Thread CRAPPING Honey Pot

Thaddeus Smith

They were purchased by a really nice local family, and that certainly made it easier for everyone on this end. A couple of updates from the buyers over the last day or so indicates that everyone is fitting in wonderfully and enjoying their new digs. We bought a few new chicks as consolation yesterday. Then two more kids from our other doe were born today.. so plenty of distractions for the girls. :)

13 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

What type of goats?   What does a goat go for nowadays if I may ask? 

I sold mine for $75 each. I'm not looking to make a living from it and my kids are mix breeds. The buck is a papered Nigerian Dwarf, but the does are Nigerian/Nubian mix - so I can't really expect any people to buy for show (where the money is), mostly people looking for pets or decent stock to milk, etc.

• Moderators

A lamb and 2 chickens for an average goat 🐂:lol:

Daughters friend came over yesterday, they cooked, he cooked two different things one was lamb and one goat, both with vegetables and baked. Also lamb chops on the grill, I ate one.

It was good but I'm just not a lamb or goat person, it was tender but just not normal for me. I read it's actually lower in fat and better for you, but not for me I guess, the middle eastern seasoning was also new to me, could have been part of it ?

• Like 2

It's certainly different, but we've been enjoying it. maybe out of necessity, since we're trying to be more self sufficient with our protein sources and we've planted a flag on goats instead of cattle? I had four that were all the same age - we butchered two in february and the yield was so-so. The other two have grown a bit bigger since that time and we'll probably butcher within the next month or so - they've been raised on the same pasture, so it's also a bit of an experiment to see what an extra 4-6 months does to the meat flavor and texture. We've got a young Boer buck and an older Boer doe - hoping to breed them for meat stock, but we'll see how that turns out.

• Moderators

Well there all mutton :o

Maby part of my problem was the first time I tried it was on a cruise and it looked like roast beef and they were just slicing it, it had a totally different texture and this was only the second time I tried it. This was much better but he is from Egypt and I would imagine has done this most of his life, it was as tender as any meat i ever tried, I just had a problem getting past the goat thing. It's all in my head probably, the lamb chops were tiny, I teased my daughter it must have been a cute little lamb, i got that look. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Mutt goats....gotta love em.

Yup.. "starter" herd that fit our budget. I'm sure over the years we'll refine things and stick within pure breeds (papered or not), but for now these animals have been perfect. Great temperment, healthy, and producing well enough for us.

27 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

No offense, lamp chops, DELICIOUS.  you got some good looking goats there and self sufficient is the way to be 

None taken - I've eaten two of my goats so far, two more are slated for butcher, and these two new ones will likely be the same.

• 1 month later...