CW II Crossovers....

RonW.

OK, I have a pair of Cormwall II's vintage '87 in which I upgraded with Crites replacement crossovers. Although there is nothing wrong with them I was wondering what would be the next step up and what audible differences can I expect.

Thanks,

RonW.

how come you did not flush mount your horns? Also why is it that nobody ever seems to want to paint the inside of their reflex vents?

The OP might also want to consider going to two way Cornwall (see Bob Crites) or to large format drivers.There are members who have gone that route with Cornwall. Best regards Moray James

PS: here is a link to what I am talking about, a from the ground up build with attention to detail on the baffle. flush mount drivers and painted vents. don't know if there will be any internal brace work.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=577522

Edited by moray james

how come you did not flush mount your horns? Also why is it that nobody ever seems to want to paint the inside of their reflex vents?

I bought them like this. Only had them a couple weeks. I'll work on getting them listenable first, then aesthetics.

Fair enough. I made the assumption that since Schu posted the picture that they were his Cornwall's. The mid horn look nice is that one of Dave's? Are you using the K55 to drive the mid or is it a two inch exit driver? If you take a look at the link I posted you can see that Luckytiger has used the side mounted vents which will really stiffen up the cabinet baffle and sides. I don't know if he will install any additional internal brace work but that would also be very helpful especially for the top bottom and back panels. Best regards Moray James.

Maybe the horn was designed to go in that way, wasn't the original horn mounted that way?

Looks nice Carl. Do you have the grills? You know they were voiced with grills on, right? : )

Ron, it's one of Carl's modified Cornwalls. I believe he has Bob's CT-125 tweeters, and the midrange horns are built by Dave Harris of Fast lane Audio. The crossovers are on my bench, where all crossovers going to the "next level" belong. :-)

Carl's Type B2's are part of my beta testing stage involving the application of DC from a 9v battery to the capacitors in the network. It's referred to as "DC biasing" or "charge coupled capacitors".

Since JBL, Vandersteen, and Infinity have all used this method with great success - "testing" on my end mostly involves rounding up a host of guinea pigs to get some listening impressions.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1993-k2-s5500/page11.jpg

You asked about the next step, and a network guy is always going to push you to another network.

If you jack on the volume, or feel like you really want to experience the pinnacle of performance in all its glory, then you have to go after the horn.

I don't know enough about Dave's mounting/transition board to know whether or not it can deal with your mid-driver.

Dave?

Edited by DeanG

Even PWK (more or less) came around to flush mounting horns. Since mouth reflections are probably the major problem most horns have flush mounting only makes good sense. As for floppy boxes sorry I am not in that camp and not even a visitation fro Paul himself would make build a hollow box. You can take a look at a pair of H3 with 3/4"x3/4" solid white oak brace work. Comparing these to the stock box leaves no doubt in your mind as to the value of solid brace work. Best regard Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=438234

Looks nice Carl. Do you have the grills? You know they were voiced with grills on, right? : ) Ron, it's one of Carl's modified Cornwalls. I believe he has Bob's CT-125 tweeters, and the midrange horns are built by Dave Harris of Fast lane Audio. The crossovers are on my bench, where all crossovers going to the "next level" belong. :-)

I have the grills. Unfortunately, that's something else that needs working on. When I bought them, I didn't realize that the opening hadn't been cut in the grill backing after the fasttrac mod. The opening is the same size as the old original horns. Jeesh.

Bobs tweets, correct. Original drivers on the mid horns.