Cheap replacements for K55V ?

dtel

• Moderators

Looking for a cheap replacement for a K55V for an old Heresy project. It's for an outside space for just background music no serious listening. Considering where it's going as long as it covered the same frequency range it should be fine, or I will just wait and get another K55V ?

It's the only part I'm missing for this old (X in serial number) rough pair. I was going to use some of the in-wall and in-ceiling I have but thought the Heresy's would sound better.

Looking for a cheap replacement for a K55V for an old Heresy project. It's for an outside space for just background music no serious listening. Considering where it's going as long as it covered the same frequency range it should be fine, or I will just wait and get another K55V ?

It's the only part I'm missing for this old (X in serial number) rough pair. I was going to use some of the in-wall and in-ceiling I have but thought the Heresy's would sound better.

Have you looked into parts express? sometimes I call them during their weekday, and ask to speak with the Head speaker person.

Edited by minermark

• Moderators

I did look there, I didn't know which would be the closest, I need to look up what the frequency range the old C crossover covers for the midrange...........That would have been a smarter question to ask.

• Like 1

I am happy with the Selenium D 250-X. But seeing you have type C crossover, it would not drop in. I am using it with type E crossover wiring.

You could consider reconfiguration of Type C to E it may work for you.

http://www.parts-express.com/selenium-d250-x-gw-1-phenolic-horn-driver-1-3-8-18-tpi--264-204

Edited by mach-1
  • Like 1

I am happy with the Selenium D 250-X. Using it first on EV 8HD horns and now on EV SM 120A horns.

It is lots cheaper than used K55's. It is an 8 ohms driver just change autotransformer T2A to tap 2, or stay on tap 3 and change input cap to 4 uF.

IMO it's not as loud SPL/W) as the K55 but great for DIY projects. Also may not extend as well to stock tweeter crossover point as K55.

http://www.parts-express.com/selenium-d250-x-gw-1-phenolic-horn-driver-1-3-8-18-tpi--264-204 good luck with your project.

attachicon.gif014.JPG

These are good, I just bought these last year for a build, about a Cnote each as I remember, $38 bucks is a steal.

Edited by minermark

• Moderators

Thanks everyone. that is a good deal from parts express, now to figure out what I'm going to do. I just know they would sound better than the in walls I have that could be used for this.

The Heresy's are really rough so I was just going to paint them with some exterior black house paint and be done. Where there are going is outside and they will be hidden, but it will not get wet where they are going it's under a roof, about as damp as it would get would be from fog which the paint should help with.

• Moderators

Spray the cone with hairspray to protect it.

I have a single new PD4VH I would let go cheap (for less than a pair of the Selenium).

I will try the hairspray, it has the old heavy grill cloth, it would not hurt to spray that also. Thanks

That would be closer to the k55v than the others I would think, let me know what you want.