How to deal with a crappy manager

The Dude

Ok, I know everyone has, or has had crappy manager. So how do we deal with it, is there any good readings out there. Here is my situation, I am a supervisor (I know its hard to believe) but any way I have a "manager" above me who is horrible at his job. So bad to the point I can't take it any more. My wife is having the same problem, it just seems people don't really give a crap and just bs the hiring manager to get the job. This guy never really wanted this job but or the responsibilities so why he took it I don't know. All of his responsibilities have delegated to myself and 2 other service writers. All I can do is hope our regional service manager finally takes action, or gets pressure from up above to do so. I mean everybody at my location knows this guy sucks at his job, maybe it just takes time. But I can't take it any more, I have had 2-3 sit downs with my manager about the problems he has created, and he just gives the same response.

I feel we live in a society were we just let this go on, I may be out of a job as I was about to lay my hands on the guy today. I mean it took everything I had to walk away and not strangle the guy. I did talk to my regional manager about this, I didn't want to complain about the guys poor work ethic as I believe every one else has done enough of that, though I did tell him about the heated discussion we had.

Ugh, just needed to vent.

This is about the correct size comparison as well.

homer_choking_bart.jpg

• Like 1

Guest David H

I feel your pain, we have so many managers I wouldn't know where to start. If I had to guess, it would be the shop foreman.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

Guest David H
I have a buddy that started out as a tech and has worked his way up to service writer over the years

I am not sure that's a step up. Lateral at best.

Dave

Edited by GotHover
  • Like 1

"A" people hire "A" people. "B" people hire "C" people. I point the boney finger of blame at the person who hired him.

Problems like this tend to go all the way to the top of the company.

_If_ the CEO of your company is an "A" person, then you can make change. If he is not, you are likely stuck with what you got.

• Like 2

In my civilian job, I have, not one, but three, (owners).

Been on the job for the better part of 10+ years, things went well for the first 8 or so, then one of owners is getting Alzhimers,

and it appears for the last 13 months that nobody's telling this guy, and he is running the company into the ground.

Lost accounts, moral sucks throughout the plant that had 140 people, we now have 30.

It's at the point now where when I come in and check my emails in the morning, it comes from him and, it's hate related toward me!

WTF? an owner ?, thought it was just me, it appears im not the only one. I consulted with a few work mates, they get them too.

Ok, this has been going on for almost eight month's, the wife said bailout, she makes ok money, so I took vacation today @ 10am, will go back next week and retire.

never left a job before like this, feels kind of weird walking out, but oh well, zero stress leads to a longer life, besides the wife likes me hangin with you guys and gals, its where I get my upgrade ideas.

duder1982 I wish you the best, looking for another job in this day and time aint going to be pretty, we know that, the wife and I knew a year ago I might need to walk, it still dont feel right. but if there is ANYWAY you can do the same, do it, my stress level has already dropped 50% as of today.

Thanks for this post. Your story really inspired me to be thankful for the job I have (which is kind of hard for me sometimes). I have to move every 7 years (which really sucks) and put up with some crap every now and then, but at least I only see my management once every quarter :)

Edited by etc6849
  • Like 1

"A" people hire "A" people. "B" people hire "C" people. I point the boney finger of blame at the person who hired him.

Problems like this tend to go all the way to the top of the company.

_If_ the CEO of your company is an "A" person, then you can make change. If he is not, you are likely stuck with what you got.

Read "Winning" by Jack Welch (GE's former CEO). Very good book on the topic. He basically says the Type A's need to be put together to flourish and the others weeded out of the company. My take on it is that if you have GE's budget, you can afford to do so. A good read in any event for anyone with a job.

I have been labeled a "troublemaker" or squeeky wheel at some places, including a family business many years ago, and at other places I am told that I am a pain in the a$$, but very valuable because I will not stop until problems are solved (and I look for problems that need to be fixed). Type A's welcome this, others just want the status quo.

It sounds like at the end of the day, you need to be with other Type A's or you will be miserable. I was.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

Talk to this boss. Tell him what you need from him in term of direction, feedback and support. Be polite and focus on your needs. Telling the boss he’s a bad boss is counterproductive and won’t help you meet your goals.

Ask the manager how you can help him reach his goals. Make sure you listen well and provide the needed assistance.

Seek a mentor from among other managers or more skilled peers, with the full knowledge of your current manager, to enlarge your opportunity for experience.

If you’ve taken these actions, and they haven’t worked, go to your boss’s manager and ask for assistance. Or, you can go to your Human Resources staff first, to rehearse and gain advice. Understand that your current boss may never forgive you, so ensure you have done what you can do with him, before taking your issues up the line.

You may never hear what the boss’s boss or the HR staff did to help solve your bad manager’s behavior. It’s confidential. But, do allow some time to pass for the actions to have their desired impact.

If nothing changes, despite your best efforts, and you think the problem is that they don’t believe you, draw together coworkers who also experience the behavior. Visit the boss’s manager to help him see the size and impact of the behavior.

If you think the problem is that your boss can’t – or won’t – change, ask for a transfer to another department. This recommendation presumes you like your employer and your work.

and leave a copy of this where he can find it

Edited by USNRET

I feel your pain, I had to take 2 weeks off a few years ago due too a manager causing extreme stress, We did finally get him moved off to another shift, We pulled together as a crew and slowed down enough, The upper management noticed and made the change. As an aside the A$$ manager learned a valuable lesson as well

Thats the problem, being the foreman sucks.

I did it for 2 years, dont think I would do it again.

Dave

I don't mind it, I like my job, I would rather this guy just be out of the picture completely so the other service writers and my self can get things done right.

I have a buddy that started out as a tech and has worked his way up to service writer over the years

I am not sure that's a step up. Lateral at best.

Dave

If your a field tech and on call for a certain amount of money, then go to being a service writer with the same pay and not have to be on call anymore. Then it could be.

I feel your pain, I had to take 2 weeks off a few years ago due too a manager causing extreme stress, We did finally get him moved off to another shift, We pulled together as a crew and slowed down enough, The upper management noticed and made the change. As an aside the A$$ manager learned a valuable lesson as well

Novel approach, I like that.

Talk to this boss. Tell him what you need from him in term of direction, feedback and support. Be polite and focus on your needs. Telling the boss he’s a bad boss is counterproductive and won’t help you meet your goals.

Problem is he just agrees with everything to aim to please

Ask the manager how you can help him reach his goals. Make sure you listen well and provide the needed assistance.

Seek a mentor from among other managers or more skilled peers, with the full knowledge of your current manager, to enlarge your opportunity for experience.

I have kind of done that.

If you’ve taken these actions, and they haven’t worked, go to your boss’s manager and ask for assistance. Or, you can go to your Human Resources staff first, to rehearse and gain advice. Understand that your current boss may never forgive you, so ensure you have done what you can do with him, before taking your issues up the line.

I know there are members of upper management that sees what is going on, unfortunately the manager who hired him doesn't want to admit he made a mistake hiring him.

You may never hear what the boss’s boss or the HR staff did to help solve your bad manager’s behavior. It’s confidential. But, do allow some time to pass for the actions to have their desired impact.

If nothing changes, despite your best efforts, and you think the problem is that they don’t believe you, draw together coworkers who also experience the behavior. Visit the boss’s manager to help him see the size and impact of the behavior.

More or less everyone does, but again the hiring manager doesn't want to admit he made this mistake.

If you think the problem is that your boss can’t – or won’t – change, ask for a transfer to another department. This recommendation presumes you like your employer and your work.

This may happen, or if I decide to leave the company if nothing happens in the next 6 months. I will be sure to let HR know in my exit interview. We have had a lot of issues in the last couple of years keeping techs, for this reason.

and leave a copy of this where he can find it