CD Transport Recommendations

J M O N

It looks like I may have finally worn out my Theta Data Basic CD transport. So now I need to either get a new transport or possibly even a complete CD player. My Theta DS PRO II DAC is still working fine, so if I got just a transport I can still use my DAC. This is disappointing as I was very happy with the sound I was getting from this combination. I'm looking to see if anyone has some good recommendations.

Used is what I look for first but would also consider new if there are good values out there. I'd like to keep the price in the $500 and under range but would consider the $1000-ish range if there is something really, really nice that should last a good ten years or so. Some of the items I've seen that may be of interest are Sonic Frontiers SFT-1, Acurus ACD-11, PS Audio Lambda, Audio Research CD2, and some NAD players.

Anyone have some good recommendations to consider?

Thanks

Okay here it goes.

Full CD player/DAC, no doubt a Cambridge Audio 840C but they routinely are found used from $600.00 to $900.00 but occasionally a little over $500.00. I just sold one here on the forum to be used as a transport only.

I have heard that the Acurus ACD-11 is incredible as a player and a transport.

I have also heard great things about the Adcom GCD-750 as a transport.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sacd-players-adcom-gcd-750-cd-player-2014-02-16-digital-45238-western-hills-oh

The Integra DPS-10.5 is one incredible CD player, SACD player, DVD player, and even better as a digital transport. Smoothest operating tray/disc loading mechanism I have ever come across. I have owned three of these players and currently own one. I have also bought one of these from the following seller on Ebay and it was in fantastic condition and all aspects of the transaction was very professional and as promised.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Integra-DPS-10-5-SACD-DVD-Player-Remote-User-Manual-VG-Condition-FREE-SHIPPING-/321329640353?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item4ad0bd33a1

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Full CD player/DAC, no doubt a Cambridge Audio 840C but they routinely are found used from $600.00 to $900.00 but occasionally a little over $500.00. I just sold one here on the forum to be used as a transport only.

I have heard that the Acurus ACD-11 is incredible as a player and a transport.

I saw your 840C for sale several weeks ago and would've bought it but you had just sold it. The Acurus that I found has also sold. Thanks for the tips!

There was a sonic frontiers posted on audiogon this morning 809.00

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/transports-sonic-frontiers-sft-1-transport-2014-02-23-digital-33437

I did see that one. Still trying to decide how much I want to spend and what I'd like to get. It's a little easier to be buy something less expensive and be undecided though. Do you have any experience with that transport?

There was a sonic frontiers posted on audiogon this morning 809.00

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/transports-sonic-frontiers-sft-1-transport-2014-02-23-digital-33437

I did see that one. Still trying to decide how much I want to spend and what I'd like to get. It's a little easier to be buy something less expensive and be undecided though. Do you have any experience with that transport?

No direct experience with sonic frontiers transports, I have owned there amps / pre-amps and build was always excellent