matching speakers question

TTU03

I have a SW 350 sub and looking to add two book shelf speakers for the mains and a center speaker. After store viewing and listening I have found the entry level reference speakers the right fit expense and size. The biggest issue I have the size of the center speaker. The center speaker for the rb 52 book shelf speakers is to big, flat out no way I can get this speaker. The center that matches the rb 42 book shelf speakers would fit. How bad would it be if I used the 42 level center with the 52 lvl book shelf speakers? I'm I better off just going with the smaller 42 book shelf speakers and 42 center speaker? I can fit the larger book shelf but cannot swing the size their matching center. The point is that I often hear people say matching sets is very important.

Welcome to the forum TTU03, the RC 52 is a slightly better center and match for what you are planning on getting. You could also try the RC 42 and, if you don't like it, sell it. A lot of forum members started with smaller speakers and eventually wanted more. Will this be for HT or music? Either way you will need a sub to augment the smaller speakers. What size room will they go in? Do you have an avr? All of these question are so our forum members can help you with some great suggestions.

Edited by derrickdj1

Avr is a Yamaha 675

Sub is a klipsch sw 350 8 inch sub

System is 50/50 music and movies

I would love the larger center speaker but cannot swing the size. But I could swing the larger book shelf speakers. Would the smaller center still match ok with the larger bookshelf speakers? I'm afraid the a smaller center would be outplayed by the larger book shelfs.

Avr is a Yamaha 675

Sub is a klipsch sw 350 8 inch sub

System is 50/50 music and movies

I would love the larger center speaker but cannot swing the size. But I could swing the larger book shelf speakers. Would the smaller center still match ok with the larger bookshelf speakers? I'm afraid the a smaller center would be outplayed by the larger book shelfs.

For music, I'd get the best L and R's possible.

For HT, the center channel has more info than any other channel. Get the best one you can fit in your space. You can always get the L and R speakers to level match during calibration. Your center will be your weakest link up front for HT though.

Larger mains and phantom center?

Works great. The only problem you run into is if several people are watching a movie and a few of them are way off center, the effect is lost (for them). As long as you're somewhere close to the middle of the seating position it really works well.

Can you accommodate towers? And how big is your room and also what are your listening levels. I owned the rf-42ii theater and it was fantastic. The 42 is a good little center. I however didn't think too inch of the 41's for bookshelves. Also don't think much of RB-51's either for mains.

Also if budget is of concern call mike at acoustic sound design. If you were gonna pay retail for 42 center and 51 bookshelves I can assure you can get either the 61's bookshelves and 42 center or maybe the rf-42ii and rc-42 to match that for the same price as most stores sell at.

Its a new construction house. I don't have pictures, though I might be able to swing by there this weekend and snap a few. The house is a 2200 squ foot four bed room house. The living room where this is going is fairly large and opens up into the kitchen which is directly behind the living room. Also, the living room and kitchen have very tall ceilings.

My budget is $700 out the door for the two bookshelf and center speakers. I would like to support local the local av shop here. The price they quoted me:

RB 52 pair $349

RC 52 center $299

RB 42 pair $279

RC 42 center $199

The wife factor is huge here. She is fine with the built in tv speakers. Floor speakers are out the question. The best I can get away with is two decent looking and smallish bookshelf speakers setting on each side of the tv on the tv console. The center speaker I can fit onto one of the tv console shelves much like a dvd player would and the sub will sit on the floor beside the tv console.

I know I will never fill the room with sound the way I want with all my constraints. However, I like to play 50's/60's/70's music so the kids can grow up with quality tunes and want to enjoy a movie every now and then. Very casual but also want to get the best bang of the buck so to speak.

Edited by TTU03

Well if you can't go bigger than the rc-42 that is an easy choice. Rc-42ii it is

As for the bookshelves could you accommodate the RB-61's? They have a much larger horn which gives a much much bigger sound than the RB-51's. I've owned them all. They also are front ported so can be snug to the wall if needed. The RB-51's need to be out from the wall a bit since they are rear ported. If you could swing the 61's them and the 42 center would be within your budget and I can promise you'd be much happier than with the 51 bookshelves.

The shop had the whole reference lineup. When I was there I did not look at the 61s because of their size. They did have some really small speakers I want to say something like a g series? I don't remember their pricing nor did I listen to those.

The idea for me would be those tiny cube looking speakers that I have seen from time to time, but I doubt they could put out the sound these bookshelfs can.