CORN

oldtimer

Let's face it. We all have craws. And one thing that has been stuck in mine for some time is the bizarreness of serving and eating corn on the cob for some people. The thing is, being raised by Texans, I never was exposed as a child to all the paraphernalia that seems to follow the seemingly straightforward task of eating corn on the cob. I mean, there seems to be an entire industry devoted to it. There are those usually corn cob shaped sticker things that people think they have to insert in the ends to hold it so that what? They don't have to actually touch the ends of the corn? Then it just goes further and further where there are special troughs made just for the corn to sit in because what? You don't have to put it on your plate with the rest of your food? There's also special butter applicators if you really need to spend time on what must be some kind of religious ritual of anointing the corn.

Now not to point any fingers here, but the common factor in all this is mid-westerners of the USA. That's where it rears its ugly head. Can anyone here shed any light onto the significance of attempting to elevate what is a simple process of picking up a cob of corn and eating it? Children of the Corn?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Nothing beats walking up to a 7'-8' stalk of G-90 or other super sweet corn and breaking one off, peel and eat, very tender no cooking required. It's so sweet and juicy it will be running down your chin no matter how you try it. It's not the easiest corn to grow but nothing taste better imo.

Oldtimer we lived down here all our lives and I remember when we were little we had those little yellow things you stick in the ends of the corn and the long corn shaped bowls that went along with them. If I had to guess it was for the kids, don't remember anyone else using them. That was a long time ago and don't see the point anymore, seems silly now but when were kids we thought we were doing something. Probably the point, to get us to eat corn ?

I just leave some of the stalk on and use it to hold the cob, roll it on a stick of butter and add a little salt.

As a child, I was led to believe that the plastic corn handles were "fancy", even though my folks didn't use them... As an adult, if the husk doesn't turn too black while grilling (soaked in water first), I leave it on for an even bigger handle to free up my beer hand.

This cast iron cornbread pan is the closest thing to a corn "trough" that I own:

post-6935-0-22180000-1393475086_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Nothing beats walking up to a 7'-8' stalk of G-90 or other super sweet corn and breaking one off, peel and eat, very tender no cooking required.

Nothing? What about walking up to the stock, breaking one off, peeling it, and finding a billion dollars? I could eat at the Del Taco everyday with that kind of dough…oh wait…I already do. Actually i thought this thread was about that heavy metal band Korn. Useless Klipsch Forum Trivia: About 10 years ago, I lived around the corner from the Korn member named Monkey.

Thank you for listening…enjoy your corn.

Edited by BigStewMan

Nothing? What about walking up to the stock, breaking one off, peeling it, and finding a billion dollars? I could eat at the Del Taco everyday with that kind of dough…oh wait…I already do. Actually i thought this thread was about that heavy metal band Korn. Useless Klipsch Forum Trivia: About 10 years ago, I lived around the corner from the Korn member named Monkey.

Thank you for listening…enjoy your corn.

Would you settle for finding some rusty tin containers, opening them, and finding $10 million?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/california-couple-finds-10m-buried-treasure-in-back-yard/

Edit: In your yard?

Edited by mungkiman

Anywhere north of Sheboygan, WI it's simply a matter of burning the corn over some coals, pulling back and holding the cob by the scorched husk with a bare hand while suffering third-degree burns, dipping it in coffee can of boiling butter, then dusting it with enough road salt to turn it white.

A thoroughly pickled puss and 3 hours of fishing kernels out of ones teeth was good times.

Can't vouch for them Milwaukee and Chicago types....never saw the yellow stuff there although it was often spoke of fervently amongst financiers. In Milwaukee everything is "on a stick". Then again, there could have been a few camouflaged cobs with all that paraphernalia Oldtimer was talking about.

Would you settle for finding some rusty tin containers, opening them, and finding $10 million?

depends on the condition of the containers.

if dog poop and used condoms every becomes valuable, i'll be rich--those are the only thing i see when i'm out taking a walk. it's a shame when you can't even enjoy the scenery because you have to keep on eye on where you step.

Nothing?

Your exactly right,

Nothing that has to do with eating corn, by myself, without models or cheerleaders, money or anything, but me and corn in an empty room. think that covers it ?

really--i figured you for a straight outta the can guy. I was going to offer you my fork; sounds like you're doing fine.

• Moderators
really--i figured you for a straight outta the can guy.

Been there before also, but we do love gardens. Seems the older we get the smaller the gardens get, it's a lot of work.

Now we have a small raised garden for tomatoes and eggplant and sometimes a little corn in another area. It seems like every time I plant a big area in corn we have a drought in the spring, never fails.

Let's face it. We all have craws. And one thing that has been stuck in mine for some time is the bizarreness of serving and eating corn on the cob for some people. The thing is, being raised by Texans, I never was exposed as a child to all the paraphernalia that seems to follow the seemingly straightforward task of eating corn on the cob. I mean, there seems to be an entire industry devoted to it. There are those usually corn cob shaped sticker things that people think they have to insert in the ends to hold it so that what? They don't have to actually touch the ends of the corn? Then it just goes further and further where there are special troughs made just for the corn to sit in because what? You don't have to put it on your plate with the rest of your food? There's also special butter applicators if you really need to spend time on what must be some kind of religious ritual of anointing the corn.

Now not to point any fingers here, but the common factor in all this is mid-westerners of the USA. That's where it rears its ugly head. Can anyone here shed any light onto the significance of attempting to elevate what is a simple process of picking up a cob of corn and eating it? Children of the Corn?

Its not wise to MOCK the corn cob gods, Who knows exactly how big a corn cob holder they hold in reserve, or where they are willing to insert it :emotion-14:

We used the little corn cob holders when I was a kid. Seemed more of a novelty. Hadn't seen one in years. Typically we'll soak an unpeeled ear in water for half an hour and throw it on the grill while we're cooking something else. Always comes out perfect. The water steams the corn and keeps it from burning. The outside gets pretty charred but inside is just right.

Man, I guess if I'm going to be anything it may as well be a Corn Snob :rolleyes: I admit it, I use the big OXO rubber gripped corn holders and let my corn swim in a pool of "Land O'Lakes" when not in the carriage return mode :o The handles are so you can keep your fingers fairly dry while removing every kernel from stem to stern on the ear ;) Now don't get me wrong properly prepared fresh veggies are one of the best things about eating as a matter a fact I'm with Dtel on the stripped back raw form of eating it too :D

I like most vegetables in the raw, when we were kids we would peel potatoes and slice in half with a salt shaker in hand and have at it, I loved raw turnips and cabbage as well.

Best Regards,

Forum Corn Snob