The little speaker that COULD

joessportster

I recently acquired Justins design prototype For his Full Ranger speaker at ampsandsound.com, Mine differs from the version he is now selling on his website in that mine is a little bigger and ported, His finished design is transmission line cabinet, which in theory should make it even better than mine.

I also want to restate Justin is one of the finest people I have met, If you order from Justin you can expect outstanding service and impeccable shipping / packing took me an hour to unpack the speakers and the amp, and I now have a huge roll of bubble wrap to reuse ( BONUS :D )

The speakers: HOLY COW this is only a 4" driver, your ears will be deceived I can promise you that. Bass from this little guy is crazy good, Obviously its not shaking the floors but it is tight, deep, and balanced with good detail. Listening to SMV Thunder I was surprised at how well this 4" driver handled it (A complicated bass album by three of the greatest bass players on the planet) It was easy to hear the different instruments, The speakers are so large sounding they tempt you to turn up the volume

( I did, and was reminded I'm listening to a small driver That's not a bad thing it's physics)

Mid range is detailed as well, with nice tone never harsh vocals are fleshed out very nicely. My hearing on open air speakers is not the greatest but i was able to hear some nice detail. I can not find anything bad to say about it and that's good

The highs have great extension, and shimmer, again never harsh, alot of single drivers fall short on the high end this driver did not leave me feeling that way,

Overall this is an awesome Bookshelf speaker that easily out performed other small driver speakers I have heard owned, (one example the horn shop horn, a 4" speaker I found unappealing and sold quickly) I feel these are as good a Speaker as you will find for the money.

My wife who has never offered up an opinion on anything I have ever bought in audio, chimed in last night "They are nice, I like them" (perhaps the Highest Praise of all) She also already has a plan for the speakers. She wants to use them as a 2.1 setup in the living room (We are not fans of HT 5.1,7.1 etc...) but till now sound mattered to ME, I guess it's rubbing off on her :emotion-21:

Thank you ampsandsound, & Justin for a great little speaker Its a keeper :smile:

http://ampsandsound.com/products/speakers/full-ranger/

Edited by joessportster

Dayton Audio TW-0.25BK 0.25 cu. ft. 2-Way Speaker Cabinet Pair Gloss Black

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-tw-025bk-025-cu-ft-2-way-speaker-cabinet-pair-gloss-black--302-700

paired with

pair (2pcs) HiEND 4inch full range fullrange speaker defy lowther & fostex

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pair-2pcs-HiEND-4inch-full-range-fullrange-speaker-defy-lowther-fostex-/321328587947?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Speaker_Parts&hash=item4ad0ad24ab

Drill a 1" hole in the front for a port and wim bam boom ! The TL version is smaller... but the same great sound!

Very nice speakers Joe... Justin. I think they fit your needs perfectly and now that you aren't limited to headphones, you can actually share your music with the wife and kids again... YAY!

I have a question for both you and Justin (or anyone else but I don't want to hijack Joe's thread) - my brother-in-law is building a streaming device and using an old RCA radio I gave him. He needs a pair of 4" speakers to fit in the cabinet and wants the best sound and frequency range for the buck. If I had to guess, I'd say he's looking to spend less than $50 total. I suggested going to a local thrift and just buying a decent jam box and salvaging the speaks but I know you guys have had plenty of experience with smaller drivers and might be able to point us in the right direction. Any thoughts? I guess this is a thread jack - sorry. Congrats on the new speaks, they look great!

Very nice speakers Joe... Justin. I think they fit your needs perfectly and now that you aren't limited to headphones, you can actually share your music with the wife and kids again... YAY!

I have a question for both you and Justin (or anyone else but I don't want to hijack Joe's thread) - my brother-in-law is building a streaming device and using an old RCA radio I gave him. He needs a pair of 4" speakers to fit in the cabinet and wants the best sound and frequency range for the buck. If I had to guess, I'd say he's looking to spend less than $50 total. I suggested going to a local thrift and just buying a decent jam box and salvaging the speaks but I know you guys have had plenty of experience with smaller drivers and might be able to point us in the right direction. Any thoughts? I guess this is a thread jack - sorry. Congrats on the new speaks, they look great!

Hey Buddy, How are you doing ??

I looked around and have to say not a lot of choices for 4 inch drivers, so i would agree with Justin on his suggestions. If he wasn't putting them in an existing cabinet i would let him try these for his experiment ( I was able to listen to them for a good bit, but for now I'm pretty much storing them till we are settled )

The amp on the other hand is up and running my headphones

On a side note I think i am going to be in your neck of the woods soon and want to see if can get together, I will call when i find out details of my appointment

Doin' fine Joe and keeping very busy. Thanks to you and Justin for the help - I think my broinlaw will enjoy either of your recommendations Justin though I prefer the full-ranger's specs and feel they'll sound best in his application so I'll nudge him in that direction.

Of course, you're always welcome Joe...just give me some head's up and I'll fire up the system so we can listen and chat up some music - just like the good ol' days... sniff