my digital music access configuration (for tigerwoodKhorns)

Caveat: for the sake of brevity, google is your friend. Feel free to ask specific questions, but I'm trying to avoid being unnecessarily verbose.

All of my music is stored on a homebrew NAS called unRAID. Because it's linux based, it's very flexible and very customizable. Unraid 5.x and higher supports plugins, with a relatively active plugin community.

So the music is stored on a NAS. On that NAS, I have the following plugins installed:

> Beets Music (for cataloging and automatic tagging against the MusicBrainz database)

> SNAP for mounting drives outside of the NAS array. This allows me mount a NTFS drive with movies on it.

> Serviio Media Center for DLNA streaming. This allows me to send music and movies to my Oppo BDP-93.

> Subsonic for music streaming to web browsers, iphones, ipads, and android devices. Enables on the fly transcoding of my FLAC library to mp3 in any bitrate I wish to specify. So I can crunch down tight for streaming over LTE to my phone while in the car. Or 320kpbs for playing in my web browser at work. My daughter has an old iphone attached to a music dock in her room and accesses the library over wifi at home. Oh and I've connected my iPad/iPhone to my KMC-3 at parties for people to browse through and play. Files can be cached locally for offline play and I can give friends their own access to the web portal in order to sample music I suggest.

> OpenSSH for remote access.

The file system shares data via SMB, NFS, AFP, etc.

For 2-channel listening my laptop serves as a transport for 16/44.1, 24/96, and 24/192 FLAC files. I have JRiver Media Center running on my MacBook Pro and connected to the NAS via SMB. Audio is played through an JDS Labs ODAC directly into my amplifier. Anything over 24/96 is downsampled, 24/96 and below is left alone.

For control I have JRemote which allows me to browse the library with pretty album art, create playlists, ffwd/rwd through tracks, and digital volume control.

So there you have it. Access to all 1,977 of my albums as long as I have a network connection.

• Like 2

Thanks! There's whole segments of my library that i'm finding sound like garbage on my 2-channel rig - not because the files themselves are bad, but because the original recordings have such compressed dynamic range (cough, cough, Rock). it's just not pleasant.

But i still want to be able to play those tunes over my truck radio when im out in my field working or shooting clays, through some crappy garage speakers when I'm tinkering, etc.

I like to play my singer/songwriter and folk music when I'm sitting out by the fire pit smoking a pipe and feeling contemplative.

And so on, and so forth.

SNAP (Share Non Array Partitions) is just a plugin for unRAID: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=18046.msg162098#msg162098

NTFS is just the file system used by windows. It allows 2TB+ disks, etc. It's an evolution of FAT that began with Windows NT 3.1 if I remember correctly. It's not a specific type of drive. I use it for movies because I originally had it attached to a windows system and didn't have a second 2TB drive available when I switched over to exclusively Mac/Linux operating systems, so mounting it to my unRAID NAS allows me to read and write to the NTFS file system without any issues.

Here's a list of plugins available for unRAID 5.x.

I am using the almost the same setup. I also have an Unraid server using subsonic. It holds all of my music, movies & photos, & I can stream them wherever I go. When I get in my car, the Bluetooth connects to my android phone & starts the subsonic player & plays music from my home. I use an android tablet in the garage when I am working, & play movies from my WDTV on any room.