fuses in k-horns

well, i just blew my first fuse in my k-horns on the bass section. wasnt really driving them that hard, same as i have done numerous times in the past. the bass fuse is marked as a 250v 2.5 amp & i assume its a fast blow type.

question is, would it be ok to increase the value slightly? i have a bunch of 3amp fast blow fuses i could use if a .5 amp increase was still safe. if not, i will get the 2.5amp.

i do push them on the louder side so just want to be sure i wont damage the woofer with a .5a increase.

thanks

It's seems odd that the 2.5 amp fuse would blow, but that the smaller fuse protecting the high pass wouldn't.

Since this is the first time it's ever happened, maybe the fuse itself had an issue. I'd just replace it with the same type and see what happens.

So, how many Klipsch networks have fuses in the low pass section?

So, how many Klipsch networks have fuses in the low pass section?

My AL-3 Industrial LaScalas have them, but I can't remember if its has dual or a single fuse. Ill have to check.

My AK-2 K-horns did have them, until you sent a box to my house :)

well, i just blew my first fuse in my k-horns on the bass section. wasnt really driving them that hard, same as i have done numerous times in the past. the bass fuse is marked as a 250v 2.5 amp & i assume its a fast blow type.

question is, would it be ok to increase the value slightly? i have a bunch of 3amp fast blow fuses i could use if a .5 amp increase was still safe. if not, i will get the 2.5amp.

i do push them on the louder side so just want to be sure i wont damage the woofer with a .5a increase.

thanks

Yes fast blow is correct and I have blown these a couple of times over the 16 years I had Khorns while listening at some serious spl and never lost a woofer.

If you feel lucky you can try the 3amp but as you said it could cost you a woofer! I believe klipsch chose wisely with the 2.5amp based on my experiences.

miketn

So then, we have a problem. I mean, woofers blow, and fuses are a lot less money than woofers.

Al used to put a fuse in the Universal, and I talked him into leaving it out while we were working out the details of the new design. I'm helping someone right now in putting a Universal kit together as a favor (one time thing) - I told him he didn't need the fuses. Earlier tonight I found this:

"Should I fuse my speakers? JBL does not recommend fusing loudspeakers. A fuse may blow with a signal that would not damage the speaker, but it can also pass a signal that can damage the speaker. To protect your system, JBL advises using adequate, clean amplifier power and watch for amplifier clipping..."

There is more, clearly in the context of PA systems (limiters and proprietary protection circuitry).

It would appear that the only purpose for fusing would be to protect the loudspeakers from irresponsible use and/or defective equipment. Well, there's the occasional lightening strike.

Most of the early high pass systems are protected (zener diodes & poly switches), but Reference isn't, and neither are the latest incarnations of Heritage.

This is interesting.

It would seem that even Klipsch has decided that the issue isn't cut and dried.

Edited by DeanG

so should i go with the 2.5a or bump it up a notch to 3a? i do listen loud but never what i feel is damaging to the speaker, & i know when its too loud or causing distortion. im currently using an adcom 555ii amp & adcom preamp. never have i seen the clipping lights even begin to flicker, & with the k horn speakers i can barely get the volume knob to 50% & they are plenty loud for my small room. must have been a peak i didnt realize i was pushing it that hard. it was about the same volume levels i did on a onkyo 504 with meters, showed maybe 50 watt extreme peaks, average of 25-30 watts.

i like the jbl idea that fuses can blow on a signal that wouldnt damage the woofer. like i said it was a song i have played many times before at about the same volume, maybe a tad higher but still nowhere near clipping. i will get some 2.5a to be safe but would like to step it up .5 on the woofers if thats ok. guess i take a chance with a woofer & find out. be an excuse to upgrade! ;)

Edited by klipschfancf4

A McIntosh MC2205 will drive a Klipschorn on the 8Ω taps to the point where it will red-light and engage the limiter without blowing a 1A fast-blow fuse.

strange. this was a 2.5a fast blow on the woofer. i do boost the bass with the preamp a bit, maybe +3-5db. from what i can tell they are the original fuses, so who knows, maybe that fuse was defective or just on the verge of blowing from the prev owner. i will stick with 2.5a to be safe.

Sorry, but I've always wondered...

If my math is correct, Ohm's law dictates that a 2.5 amp fuse, combined with 6 ohm driver, would blow at only 37.5 watts.

Am I off???

Also, I assume at certain frequencies, the impedance would drop below 6 ohms. Any sustained signal at that frequency would blow the fuse with even less power.

What am I missing?

Mike

A McIntosh MC2205 will drive a Klipschorn on the 8Ω taps to the point where it will red-light and engage the limiter without blowing a 1A fast-blow fuse.

djk,

so the fuse is there to protect the crossover/ speaker from catastrophic amplifier failure? Like DC to the speaker?

Sorry, but I've always wondered...

If my math is correct, Ohm's law dictates that a 2.5 amp fuse, combined with 6 ohm driver, would blow at only 37.5 watts.

Am I off???

Also, I assume at certain frequencies, the impedance would drop below 6 ohms. Any sustained signal at that frequency would blow the fuse with even less power.

What am I missing?

Mike

That is correct. But a "fast" blow fuse does not mean "immediate" blow. How long it takes to blow depends on the magnitude and duration of the over current.

OP if you can, after you replace the fuse play the same music at the volume setting. Does it blow again? I'm just curious.

i plan to do exactly that. on a side note, i do recall the cd player skipped when a strong bass beat hit & thats when the fuse blew. wonder if that contributed to the fuse blowing??

will get some 2.5 fuses in a day or 2... its 2* for a high temp today with -20 wind chills, & -15 actual temps at night. my jeep is nice & warm in the garage & so am i in my house. not going anywhere for a couple days! hate this winter crap, its almost march & its like antartica! supposed to be almost 40* by this time in iowa! :angry:

The number of degree days in central Iowa was over 1500 in January in 09, 10, 11, and 14, but 14 is not really any higher than the others. 12, and 13 were really low (both mild winters).

March 13 had 1058 degree days vs 415 in 12. The 12 year average for March has been 843.

That global warming has been hard lately?

Central Iowa and costal Alaska have similar degree days.