What is your HT bottleneck?

javelin

What if both of your systems are "pretty"? :D

Larbo, I know what Thaddeus is saying and I agree, upgrading your surround backs probably won't be that big of a difference. If you wanted to upgrade your surrounds, I would upgrade the side surrounds since they receive a good amount of information. You could leave the RS-42 for surround back and upgrade the RS-35 to either the RS-52 or RS-62.

i don't think any of the cinema gear is nice enough looking to wanna have out in view. Except for them cherry jubilees Edited by Scrappydue

My "bottleneck" has always been space.

My rooms have always been too small to pull off a proper 360 arc that satisfies all acoustic restrictions....in particular, the surround channels.

It needn't be the size of an actual theater, but the ideal sure ain't no standard-sized living room either. :unsure:

• Like 1

If we are talking the weakest link, mine would have to be the projector. It is several years old now and is only a 720. When new it was not bleeding edge but pretty advanced, now it is run of the mill for lower end setups. 120 inch DaLight screen is nice though :D

Sound system Yamaha 663 (I think) feeding a Fort'e 3 and a Yamaha M80 for fronts and sides while the AVR takes up the center and rear duties. B.A. sub (could be better) speakers are Acadmy center, Quartet mains, Heresy 2s as sides and KG 2.5s as rear. All in all we are happy and have been for several years. One day when the bulb goes out on the projector, I will use that as a reason to "upgrade" LOL! Only about 500 hours left on the 2000 hour bulb

• Like 1

The room since it's not finished and I'm running 3.2 for now in the living room that is to small and no room for the surrounds. Two of the Hersey's are on the computers mmmm nice near fields 5 new custom doors and 4 windows new wood floor power upgrade running gas for fireplace plus 2 total guts on bathrooms. S### what did I do..

• Like 1

My fear was I had small children and we often have their friends over at the house. I figured if they were behind the wall, they would not get damaged. Now that my youngest is 8 and they know they will lose a finger if they touch my speakers :P , I feel more safe having them out in the open.

Half-way my HT build process, I immediately put a warning sign, though less threathening but they get the point.

post-26004-0-58670000-1392930968_thumb.j

Notice, the two RF-3II in the pic. My original fronts since HT built 5yrs ago. Now, I'll be putting these up for sale along withe RC-3II to get me RS-5/6 II and replace the RS-3II :)

Since I just got the RC-64, cash is 0 and WAF for new surrounds is like -10. :sad:

Edited by javelin
  • Like 1

Mine not being done.

Keep going. You're almost there.

It took me a year to build mine. The year includes every weekend, summer break, and some vacations. I kept the project small and worked in phases; eg, carpentry work, wiring(electrical and low voltage), wall, ceiling, flooring, painting, etc so that each time I finished one phase, I know I'm getting closer to the end result. I did everything myself(no relative close by to help), except for laying down the carpet - I had someone come in to do it for me. The most important part of the project is the planning and many drawings that helped guide me.

I can't wait to see your HT and the final results!

Mine not being done.

Keep going. You're almost there.

It took me a year to build mine. The year includes every weekend, summer break, and some vacations. I kept the project small and worked in phases; eg, carpentry work, wiring(electrical and low voltage), wall, ceiling, flooring, painting, etc so that each time I finished one phase, I know I'm getting closer to the end result. I did everything myself(no relative close by to help), except for laying down the carpet - I had someone come in to do it for me. The most important part of the project is the planning and many drawings that helped guide me.

I can't wait to see your HT and the final results!

Hey thanks for the words of encouragement.

Two things;

1. The room. I'm unable to use the full basement length/width because there's a lally column smack dab in the middle of it. As such the useable area's a multipurpose media room.

2. Center channel speaker. Prior to adding a NAD amp the RC-25 center blended with the front La scalas after some extensive Audyssey/SPL meter efforts. Now, not so well.

Center channel speaker. Prior to adding a NAD amp the RC-25 center blended with the front La scalas after some extensive Audyssey/SPL meter efforts. Now, not so well.

The amp should not change the blending of the center channel with the mains or am I reading this wrong?

• Moderators

Mine is my room size, with all these big speakers, I need more space... that's it, im selling it all for some cube speakers...you know the ones im talking a out...

BUT, you must realize you could also fill a small movie theater with that set !

I know better, you could not switch to anything smaller after hearing that.

• Moderators

Mine is easy, a better Receiver, no HDMI or new codes for BR it's so old.

It's not a big deal, only watch a movie a few times a year. Probably will replace it one day because of feeling guilty for the speakers, forte ll's deserve better.

• Like 1

Use a PC and rip the blu-rays to iso files. 4TB drives are so cheap now, I built a home server with several of them.

The setup I use is My Movies + Windows Media Center + Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater 5 (TMT 5). TMT 5 takes about 8 seconds to load, while PowerDVD 9 took less than 4 seconds. I still use TMT though as it allows for real time scaling, and the scaling looks amazing too. A PC is the way to go unless you really must bit-stream DSD without converting it to PCM (then consider one of the newer Oppo players). I also use Flexraid, so if any two drives fail, I can rebuild them both.

And then my Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD blu-ray player. It's an awesome player but it's just darn
way too slow when loading blu-ray movies.

• Like 1

Use a PC and rip the blu-rays to iso files. 4TB drives are so cheap now, I built a home server with several of them.

The setup I use is My Movies + Windows Media Center + Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater 5 (TMT 5). TMT 5 takes about 8 seconds to load, while PowerDVD 9 took less than 4 seconds. I still use TMT though as it allows for real time scaling, and the scaling looks amazing too. A PC is the way to go unless you really must bit-stream DSD without converting it to PCM (then consider one of the newer Oppo players). I also use Flexraid, so if any two drives fail, I can rebuild them both.

And then my Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD blu-ray player. It's an awesome player but it's just darn

way too slow when loading blu-ray movies.

Great idea. I have a 1TB(mirrored) NAS for my iTunes music and movies(HD). My blu-ray player has a 10/100 net port and will try hook it up and see if the quality is good. I'm afraid that with only 10/100, HD quality maybe degraded but will soon find out.