborate? Best regards Moray James.

I love wathcing movies on my system, and i do. When i listend to music, i pop it into 2.1, and im good to go.

For me, each one has its place, One is not better than the other, One is just different, and has a sepecific use, and so does the other.

Edited by Turbox

It sounded like you were saying that stereo was a bust or would not cut it.

Don't confuse "fidelity," or "faithfulness" to simple flat response with minimum distortion. Imagine yourself with some sort of sound absorbing material behind your ears that completely eliminated all sounds from 180 degrees behind you. The world would be entirely different. That is what 2 channel delivers. It cannot deliver anything like "reality" or "faithfulness" to an acoustic space/time event anymore than a TV set, no matter how high the resolution, can deliver an image that will fool my cat.

I really have a hard time understanding why this is so hard for so many to grasp. No acoustic space/time event emanates from 180 degrees. A thunderstorm, a symphony concert, or live rock and roll has elements for all directions that bring it alive to us. Otherwise, we wouldn't go so much.

I am hardly anti 2 channel. I have a couple of thousand LPs, terabytes of digital. Hundreds of 78s as well and all these are musical treasures of the past to me. But I yearn for REAL fidelity, recordings that completely recreate an acoustic time/space event in a way that virtually eliminates the room as a factor. It's a BIG factor in 2 channel playback, but my experiments have demonstrated that in a correctly set up 4 channel sound field with 4 channel material, the room factor is so reduced that people will look in directions for events sound cues suggest that couldn't possibly be happening in the listening space.

That's what I am after...

Dave