Which Klipschorns to keep?

Magic24

I just acquired another Klipschorns from trade. One of my friend want to buy the other one. So I don't know which one to keep?

1985 khorns 10/10 condition ak-2 crossover

or

1993 khorns 9/10 condition ak-3 crossover

Both same color oak finish.

So what's the different between with ak-3 crossover and ak-2 crossover? And which is the best or worst year of Klipschorns?

Thanks in advance!

some will say newer is better, less wear & tear & time on the drivers etc. but i think i have read the older k55-v mid driver is "better" than the k55-m, for whatever reason.

sorry i dont know the dIfferences in the years & x-overs, but my suggestion is to keep ALL 4!

Thanks! I want to keep all the 4 but it's too big to keep it. Neighbor will hate me! Lol!

Keep both pairs. Your total volume (Soud Pressure Level) does not have to be even 1 dB higher with 4 than 2. In fact dividing the Sound Pressure between 4 corners may relieve the neighbor on one side, even though it curses the neighbor on the other side. Share the wealth! Put one Klipschorn in each of 4 corners of the same room. There was a lengendary dance hall in a New York loft with that set-up, and McIntosh amplification, and the dancers and hangers-on were in ecstasy!

• Like 1

For what it's worth the K55M diaphragm is no longer available but one can be sorted out but it involves buying a different diaphragm assembly with the same actual diaphragm but a non fitting assembly and swapping the new diaphragm into your old assembly. So you can get there from here but you have to do some dancing. The Atlas driver diaphragm on the other hand is very much available. Think if it was me I would keep the K55M. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

I expect that DJK can tell you which parts you would need to get.

Edited by moray james

first of all congrats on your speakers, i bought my first set of klipsch speakers back in 1990 time frame a set of k-horns in cherry oil. had a set of 88 oak oil a set of 03 walnut oil and my present set of 69 in walnut oil. in my case i would have to sell both sets and buy a set in walnut ( not a fan of oak ) but i'd go with the 85's. a lot less grain

looks like the cloth is loose on the newer pair.

for those who love the look of oak veneer the newer set is the one to keep

sorry not much help from me.

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1