Surround Help Please

truetreasure

Same old question but different newbie ;) . I am starting an HT project and would like some advice and as always any comments you may have.

What would you recommend to more or less future proof my rear surrounds? I have a RC-7 and looking at RB-61's, RB-81's and RB-75's.

After my research I would prefer the 75's but they are kind of a white elephant. I only plan to use them for movies not music and I plan to purchase RF-7's in the future.

Second thing for comments, How bad did I mess up? I needed an AVR to start with and ended up buying a new Yamy RV-A1020, then I started reading this forum to discover it probably isn't the preferred equipment. I bought Brand new in the box from an authorized dealer for $699 to my front door. I just couldn't resist. Thanks in advance for your input.

• Moderators

I agree with holt, if you are mainly using it for movies, RS series is the way to go. Going from RB-35 to RS-52 was a big upgrade in my system.

What are you finding is wrong with your Tammy? I had an RX-V1800 and it was awesome for HT

Thanks guys. That's why I wanted feedback. The Yammy is still in the box. Purely based on what I've read that Yamaha was too bright for the Klipsch. I used own a Yamaha separate back in the day and it was a really clean amp but I didn't own Klipsch then either I had Bose 901's. Then the whole bipole dipole thing and many people said the RS series would create lag and disproportionate sound. I originally thought RS might be the way to go. Also a lot of the signatures from some senior members here, they would have the direct speakers. The jury is still out. Please tell me more. :) Me likes it!!

• Moderators
what I've read that Yamaha was too bright for the Klipsch

I don't feel that at all.

Then the whole bipole dipole thing and many people said the RS series would create lag and disproportionate sound.

Sounds like these folks just don't care for the Klipsch sound. You either like them or you don't. I love the RS speakers for HT. They provide a very enveloping and non-localized and natural sound

Also a lot of the signatures from some senior members here, they would have the direct speakers.

I'm pretty new around here to take my comments with a grain of salt. :P

I have found that guys that use their multi-channel system mostly for music, do tend to use direct radiating for surrounds since they are not looking to disperse sound, but provide a very directional type sound. For movies, you want the sound to "surround" you and that's not what a direct radiating speaker is designed to do.

Also, if you are going with a 5.1 setup, both THX and Dolby recommend placing your surrounds on the sides, slightly behind and above your listening position as opposed to placing them behind your listening position.

900x900px-LL-33695061_Klipsch-RS-62-Moun

• Like 2

If you are into 5 channel stereo or something like that, bookshelves would be fine. I think for actual surround content in movies and the like, RS wide dispersion works great. I have used both in my HT setup, and I prefer the RS. If you have a single bookshelf right there pointed at your listening position, I think you gain a bit of clarity from surround content but it is very localized and you always know exactly where the sound is coming from. RS by design really open up the surround content by not aiming it right at your head but bouncing it off the walls around and behind you. It makes for a more enveloping experience. You could try both though and see what you prefer, it is not like bookshelves will sound bad or anything. I wouldn't say it is a major upgrade going with RS, just a tad more open and subtle.

• Like 3

Thank you to all. I am relieved and can now focus on the RS's. What a huge help you all have been :) Glad this forum exists with helpful and nice people. I'll be sure and post up once the equipment is installed and operating. Do you guys have a preference of RS-52's versus RS-62's or some other older RS?

Here is what I've purchased to date Pany VT60, Yammy RV-A1020, Klipsch RC-7, 1-Boston Acoustics PV800 sub and painted the HT room a dark green. Still to come in this phase are room treatments and surrounds. Phase two will be the RF-7's while in the mean time my old Cerwin Vegas stand guard at right and left channel.

Hook up your Yamaha and see for yourself if you like how your system sounds with it. My system sounded great with an RX-V750 driving all the speakers, and still sounds fine with it driving just the surround speakers, while a pair of Yamaha MX-D1 amps drive the left and right front speakers.

Your room and your ears are what matter.

• Like 1