What is your HT bottleneck?

javelin

For me, I see my RS-42 as my bottleneck. This is a nice little gem but I'd like something bigger
to "match" the others.

Then replace my RS-3II to match. I know the RS-3II is older but it does its job pretty well up on
that wall.

And then my Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD blu-ray player. It's an awesome player but it's just darn
way too slow when loading blu-ray movies.

post-26004-0-01210000-1392909247_thumb.j

• Like 2

You have a beautiful HT. How do you like the Reference center with your LaScala's?

I have several HT systems in place, and I will agree that BluRay slowness is very annoying. Maybe there is a list of BluRay load times on the web somewhere. I've looked, and the only thing close to it I could find was Consumer Reports, and you have to subscribe to see it.

• Moderators

As far as speakers and electronics, I can't think of anything that I feel that is a bottleneck. I'm very impressed with the sound and picture quality.

The only thing I might consider as a bottleneck in my system is my false wall. I love how it looks and it provides a "finished" look to the front wall but there are some drawbacks. It effects the sound of the main speakers due to the acoustics of them being somewhat "enclosed" instead of being out in the open. For the past several months, I have had them out in the open in front of the "doors" on the false wall and prefer the sound. The false wall also limits me to a max of 103" screen and unless I move to an AT screen, the center channel is up very high angled downwards towards my listening area. My guess is it would sound even better if the center channel was behind the screen.

Sometime in the future, with the help of WakeJunkie, we will build a new front wall so that the mains can be featured out in front and not enclosed but also accommodate a larger screen that is AT so that I can place the RC-64ii behind it.

• Like 1

bottle neck? weak link?

maybe the fact that I only run 3.1 right now when watching movies, but I am still happy.

I to am unhappy with "handshake" issues... load times don't really bother me anywhere near as much as goddamn previews and pre movie advertising.

I love those few disks I have that go directly to the menu page.

• Like 1

• Moderators

My fear was I had small children and we often have their friends over at the house. I figured if they were behind the wall, they would not get damaged. Now that my youngest is 8 and they know they will lose a finger if they touch my speakers :P , I feel more safe having them out in the open.

I'd caution you on upgrading your surrounds just for the sake of matching your larger fronts since so little meaningful content is actually sent to the surround channels. Are you actually noticing a problem, or are you just focusing on the model number? I'd say keep your existing speakers and spend that cash on an Oppo.

• Moderators

What if both of your systems are "pretty"? :D

Larbo, I know what Thaddeus is saying and I agree, upgrading your surround backs probably won't be that big of a difference. If you wanted to upgrade your surrounds, I would upgrade the side surrounds since they receive a good amount of information. You could leave the RS-42 for surround back and upgrade the RS-35 to either the RS-52 or RS-62.

• Like 1

Larbo, I know what Thaddeus is saying and I agree, upgrading your surround backs probably won't be that big of a difference. If you wanted to upgrade your surrounds, I would upgrade the side surrounds since they receive a good amount of information. You could leave the RS-42 for surround back and upgrade the RS-35 to either the RS-52 or RS-62.

Sorry, i was speaking specifically to Javelin's surrounds. What he already has in place isn't too shabby.

That's what I said my side surrounds :P my rear surrounds are rf-82 not changing though one's . Well mmm don't think so. :lol:

• Moderators

That's what I said my side surrounds :P my rear surrounds are rf-82 not changing though one's . Well mmm don't think so. :lol:

My bad, I meant to comment the OP and typed Larbo instead of Javelin. I was commenting on his setup.

You have a beautiful HT. How do you like the Reference center with your LaScala's?

I have several HT systems in place, and I will agree that BluRay slowness is very annoying. Maybe there is a list of BluRay load times on the web somewhere. I've looked, and the only thing close to it I could find was Consumer Reports, and you have to subscribe to see it.

Thanks mustang. I've updated my blu-ray's firmware several times already but none had improved the load times. It's really annoying.

If anyone knows of a speedy blu-ray player, please share - maybe I'd be interested... :)

As far as speakers and electronics, I can't think of anything that I feel that is a bottleneck. I'm very impressed with the sound and picture quality.

The only thing I might consider as a bottleneck in my system is my false wall. I love how it looks and it provides a "finished" look to the front wall but there are some drawbacks. It effects the sound of the main speakers due to the acoustics of them being somewhat "enclosed" instead of being out in the open. For the past several months, I have had them out in the open in front of the "doors" on the false wall and prefer the sound. The false wall also limits me to a max of 103" screen and unless I move to an AT screen, the center channel is up very high angled downwards towards my listening area. My guess is it would sound even better if the center channel was behind the screen.

Sometime in the future, with the help of WakeJunkie, we will build a new front wall so that the mains can be featured out in front and not enclosed but also accommodate a larger screen that is AT so that I can place the RC-64ii behind it.

Good info... I have been debating doing a baffle wall or leaving it open behind the screen to allow the back waves to return into the HT room.