Peek-a-boo

Coytee

Wife is going to make the grills for me (how cool is that)

I don't know that any damping will go around the cutouts (at least on the outside, visible portion of the wall)

What might happen because of not doing that??

When studios flush mount, they will wall every side of the cavity so that it is surrounding the speaker. They will also make sure the speaker only touches the floor (which sometimes means creative stands). You leave just enough gap to put absorption in there to absorb the sound created from vibration of the cabinet. Systems that don't do this tend to sound like they're firing out of a cave - a bit of an over exaggeration, but it conveys the idea.

One of the reasons for a tight gap is that it will push any resonance of the cavity to a higher frequency where it is both easier to absorb and where our cabinets tend to vibrate less. There's also the consideration of how the sound waves from other sources interact with the space too.

All of this happens behind the wall so it doesn't affect aesthetics.

I'd post pics, but I'm writing from my phone. A Google search for studio flush mounting should provide some ideas (I hope).

• 3 months later...

Update:

Once upon a time the LaScals were hidden behind drywall. Now, they're hidden behind the grills the wife made (from scratch!)

Though the fabric was expensive, I think she did a nice job.

We are making bets with each other to see how long they last before our cat discovers the joys of clawing them.

post-12967-0-19160000-1405653899_thumb.j

• Like 2

Update:

Once upon a time the LaScals were hidden behind drywall. Now, they're hidden behind the grills the wife made (from scratch!)

Though the fabric was expensive, I think she did a nice job.

We are making bets with each other to see how long they last before our cat discovers the joys of clawing them.

Looks great. Cant wait to see when the room is done.

Edited by reference_head