Fun at the finisher

justinsweber

I love building stuff... Engines... reloading my computer, amps, etc. I love speakers... I own 4 pair personally, but man build those SOB kills the knees and back. Ive spent the better part of the day coming back from the finisher to get 3 pair of speakers... and completed 1 pair of my own.

The three pair which came home are:

1 a rehash of my very 1st cornscala. I cut the moterboard 5 years ago and held onto it. Combine a Cornwalls detentions, HF200 and the new eliptrac tweeter :-)... good stuff brewing.

2 my personal pair of 42" backloaded cabs for fostex or any 6" full range... WE built the 1st pair for a customer... but cut the wood for a pair for ourselves... no ideas what to do with it... but now its super pretty... 1st time Ive had a full range go deep and sound authentic.

3 Dave's design study/ collaboration on the Eminence 12CX... WOW is that a speaker and half... so smooth and just sound right. When Dave brought it over, it was raw MDF... I didn't even bother listening to it... I tore it down, primered and sent off to the finisher... Now she is back and she can really shake them down. Black lacquer with Sateen finish.

• Like 2

Thanks guys... really kind. The Coaxial speaker came from a project Dave started and decided the CX12 was the right choice for... I had done some reading about eminence trying to get these speakers into home theaters... I can see why... super imaging. I was poo pooling Dave for adding a Lpad... and was going to orig use a D220... my god that would have been a bad idea. Even with eminence ASD1001she sound hot... The Lpad brings the sound back to where I like it... Dave will tell you I like my tweeter well padded.

I plan to keep the coaxials. but the cornscalas and the full range cabs will be built and placed in cold storage... sometimes the fait of things.

As a brief aside... The forums are responsible for almost all I know about audio. The Klipsch forum was where I cam to appreciate, love, list and finally own some heritage products. Dave, Dean, ALK are just some who have helped along the way. Ive learned to cut some wood, understand specs and even voice a speaker its due to their help.

Edited by justinsweber
  • Like 1

I love building stuff... Engines... reloading my computer, amps, etc. I love speakers... I own 4 pair personally, but man build those SOB kills the knees and back. Ive spent the better part of the day coming back from the finisher to get 3 pair of speakers... and completed 1 pair of my own.

The three pair which came home are:

1 a rehash of my very 1st cornscala. I cut the moterboard 5 years ago and held onto it. Combine a Cornwalls detentions, HF200 and the new eliptrac tweeter :-)... good stuff brewing.

2 my personal pair of 42" backloaded cabs for fostex or any 6" full range... WE built the 1st pair for a customer... but cut the wood for a pair for ourselves... no ideas what to do with it... but now its super pretty... 1st time Ive had a full range go deep and sound authentic.

3 Dave's design study/ collaboration on the Eminence 12CX... WOW is that a speaker and half... so smooth and just sound right. When Dave brought it over, it was raw MDF... I didn't even bother listening to it... I tore it down, primered and sent off to the finisher... Now she is back and she can really shake them down. Black lacquer with Sateen finish.

Your knees and back will thank you with a quick visit to Lowe's/Home Depot, they have folding tables for around $60 bucks, I bought four.

I can either in the wife's garage or mine set up a shop in 20min, and break down clean in 30min.

You only buy them once, the wife likes them too, potting and the like, I beat the HeII out of mine. look in my Gallery.

Perfect height for a rolling office chair also.

Those Fostex cabs look great! I have been contemplating building a pair of full range speakers, and the Fostex drivers were at the top of my list. That isn't the boilerplate cabinet you build from Fostex. It is front motorboard and front horn. Are the plans for this available, and how do they sound?

Here are the plans I have:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/FE166En.pdf

Edited by mustang guy

IMG 1403

The backloaded cabs were a design from Woden Design http://www.wodendesign.com/fostex.html. The customer brought me the design. When we cut the Baltic for his, we ripped a pair for ourselves. Ive tried with drivers from Fostex... sp ed. 6", AN and the parts express 6.5" point source. I liked the fostex basic.

Re: stiff and sore... WOW! I hurt now.

I was itching to complete the Coxials so they were built before dinner. The cornscalas got started around 11pm for an hour and then I started redoing my 2nd rack... My old stand by amp vs my new personal build plus room for my budget dac and enough room for any of pre amps I have. . (I bought new all thread from ACE for my Salamander rack and cut them down to make as small as possible. Nothing like awake till 4 plugging away on projects.

Edited by justinsweber

Faital HF200 with fastlane audio epitrac 400.

Selenuim D220ti with fastlane audio epitrac HF.

and because Im crazy, http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc380-8-15-classic-woofer--295-325.

Im pairing with a ALK Cornscalawal. As its 1st order, I should be able to compensate for the 8ohm.

Im hoping to prove Dave's calc that they should drop in.

The backloaded cabs were a design from Woden Design http://www.wodendesign.com/fostex.html. The customer brought me the design. When we cut the Baltic for his, we ripped a pair for ourselves. Ive tried with drivers from Fostex... sp ed. 6", AN and the parts express 6.5" point source. I liked the fostex basic.

Re: stiff and sore... WOW! I hurt now.

I was itching to complete the Coxials so they were built before dinner. The cornscalas got started around 11pm for an hour and then I started redoing my 2nd rack... My old stand by amp vs my new personal build plus room for my budget dac and enough room for any of pre amps I have. . (I bought new all thread from ACE for my Salamander rack and cut them down to make as small as possible. Nothing like awake till 4 plugging away on projects.

I really like the Vulcan from Woden. Dual rear horn standing at over 6' tall, and sporting a frequency response of 50Hz - 20kHz. The price of £35 equates to approximately $53 for the plans. I emailed Scott Woden and requested a response curve. Since the FE206EN has an fs of 53hz, I would need to see it on paper. I'm not sure if it is a +/-10db response or a 3+/-db. My guess is 10db. What do you think?

This would be a worthwhile build, and I do have a few sheets of 1/2" BB I've been wondering what to do with.

Edited by mustang guy