Before I purchase a subscription to Pandora.

The Dude

I've used Pandora and I subscribe to Spotify. While the number of tracks available on Spotify is a plus I find that Pandora is a little more random with their track selections. Which turns me on to more tracks by more artists. It does seem to me though that once I started "liking" tracks on a Pandora or Spotify station, that artist/track/album tends to show up a lot more. Now I just "star" the track or add it to a playlist. And I rationalize it by if I listen to 10 new songs a month it's like buying 10 new songs in iTunes. Albeit if I cancel my subscription those songs go bye-bye.

There are only two major cons about Spotify for my needs. #1) Only one user is allowed to access the account at a time. If I'm using it at work and my wife logs in on her phone it boots me out. #2) Having younger children I wish there was a way to block explicit content like on Pandora. Nothing like running across the living room and diving for the remote or faking a sneeze when you know an F bomb is about to drop.

Welcome to the forum, Comay.

Thanks, mungkiman. I've been lurking for a few months.

How did you make your own play list. I did follow a good soul playlist.

On a computer it's very similar to iTunes. File -> New Playlist. Or you can right click on a song and click "Add to" and select "New Playlist". On a mobile device (iPad in this instance) once a song is selected, tap the plus sign and choose which playlist you want to add it to or tap the green plus sign in the upper right of the pop up menu to create a new playlist. I apologize I'm not the best teacher.

post-57508-0-25020000-1393640126_thumb.j

Edited by comay

• Moderators
I've used Pandora and I subscribe to Spotify. While the number of tracks available on Spotify is a plus I find that Pandora is a little more random with their track selections. Which turns me on to more tracks by more artists.

Welcome Comay, Happy Mardi Gras.

Exactly, probably use Pandora for general listening and Spotify for finding certain things.

I was thinking how great all of this is, finding and listening to music has never been easier. And it's free, if you don't like a couple of commercials you can pay a little and avoid those also.

Now go thru most of the dial on FM or even HD radio and you will quickly realize how few commercials and bigger selection internet radio has, you pick your music instead of the a over the air station.

It's a big deal, I could go right now and between a few internet stations and play almost any song I can think of, for free. Choices were always physical media or regular radio only. Young people might not think it's that big of a deal but to someone old enough to remember FM radio replacing AM, this is amazingly handy.

Edited by dtel

I am like you dtel, I get tired of one artist and like the variety on Pandora. I guess there is Spotify, Mog and others to suit an individuals taste.

Not hard to do with Spotify at all..... The audio quality of Pandora and Track selection is very poor.

I tried Mog and a couple of the other service and did not find much difference compared to Pandora on my system. Pandor is on my Bluray and maybe there is a difference in the streaming quality?

• Moderators
I tried Mog and a couple of the other service and did not find much difference compared to Pandora on my system. Pandor is on my Bluray and maybe there is a difference in the streaming quality?

Same here, Samsung C6500 going into a DAC. The only app I can get is Pandora with Samsung, I looked again today hoping they added others.

Before the DAC I used a Yamaha receiver as a preamp, with it I could plug in a laptop and get any from the internet and to me MOG may have sounded slightly better but not much, and the DAC is 100% better sound than the receiver so it stays so all I have is Pandora inside. I need to try the USB connection on the DAC and try it with the laptop, can't hurt, I heard the USB connection was not always very good ? It would give me other choices.

Edited by dtel

Same here, Samsung C6500 going into a DAC. The only app I can get is Pandora with Samsung, I looked again today hoping they added others.

Dtel, that is how I listen to Pandora in my main system. Samsung 59C6500 Plasma to Cambridge Audio 840C player/DAC. Cool thing is that the 840C upsamples from native 16bit/48kHz to 24bit/384kHz. It does have a little better detail and openness than without upsampling in my rig.

Bill

• Moderators

My DAC does not upsample, but it's such an improvement from the receiver as a preamp it was well worth it. I tried the XDA-1 DAC because there was a newer model coming out and found one like new with 2 years still left on the warranty for $160 shipped, the guy had to have the latest. :emotion-21:

How do you connect from the Samsung, I'm using the optical.

I would just like to mention another free music site that I listen to from time to time called jazzradio.com. The fidelity is quite good to my ears. It has annoying commercials but the way around that is to just click onto another station as soon as you hear it.

One thing I noticed about Pandora is that there are a lot more commercials and the quality is lower on my smartphone. I wonder if there is a higher stream rate thru my BDP? I almost don't even notice the occassional commercial on the BDP.

Edited by derrickdj1

Ok, day three here on Spotify and i don't have much to add except that my mind is blown that this is even legal. I have made 3 playlists so far with a total of 200 or songs. I'm in music heaven. I feel like a just bought a new Mercedes for $5000. Amazing deal but it seems to good to be true like i need to horde all the music I can before its shutdown...lol.

• Like 1

Spotify will try to lure you in with a Facebook login, but look for the smaller print to create an account instead. I deleted my Facebook and detangled Spotify from it.... it can be done! I like the flexibility in following/sharing with friends that I choose, without being forced to do so. You can also follow artists to be alerted when they have new releases.

Beware, though. It's highly addictive. One searched song leads to another, then another, and another....I have one playlist that's 24 hours long, and it wasn't hard to assemble :)

It will also import any songs found on your harddrive.

I'm hooked on Spotify. Everything Amy says is true and the sq is very good.

Edited by SWL
  • Like 1

I like the fact that I don't have to click on still listening when listening, I all so get bands that I never herd on Pandora.

I agree especially being introduced to artists I may not have ever heard.

I am very pleased with the sound quality of Pandora wireless streaming in my setups. My Integra/Heresy combo in our guest bedroom does a great job at Pandora. The same can be said of my Samsung TV/Cambridge Audio 840C DAC/RF-63 combo. As mentioned before, the 840C takes the 16bit/48kHz and upsamples it to 24bit/384kHz. I observe a very discernible improvement over native sampling rate.

The only time I don't really enjoy Pandora or any streaming for that matter is with my phone hooked directly to either of my systems. SMART phone DACs are junk.

Bill

Edited by willland

Here are how many tracks each streaming service has.

1.) Spotify ------ 20,000,000
2.) Deezer ------ 20,000,000
3.) Last.FM ----- 18,000,000
4.) rdio ----- 18.000,000
5.) MOG ------ 16,000,000
6.) Grooveshark -- 15,000,000
7.) Slacker radio - 13,000,000
8.) Rhapsody ----- 11,000,000

9.) Pandora ------ 800,000

• Like 1