Thread CRAPPING Honey Pot

Thaddeus Smith

Just ordered some fresh cherries for my desktop.. These will be hooked up to my Maynard SEP amp for a small office system.

RP-160M-Angle-Cherry_635544918689716000_

That should sound nice!   Now you need a small subwoofer..........................................

That should sound nice!

They're not very small, so far as PC speakers are concerned, but they take up a lot less space than my Franken-Walls did.  They'll certainly be perfect for near field listening

Now you need a small subwoofer..........................................

:emotion-14: ..............it would need to accommodate speaker level pass-through so I can still use my tube amp without a pre. 

oh snap! my little DAC has both 3.5mm out and RCA out, with this explanation. So I could run the RCA's to the tube amp and the 3.5mm to any sub and just adjust the sub on-board crossover accordingly:

RCA Output: Same as above, with 3.5mm and USB jacks at front, plus additional RCA line output jacks on the rear side. Available exclusively in Black. ODAC has a single output stage; both 3.5mm and RCA outputs are driven simultaneously. You may connect any two devices each with input impedance of at least 10k.

You're not limited to a plate amp that includes high level inputs now either.

good to know, that was part of my concern.. an 8" box doesn't leave much surface area.

I would still recommend a plate amp as they have adjustable crossover and phase.  Mount it outboard in it's own separate box if necessary.

Edited by CECAA850

Save up for THIS, put it in a small box, add a small plate amp with high level inputs and you're good to go.

If I'm not mistaken, those are the same drivers I used when I built the spud.

Just a thought on the amp for the sub you haven't built, nor considered until Carl gave you a little nudge, I'm really happy with the SA230 over a plate amp, yes, it's a little more money, but it's a 5 year warranty and it's already in a box and looks good with easy access adjustments.  If you watch, they put them on sale for $220 from time to time.

Now, since your thread has such a distinct title, here's my thread crapping answer.

1.  Post those speakers in the right thread (what I got today) are you a rookie or something?

2.  If you want to talk about subs, believe it or not, there's actually a section for that too and you can discuss amps while you're at it.

3.  Those speakers you purchased look a little small. 

:P

Nice purchase!

yes, it's a little more money,

C'mon Alice, it's over twice the price.  Is that how you talked your husband into that big engagement ring? :P

I don't know this Alice that you speak of, but in reference to the ring, totally my fault as I failed to speak about the "budget" prior to sending her shopping only thinking that we were on the same page.  Ironically, what she picked out was more than twice what I had in mind.  On a serious note, time is money and when you factor in that now he's going to build a box, simple as that is if you happen to have a shop and have all the materials laying around and it's not going to be a finished box, you can blow through $100 in time, trips to Lowe's or the hardware store, now you really want it a little more finished look so more time, even for a painted finish.  You know the deal, and there are times that the $125 spent to be plug and play will far outweigh the upfront savings.  I didn't even factor in the cost of alcohol involved with many builds! :o

On a serious note, time is money and when you factor in that now he's going to build a box

He (or someone) will be building the sub box so it's no biggie.  4 small pieces of birch is all it takes.  He might even know someone who likes doing that kind of stuff.  You never know. :rolleyes:

Alcohol can NEVER be factored into the cost of a build.  If you did, no one would ever DIY as it wouldn't be cost effective anymore. 

1.  Post those speakers in the right thread (what I got today) are you a rookie or something?

i ordered them today, they haven't arrived yet. :P

For home theater, sure. They'll be on my desk, on either side of my 27" monitor and about 30" from my head. I consider them to be gigantic headphones.

i ordered them today, they haven't arrived yet. :P

For home theater, sure. They'll be on my desk, on either side of my 27" monitor and about 30" from my head. I consider them to be gigantic headphones.

I was being sarcastic damn it!  :wink:  I have a pair of RB 5's to the L&R of my screen and a small sub so it's going to sound great!  I really need to get a small amp to power the 5's because they are currently taking up one of my Carvers and it's way overkill.  I actually have my main tower and desk set up (all living space is open) so I can just run everything through the main system and you're sitting centered up on the RF7's and that was part of the remodel plan because I have a disease caused by this place. 

• Like 1