Tube Amp, what to know before purchase?

franticsled

Kicking it around, but figured I neeed to ask because I know nothing about them. Been looking around and it seems yaqin and dared seem to be decent for the money. I dont know what models to look at. I want something versital that will drive the rf7, forte chorus or whatever I may have!! Also for use in 2ch or to try out with HT. I would love to go and have a listen, but noone sells them close to me. Mcintosh dealer and thats about it. I listen to a variety of music and at a lot of volume at times so needs to be powerful enough to make me feel it as well!! I have read that 30 watts from a tube amp is like 90 SS?

What do I look for and what to stay away from?

Kicking it around, but figured I neeed to ask because I know nothing about them. Been looking around and it seems yaqin and dared seem to be decent for the money. I dont know what models to look at. I want something versital that will drive the rf7, forte chorus or whatever I may have!! Also for use in 2ch or to try out with HT. I would love to go and have a listen, but noone sells them close to me. Mcintosh dealer and thats about it. I listen to a variety of music and at a lot of volume at times so needs to be powerful enough to make me feel it as well!! I have read that 30 watts from a tube amp is like 90 SS?

On Ebay I use a guy that calls his company "Primeamp" out of Kowloon HongKong, all my tube amps come from him, Direct copies of Mcintosh, fisher, and others, and he backs them up. to this date iv purchased 6 tube amps, and a set of Mono Blocks for the wife. could not be happier.

• Like 3

On Ebay I use a guy that calls his company "Primeamp" out of Kowloon HongKong, all my tube amps come from him, Direct copies of Mcintosh, fisher, and others, and he backs them up. to this date iv purchased 6 tube amps, and a set of Mono Blocks for the wife. could not be happier.

Which was your favorite amp of Primeamps? Have you ever had any of them bench evaluated? Nice looking stuff.

Oh brother, I don't think iv ever been ask that before, um, all of them, since I always seem to find some kind of killer speaker first and then figure the wattage they handle then kind of take it from there, does that make sense?

And no bench test as of yet, that would be interesting though.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 3

Which was your favorite amp of Primeamps? Have you ever had any of them bench evaluated? Nice looking stuff.

Oh brother, I don't think iv ever been ask that before, um, all of them, since I always seem to find some kind of killer speaker first and then figure the wattage they handle then kind of take it from there, does that make sense?

And no bench test as of yet, that would be interesting though.

How do you know it's a killer speaker if you don't have the amp to play it ?? Maybe you get to audition the Killer speakers where you buy them ?? Of course what is killer in 1 room does not always equal killer when you get it in your room ;)

As to the original question, I got my first taste of tube amps by visiting a forum members home upon invite (thanks gary), And marks advice is steller I would suggest you take it

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 1

Great info, but still dont know what to look for!! Budget? hmmm, I really dont know but would like to find used so if it dont work out I can resell and get most my money back. It would be worth $50 to just try one for awhile and get to know what you tube guys talk about. The little parasound HCA750 I have sounds very good and is plenty powerful. I think I like it better then the HCA 1500. I feel the need to at least try a tube amp and dont know what set means or how to dial them in, or what to expect! I dont want to buy without having done some homework!!

I use a Yaqin VK 2100 in my 2 channel system. This is a hybird tube integrated amp with 80 watts. I have driven the RF 7's with this amp and tested against a Yamaha M 80/ 250 watt SS amp. The both drove the 7's to ear bleeding levels without a problem. I like this amp because it is stronger than the lower watt tube amps and can be use with less sensitve speakers. SQ and build quality is excellent. They can be found on Ebay but, buy one from a Canadian dealer for warranty support.

• Like 1

Where are you located?

Dave

West of toledo Ohio

I use a Yaqin VK 2100 in my 2 channel system. This is a hybird tube integrated amp with 80 watts. I have driven the RF 7's with this amp and tested against a Yamaha M 80/ 250 watt SS amp. The both drove the 7's to ear bleeding levels without a problem. I like this amp because it is stronger than the lower watt tube amps and can be use with less sensitve speakers. SQ and build quality is excellent. They can be found on Ebay but, buy one from a Canadian dealer for warranty support.

I would just hate to spend the cash and end up not gaining much!! I love this hobby, but often wonder how my wife puts up with it!! Maybe I will start looking for used.

• Like 1

Guest David H
My guess would be 60W. That puts you into a "push pull" amp. Used will start around $1000, and rise quickly. Dynaco MkIII, Quicksilver 60, ARC and MFA. make 60W amps. McIntosh 275 is nice 75W amp but pricey.

This is a nice list. I have owned several sets of MkIII Dynaco's - Great amp.

Dave

I would just hate to spend the cash and end up not gaining much!! I love this hobby, but often wonder how my wife puts up with it!! Maybe I will start looking for used.

I don't use terms like night and day difference and such. Will it sound different, yes. Better is subjective. My Yaqin sound great with the Mc speaker and different than the RF 7's on the Pioneer/Acurus amps. Both sound great and favor certain types of music. The VK 2100 can be purchased for less than $425.00, so this one will not break the bank.

We do a lot of things in this hobby for small gains, like wire, cable, room treatments, DAC's just to name a few. If nothing else the tube gear looks really impressive and looks are part of the fun in enjoying your system, lol.

• Like 1

Another great tube amp to start with is a yaqin mc10L. For under $600 its very nice although no phono in/out. You can roll the tubes and upgrade the power cord for another $200 later if you like it. I have had scotts, dynacos, knights and heard mcintosh up to $100K tube amps in controlled demos and although the high dollar tube amplifiers may tickle your ears or make you smile just a bit more a starting point is what you are looking for. I say to you the yaqin 10L because its has tons of usable power and i know and have seen several people go from a dynaco 70's wanting more power to the yaqin 10L and are very happy. Another great beginner tube unit would be a choice of yours in the jolida line.

I started out with a knight and still have a couple. They are 12x12 and i have played them against 200x200 watt ss power amps in my setting and like a magnet i still pull towards the 12x12 tube. Its simply true hi fidelity that many people describe as magical. Vacuum tube amps are so fine at reproducing sound. Good luck with your venture and have fun.

Where are you located?

Dave

West of toledo Ohio

It looks like my best advice for the place your in would be to hook up with a forum member, not to sell you something but to keep from spending more than you need to. got to someone close to you to have a listen. trust me when I say iv paid the price more than one time buying $1800 amp when I ended up figuring a $600 would have worked just as well. pretty hard to do on a forum. Years ago we had a high end audio store in the area, I knew they would not last, they come and go fast in Ca. took the wife in sat her down in "The Chair" she listened, she liked, upon asking the Gent, so how much? oh around 13K for everything you need.

The sudden feeling of buying a car came to mind.

Edited by minermark

I have read that 30 watts from a tube amp is like 90 SS?

If you want LOUD, you should begin your search at 60W per channel with a push pull amp.

I'll amplify ( :D) Mark's advice by noting that most tube amps in that power range are basic amps (as opposed to integrated- i.e. with a built-in preamp section) and may require a preamp to deliver the power needed to drive the speakers to extremely high levels. A good tube type preamp can cost quite a bit, so definitely consider that in your budget, as well as the potential cost of having vintage equipment restored if you decide to go that route instead of buying something new.

Maynard

• Like 1

I have to admit mark deneen knows his stuff much beyond many of us. Mark is the one to follow instructions from here. If you do spend under a grand its likely a mid fi choice. If the op can hold on and save up the direction that Mark D sends you in will result very good. Im only several years into tube amps and expressed my tube journey up to now.

Started to make a new thread, but since tube amp acquisition is the topic here I think it appropriate.

Anybody ever heard of http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/?

Interesting that he is located at Mabank, TX...close enough to throw it through his front window if it sux. First thought was the price is absurdly low for a new build integrated with same power as an ST-70 with phono and such all built in. Very little on the web about them, though it's largely positive.

Dave

• Like 1

Started to make a new thread, but since tube amp acquisition is the topic here I think it appropriate.

Interesting that he is located at Mabank, TX...close enough to throw it through his front window if it sux. First thought was the price is absurdly low for a new build integrated with same power as an ST-70 with phono and such all built in. Very little on the web about them, though it's largely positive.

Dave

Very nice equip, depending on the shipping prices, id say we have an American Made amp to compete with the imports.

• Like 3

that frenzel guy looks like a clean builder. there was an st70 in columbus ohio a couple months ago i wanted to buy but he wouldnt budge off $500. the st70 i had i bought 15months ago from a local shop for $380 out the door in good working order. i sold to a freind for $400. i have a scott 299 that is very comparable now. its hard to chose 1 over the other but i prolly liked the st70 most just for simplicity but then again the tone controls are nice on the scott. I also liked with my st70 at the time i had 3 amps with el34 tubes and i had a bunch. I do like my 299 and its el84's but i think i like it cause they are more sought after and will sell well.

I gotta mention Mark. The yaqin10T is 45watts my 10L is said to be 52 watts. The guy that modded one of my 10L rated it at 60 watts per ch. The china amps are ok but i will be getting something along your lines one day. the juicy blueberry that was just sold the guy selling out for now bless him it was so frustrating not having the cash to buy at that time. It was the best priced preamp i think i will see for a while. I wanted to buy it so bad then it was gone for a quarter of its value or less.

Dave

They dont look to bad, but then again im not very up to date with any of these!! the yaqin line is what I am drawn toward