k-33-e vs k-33-b specs anybody have factory measured T/S data

The Dude

The one without the "E" has a large hole in the dust cover, so I decided to pull them out of the ad and see if anyone local wants them. If I have trouble selling it then I will have a friend replace the dust cover. It will most likely be easier this way as I don't have to deal with shipping, and the buyer can test them out at the time of purchase.

I really like this thread.

I've long suspected that there were at least two versions of the K-33 with differing T-S parameters.

Maybe there was an early version optimized for the K-Horn with low Fs and Q.

Maybe there was a later one which was optimized for Cornwall -- but which worked okay for the K-Horn.

If someone has a good relation with Hunter they could inquire.

WMcD

• Like 1

I really like this thread.

I've long suspected that there were at least two versions of the K-33 with differing T-S parameters.

Maybe there was an early version optimized for the K-Horn with low Fs and Q.

Maybe there was a later one which was optimized for Cornwall -- but which worked okay for the K-Horn.

If someone has a good relation with Hunter they could inquire.

WMcD

I would still like to know if there were any differences in the K-33-b vs the K-33-e.

I think I have probably posted this before, but not sure where it might be. Anyway, back in 2004, a forum member sent me the two K-33Es (square magnet) out of his Khorn pair. These were originals from the factory. I wanted to measure the T/S specs on them to see how they tested and to see how similar they were after 30 years (at that time). Also, we wanted to see how they compared to a new K-33E with the round magnet. John Warren assisted me with the test setup and I and my son Michael did the testing. Results are attached.

Bob Crites

TStestk33.pdf

• Like 1

differences in the K-33-b vs the K-33-e.

If you are building two speakers that have 2 woofers in each, you want all 4 to be the same. Don't mix them up, IMHO.

If specs were all the same I wouldn't see a problem, but since there doesn't seem to be and documentation showing this I won't take the risk.

I have a pair of Bobs cast frames, I will just pick up another pair of those.

I was fortunate enough to get an extra 15" woofer when I got my Cornwalls months ago, I had be contemplating using it in a base bin that i've been trying to locate one for a while now with no luck. It would be run using a behringer EP2000 off the back of my Usp-1

This thread was a bit of a bonus as well I couldn't really use the speaker calculator to accurately until this post now I have a much better idea. Originally I was going to attempt to build my own cab but weathers been to cold lately, so ive been after one of these closet one ive found is 6-8 hr drive away. I have also thought of making a center speaker using exact measurements from my Cornwalls for a one day, maybe? HT

post-54594-0-84160000-1393153508_thumb.j

post-54594-0-51960000-1393153524_thumb.j

post-54594-0-70160000-1393153537_thumb.j

• Like 3

I was fortunate enough to get an extra 15" woofer when I got my Cornwalls months ago, I had be contemplating using it in a base bin that i've been trying to locate one for a while now with no luck. It would be run using a behringer EP2000 off the back of my Usp-1

This thread was a bit of a bonus as well I couldn't really use the speaker calculator to accurately until this post now I have a much better idea. Originally I was going to attempt to build my own cab but weathers been to cold lately, so ive been after one of these closet one ive found is 6-8 hr drive away. I have also thought of making a center speaker using exact measurements from my Cornwalls for a one day, maybe? HT

The Cabs got a Lansing look about them. IMHO

The following information is from www.klipschcorner.com
The information on that site came from Jim Hunter and the historical archives which he maintains.
In January 1968, the K-33-P (CTS Paducah KY) was adopted.
In 1975, Klipsch transitioned to the K-33-B (CTS Brownsville TX)
From 1975-1979, the K-33-E (Eminence), and the K-33-B (Brownsville) were used interchangeably.
This corresponds to what Chris (Mach 1) said.
Here's a good way to compare.
CW1526c (Crites Woofer, Cast)
K-33-E/B (Klipsch Square Magnet)
K-33-E (Klipsch Round Magnet)
Fs = 26.3Hz
Fs = 27.0Hz
Fs = 34.46Hz
Re = 3.36 ohms
Re = 3.5 ohms
Re = 3.39 ohms
Vas = 506.3 Liters
Vas = 343 liters
Vas = 301.7 liters
BL = 12.49
BL = 9.8 T*m
BL = 11.93 Tm
Qms = 9.93
Qms = 8.5
Qms = 7.39
Qes = 0.27
Qes = 0.68
Qes = 0.41
Qts= 0.26
Qts = 0.633
Qts = 0.388
Mms = 75.5 g
Mms = 106 g
Mms = 79.47 g
Xmax = 7.15 mm
Xmax = 6.67 mm
Xmax = 8.2 mm
Cms = 0.486 mm/N
Cms = 0.305 mm/N
Cms = 0.268 mm/N
?
Sd = 890 cm² (13.5" diameter)
Sd = 889.6 sq.cm
I was told Klipsch stayed with the K-33-E with the higher Fs because they made a change in the back chamber to accommodate it. By the time Eminence got the round magnet version work right with the original, lower Fs -- Klipsch no longer needed it since they had dealt with the problem on their end and weren't interested in reverting back.
My suggestion is to use what your Klipschorns came with. Since I've admitted plenty that I don't really have a good grasp of box systems, I probably shouldn't say more -- but some of the differences in these numbers bother me -- especially the Vas.

Dean that's great info, and exactly what I was looking for. From what you have for info the K-33-E,and Bs have the same specs just made in different plants. I guess that is why they were interchangeable.

I was just doing a quick search but couldn't find this Klipsch corner you speak of. I know I have came across it in the past but can't find it now.

• 2 months later...

I just tested the two different woofers (both K-33) from the Cornwalls I am redoing and got different values. Number 1 (round magnet) has fs 37, qt .58, vas, 6.8cf, 93 db. Number 2 (square magnet) has fs 28, qt .31, vas 13.3cf, 96db (which is similar to my own K-33 woofers). Number two has the smaller dust cap with vent and mesh and must be a replacement probably from a different manufacturer. I don't know that woofer was original or replaced since I don't own them.

post-21976-0-45940000-1399406870_thumb.j