MFSL VS Redbook CD's

joessportster

I just noticed I have a copy of queen the game in both redbook from there boxset, and also a MFSL version of the disk ripped at lossless WAV,

I have not compared the 2 through listening tests, although that is on the agenda for tonight

I was under the impression that MFSL was a better recording and supposed to offer more detail, which to my mind would mean more info, Which would then translate as a larger file (maybe not much larger but certainly larger.

After comparing the size of the files they are exactly the same,

SO (and you knew this was coming) How the heck can there be more info on the MFSL version

I am assuming there real claim is they master there version with more treble or bass etc...what ever fits there criteria for how they believe the album should sound

I have heard several MFSL vinyl albums and almost unanimously feel they sounded better, I have heard a few MFSL CD's on open air systems, and honestly could not hear a difference

Later this evening I will see if I can hear a difference with headphones

Of course if I am wrong im sure someone will point it out :emotion-21:

Maybe little less compression, but I don't they are lossless, I could be wrong though.

http://www.bsnpubs.com/la/mofi/mofi.html

Maybe you have a hybrid disk that includes normal and SACD data?

Nope no hybrids here, Just a plain old redbook from 12 years or so ago when i received the box set as a gift, and a MFSL gold disc

These would definitely beat the Redbook copies. The Game in DVDA and A Night at the Opera in Bluray Audio. I sure would like to give these a test drive. I have Rush, Moving Pictures in Blu Ray and it is incredible.

I bet the Bass line and drums in Dragon Attack in DTS Master would give you goose bumps

41SMV8FQ1PL.jpg

418xl3TIIHL.jpg

Edited by Max2

do you think that either one of them will probably sound pretty damn good on the system?

well then...

I will likely be happy with either, I was looking around at different so called Hi Fi recordings, and sites that offer them, when it struck me I had a few albums ripped from MFSL Then it struck me odd that they used the same amount of disc space on my hard drive

bluray pure audio... I have DVD-a, but I dont have any of those. I'm gonna have to look into that one.

I take it Pure lossless uncompressed signal files?

Funny... I don't see that on the queen website even though it references it on the back of the BD. are these Chinese made?

Edited by Schu

These would definitely beat the Redbook copies. The Game in DVDA and A Night at the Opera in Bluray Audio. I sure would like to give these a test drive. I have Rush, Moving Pictures in Blu Ray and it is incredible.

I bet the Bass line and drums in Dragon Attack in DTS Master would give you goose bumps

41SMV8FQ1PL.jpg

418xl3TIIHL.jpg

I will assume these are played on blue ray players, or dvd players, Is there video ?? and listened to thru HT ??

Yes. Blu ray players or a Universal player. Some of them are limited and can get very pricey. The Game is 70 bucks in DVDA. A Night at the Opera in Blu ray is $30 though. Fleetwood Mac Rumors in DVDA is $85. A good listen with any of these should impress even the stiffest of the high browed, two channel only stuck-ups :)

Some Blu Ray disks contain a video or two. I think my rush disk has two that are extras. DVDA is just audio I believe.

Here is a good source

http://www.musicdirect.com/c-805-blu-ray-pure-audio-disc.aspx

Edited by Max2

CDs are either Redbook or not and it isn't surprising the byte count is the same. By "MFSL" I presume you mean Mobile Fidelity? Their releases would supposedly be superior by the method of preping the files before encoding...but the CD is just a CD.

I don't know anything about those albums, so I don't know how good the masters are. While I recall Queen, I don't remember any of their stuff or whether it's all produced or some is performed.

MFs output is spotty over the years, some excellent, some not so much. My DSOTM transfer from LP to CD sounds better than their release, IMHO.

CDs are either Redbook or not and it isn't surprising the byte count is the same. By "MFSL" I presume you mean Mobile Fidelity? Their releases would supposedly be superior by the method of preping the files before encoding...but the CD is just a CD.

I don't know anything about those albums, so I don't know how good the masters are. While I recall Queen, I don't remember any of their stuff or whether it's all produced or some is performed.

MFs output is spotty over the years, some excellent, some not so much. My DSOTM transfer from LP to CD sounds better than their release, IMHO.

No Queen for you? :(

This i interesting to me also, because people charge, and often pay so much for the MFSL Gold disc (Mobile Fidelity)

Its losing its luster from all the lossless formats. Now the battle of SACD, Blu Ray and DVDA is the new and it looks like SACD is getting tag teamed

This i interesting to me also, because people charge, and often pay so much for the MFSL Gold disc (Mobile Fidelity)

Its losing its luster from all the lossless formats. Now the battle of SACD, Blu Ray and DVDA is the new and it looks like SACD is getting tag teamed

I dont follow any of the so called higher quality formats I am one of those 2 channel die hard types you spoke of, Dont get me wrong i will watch a movie in an HT setup, Just not going to listen to music there as a general rule. Certainly willing to Demo them, Just not willing to invest in the price for everything needed to do that. Hell 2 channel is expensive enough, (I get obsessed with my hobbies, and am never content, if i hear this or that is better)

I wont even convert to blu ray, I don't really want to count the hairs on an actors arm. :D That and we have around 1000 DVD's already

• Like 1

There is info out there on them, but I suspect it may just be marginally better than Redbook and is considered a re-master so to speak. Someone here will chime in and have the lowdown on it.

after comparing a couple tracks i would say you are correct in your analogy, I would certainly consider this a Re-master, Its obvious they played with the way it was mastered, MFSL sounded darker overall (as though they wanted to sound more analog) Frankly i could live with either version and dont feel as though im missing anything

I dont follow any of the so called higher quality formats I am one of those 2 channel die hard types you spoke of, Dont get me wrong i will watch a movie in an HT setup, Just not going to listen to music there as a general rule. Certainly willing to Demo them, Just not willing to invest in the price for everything needed to do that. Hell 2 channel is expensive enough, (I get obsessed with my hobbies, and am never content, if i hear this or that is better)

I wont even convert to blu ray, I don't really want to count the hairs on an actors arm. :D That and we have around 1000 DVD's already

Nah, you're definitely not one of the "bah humbug!" two channel types I was describing. :) Oh, and I didn't want to sound like the spokesperson for multi channel audio as I own exactly one DVDA and one Blu ray audio. I have to say though, IMO it is darn impressive. The higher dynamics and shear clarity is night and day....it sounds so good you just have to turn it up. If you're a Steely fan, Gaucho in DVDA takes the always great mixing of their Redbook albums up a few levels. Having said all that, I too am "on paper" a two channel guy. I have collected way too many CD's and Im a firm believer in CD's. I won't even buy a download....still buy the disk. I understand the cost on the new formats, they are expensive. Its not bad though, you just buy the albums that have been staples of your past or what you keep pulling out for the past decade or three and never goes away.

Edited by Max2