Savethestereo.com

John Chi-town

It cannot deliver anything like "reality" or "faithfulness" to an acoustic space/time event anymore than a TV set, no matter how high the resolution, can deliver an image that will fool my cat.
Dave, just to play devil's advocate here for two seconds...try having your TV professionally calibrated and it will fool your cat with an HD signal. Naturally, just like audio, we have to be playing something our cats would actually find interesting in the first place. ;)

Dave, just to play devil's advocate here for two seconds...try having your TV professionally calibrated and it will fool your cat with an HD signal. Naturally, just like audio, we have to be playing something our cats would actually find interesting in the first place.

I've seen such. Didn't do a thing for me worth the money. The picture was still flat as a pancake. It's real when I can walk turn around and face the rear and see what is there. That will require perfected holography, something certainly will happen but with no really known timeline at present.

In a faithfully reproduced sound field, when I change my position the field should allow me to hear precisely what I would if I did the above. Carver attempted this and even used the term "Sonic Holography," but it never delivered.

Dave

Times change. I can't see any reason young people would pay much attention to what he is doing or saying. There's just no way to compare 2014 to 1968. I think he's sailing upwind here for no understandable reason.

Agreed. The whole website (I read almost everything) has this air of an undefined idea and he's really stretching to convince people that it matters. If you want to be a visionary, then you need to be providing the solution, not complaining about the status quo.....especially if you're trying to attract the younger generation.

Oh, and that survey is obnoxious.

I suppose if I were pressed to explain it, I would say this. He's already a publisher. He certainly understands what a monetized web site would mean to his income. So, my guess is that he sees a future web site filled with ads and gains a nice income from promoting what looks like a good idea to many people, ESPECIALLY those who sell um, high end audio.

And saves his stereo in the process...