Frazier Crossover Capacitors

MZernial

Yes, it's packed with wax. The price of an equivalent replacement would make your chest seize up. It looks clean, and as long as the wax isn't seeping through the cardboard tube or leaking out of the ends - leave it alone.

Edited by DeanG

Are wax caps better or something?

I am surprised nobody has come in with replacing the caps with something more modern. If they were my Fraziers and those caps were bad, I would call Bob Crites and buy a set of Sonicaps.

There are differences in opinions everywhere about when to replace caps and when not to. The best advice I could give would be to buy a couple Sonicaps, and try them. If you hear a big difference, you will be glad you did it. If you do not, then you are out about $25, and you can solder the wax ones back in if they are indeed better. I buy stuff all the time and find out I didn't need it. The only true way to tell is to hear the difference.

Yes, That is what I am going to do. Just received the Sonicaps today (4- 3.0 uF), I am going to replace in (1) speaker only for A/B compairison. Question, these are Mark IV's I have seen pic's with (2) 3.0 uF caps and mine only (1) 3.0 uF, which is correct? should I try both 6.0 uF and 3.0 uF?

The Electrocube caps were hard to beat.

They are a stacked-film type with hand-soldered teflon wire leads, in a paper tube filled with sand and sealed with wax.

I have never seen one fail.

The cap in the photo is not an Electrocube.

Edited by djk

The cap in the photo is not an Electrocube.

I mistakingly thought it was.

The cut sheet Chris put up says "metalized condenser".

I love the construction of the Jupiter Vintage Flat Stacks. I've started my own personal supply. I feel like I belong on an episode of "Hoarders".

Edited by DeanG

Ok installed the Sonicaps today, just did one at first. did A/B comparision with the wife and kids (and of course myself). well the Sonicaps won (barely) went ahead and changed to other. Break-in time. I can tell you these are super sweet!!!