Thread CRAPPING Honey Pot

Thaddeus Smith

• Moderators

We have had a glasstop for years now, I wanted gas but the wife wanted electric. She told me if I was going to be the one to clean it we could get whatever I wanted, so she picked glasstop. 

The bad part is I started doing the cooking so now I clean the stove.  :mellow:

I've had experience with them at the in-laws.  I know for a fact they will not suit my style.  At our old apartment we had a drop in with cal-rod units and the thing was still going strong after at least 40 years.  The house is not set up for gas so that's not an option.

• Moderators

It's just a Kenmore, I just don't like electric. We were remodeling years ago and added an island with the stove on one end, it just so happened to be where there was a strip of wood in the cement as an expansion joint so I carved out part of it and could have run a gas line or a wire for electric. It would have been propane if it were gas, at least I don't have to have a propane tank outside to keep up with, except a small one for the bbq pit.

We have had a glasstop for years now, I wanted gas but the wife wanted electric. She told me if I was going to be the one to clean it we could get whatever I wanted, so she picked glasstop. 

I do most of the cooking. Wife does most of the cleaning. I call it a fair trade.  :)

Watching the oven coil (electric) destruct.  It's only 32 years old.  I'm getting upset that things don't last anymore.  i'll look into a repair, or possible replacement, but no way will I go glasstop.

Are you talking about the coil slowly burning from one end to the other? I watched one do that. Replacement coils aren't that expensive.

I do most of the cooking. Wife does most of the cleaning. I call it a fair trade.  :)

That's the deal at my place too. 

+1 on the glass top.

• Moderators

The wife likes her glass top just fine too. Maybe you just like chopping wood?

Keith

Well i do chop alot of wood to cook also, almost all meat is cooked on the smoker, It uses wood, but it's well worth it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
I do most of the cooking. Wife does most of the cleaning. I call it a fair trade. 

I do most of the cleaning also, in the kitchen at least, but I can't complain I get away with alot with everything else.  

Watching the oven coil (electric) destruct.  It's only 32 years old.  I'm getting upset that things don't last anymore.  i'll look into a repair, or possible replacement, but no way will I go glasstop.

Are you talking about the coil slowly burning from one end to the other? I watched one do that. Replacement coils aren't that expensive.

It's about to or already did break in one spot.  Glowing red in one place and even slightly sparking.  It's the bottom coil, and I plan to check out the part online.  Hopefully I will be able to access from the front.

Not sure what all the negativity is around glass top stoves, I've had both in the past and the smooth top and now induction is tons better than the coils, but why not do away with all of those and stick a 100lb bottle on the side of the home and switch to propane if you don't have natural gas available, you will never turn back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They suck.  You can't use traditional techniques or in some cases traditional cook ware without walking on eggshells.  When they crack (oh yes they crack) the replacement cost is the same as buying a new one, so they are basically expensive disposables.  I notice you now have induction.  Good decision.

Not sure what all the negativity is around glass top stoves, I've had both in the past and the smooth top and now induction is tons better than the coils, but why not do away with all of those and stick a 100lb bottle on the side of the home and switch to propane if you don't have natural gas available, you will never turn back.

Now we're cooking with gas!

Now we're cooking with gas!

Been cooking with gas for years both cooktop and oven. Also, heating the house, grilling on the bbq, drying clothes with natural gas and would never go back to electricity. 

• Like 1

Been cooking with gas for years both cooktop and oven. Also, heating the house, grilling on the bbq, drying clothes with natural gas and would never go back to electricity.

Sounds great, except for the heretical bbq part.  Gas unfortunately is not an option for us.