Suggestions on AVR to match new setup

timdog5000

Hello all, I will soon be receiving my new B and K 200.7 (thanks Youth!) I also have my Klipsch RF 7ii 7 channel speaker system on its way. i've read numerous times how the B& K will warm up the tone on the RF sevens, but what AVR do I add to it? Willand suggested a more neutral AVR like Onkyo or NAD. My first instinct was to take

his advice and run with the Onkyo. The only reason I am not,( no offense willand:) ) is that I can get a better deal on a Denon. anyone have any suggestions between the Onkyo or Denon will I be happier with the Onkyo because it is more neutral not having any experience with any of these brands Im at everyone's mercy. thanks for any and all replies and a special nod to you willland. :)

Scrappy has a Pioneer Elite for sale here on the forum.

My buddy owns a car stereo store and is a distributer for some AVR brands and is giving me a credit to turn in my Yamaha he sold me a couple years ago, so need to stay with his brands Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo. with my yamaha cant eq sub or set crossover for individual speakers. YPAO dosent seem as good as Audyssey by far.

How about the Denon X4000, since you can get a good deal onit... Or even the 4520?

I guess my real question is, is Denon considered warm also and then I will be pairing a warm amp with a warm AVR will that create issues? both of those Denon receiver's are an option but he is giving me $900 credit for my amp which is crazy since I've had it for two years. I would prefer to stay as low as I can go and still have Adyssey x 32 and pre outs. thanks for your input

How about the Denon X4000, since you can get a good deal onit... Or even the 4520?

I guess my real question is, is Denon considered warm also and then I will be pairing a warm amp with a warm AVR will that create issues? both of those Denon receiver's are an option but he is giving me $900 credit for my amp which is crazy since I've had it for two years. I would prefer to stay as low as I can go and still have Adyssey x 32 and pre outs. thanks for your input

If you are getting $900 for your old one in trade you will be getting the X4000 for under $100!

I guess my real question is, is Denon considered warm also and then I will be pairing a warm amp with a warm AVR will that create issues?

Every Denon piece I have owned(POA-1500, PRA-1500, DCD-3520, DCD-1500,PMA-1080R, PMA-770,etc.) have been about as close to neutral as as you can get. I can't say for certain about the modern AVRs but my understanding is they are slightly on the warmer side of neutral, but that is just hear say.

Bill

I guess my real question is, is Denon considered warm also and then I will be pairing a warm amp with a warm AVR will that create issues?

Every Denon piece I have owned(POA-1500, PRA-1500, DCD-3520, DCD-1500,PMA-1080R, PMA-770,etc.) have been about as close to neutral as as you can get. I can't say for certain about the modern AVRs but my understanding is they are slightly on the warmer side of neutral, but that is just hear say.

Bill

that being said Bill if it is a tad to the warmer side, will that coupled with the warmness of the amp Hurt my sound? if not I'll go with the Devon if so I'll go to Onkyo.

Bill

that being said Bill if it is a tad to the warmer side, will that coupled with the warmness of the amp Hurt my sound? if not I'll go with the Devon if so I'll go to Onkyo.

I have no experience with Denon AVRs except what I have briefly listened to in Best Buys or SoundAdvice.

With that said, I really do think either the Denon or Onkyo would be good choices.

Bill

I guess my real question is, is Denon considered

warm also and then I will be pairing a warm amp with a warm AVR will that create issues?

Every Denon piece I have owned(POA-1500,

PRA-1500, DCD-3520, DCD-1500,PMA-1080R, PMA-770,etc.) have been about as close to

neutral as as you can get. I can't say for certain about the modern AVRs but my understanding is they are slightly on the warmer side of neutral, but that is just hear say.

Bill

that being said Bill if it is a tad to the warmer side, will that coupled with the warmness of the amp Hurt my sound? if not I'll go with the

Devon if so I'll go to Onkyo.

I have no experience with Denon AVRs except

what I have briefly listened to in Best Buys or SoundAdvice.

With that said, I really do think either the Denon

or Onkyo would be good choices.

Bill

Thanx!

I would get a Denon. I would not be concerned with setting individual xo as oppose to using a global xo for all the speakers, not a big factor in improving SQ of the system.

Thanx derrickdj, I appreciate the info. My thinking was maybe I could set the crossover so that the sevens got more bass than the surrounds and center. I've always read though that 80 was a great starting point.

timgog, if you will be using a sub, that what should do all the heavy lifting as far as HT bass. I run my system set on small, xo at 80 Hz and the RF7's still produce a lot of bass. All of my 12 in. and 15 in. subs did a better job in the HT than the RF 7's set to large and xo lower. I perfer music in 2.x using a sub also. Using a sub add headroom to the system and better power management of the system. PM is way under valued and can have a big impact on SQ.

The most important thing is the subs can be placed in the room where they give the room the best bass, the other speakers can't be placed there. Location, location, location, of the sub is the key to good bass for HT or 2.x listening.

Edited by derrickdj1

I own denon and onkyo. Both contain audyssey. Both will sound the same. Period. And I do have a very nice elite for sale like Budman mentioned. From everything I have read the pioneer elites are crazy good. I know they can be custom tailored much more than any receiver with audyssey. Once audyssey is on on the denon you can't do any tweaking. Pioneer has all kinds of adjustments.

I own denon and onkyo. Both contain audyssey. Both will sound the same. Period. And I do have a very nice elite for sale like Budman mentioned. From everything I have read the pioneer elites are crazy good. I know they can be custom tailored much more than any receiver with audyssey. Once audyssey is on on the denon you can't do any tweaking. Pioneer has all kinds of adjustments.

Thats a mean looking Pioneer, just looked at the specs. If my buddy would give me cash for my Yammy i would be on it like blue bonnitt. Im pretty sure hes giving it to me on instore credit only, it would be dumb to do otherwise.