Dave's Fastlane fastrac horns?

crouse

You could also modify/adjust the crossover to bring the level of the mids down a little to help prevent the buzzsaw in your forehead feeling. It can make the whole balance seem better, too.

Bruce

If you use a swamping resistor and buy Bob Crites Autoformer that does 1 db increments, you can tweak it to your heart's content. That is what I did before I sold my last pair of LaScalas and started evolving MWMs stacks like Mark 1101.

Members 353 posts Offline Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:03 PM I have a set of Daves Fastrac horns in my Cornscala's and they sound wonderful.
What are the components of a Cornscala doc?

I run Dave's 350hz version in my Cornscala DBB's (dual 15" woofs)

Altec 902 16A drivers crossed at 450hz (ALK ESN DBB 450 networks) and JBL 2404 tweeters.

These bass bins (Crites cast 15's) have had a few mid horns atop them. K400/K401, K510's and Altec 511Bs.

The Fastrac horns sound the best. JMHO

tc

I think there's something wrong with your system.

Na led zep is a party band. They didn't live in the studio when they made an album. Im sure they may say they worked hard but you can hear it. I guess we will agree to disagree :D

Led Zep is re-issuing it's 1st few albums with Jimmy Page remastering the tracks , so I would expect the 'New' tracks to sound better

BUT I agree with Dean something is 'off' with your system . Or it could be they were before yer time L O L

I think there's something wrong with your system.

Na led zep is a party band. They didn't live in the studio when they made an album. Im sure they may say they worked hard but you can hear it. I guess we will agree to disagree :D

Led Zep is re-issuing it's 1st few albums with Jimmy Page remastering the tracks , so I would expect the 'New' tracks to sound better

BUT I agree with Dean something is 'off' with your system . Or it could be they were before yer time L O L

They were before my time, and I love em. I never herd any bad recordings from them. But haven't listened to all of them either. Though I probably won't purchase them when the new remasters come out, but am looking forward to them.

• 2 years later...

I'm looking into a pair of Dave's fastracs for my La Scalas. For those of you that have them, how are they compared to the K400 horn?

I am interested in this myself. From what I have read so far they are more 'open' than the stock K400 horn. I am pretty sure a couple of members here have them in their 'Scalas

• Like 1

Drop in replacement and an obvious improvement. I'm a heritage fan by history but with time..... the k400 is not a horn I like anymore.

I would be stunned if you had any regrets after buying it.

I apologize in advance to the klipsch purists......

• Like 1

I'm looking into a pair of Dave's fastracs for my La Scalas. For those of you that have them, how are they compared to the K400 horn?

I am interested in this myself. From what I have read so far they are more 'open' than the stock K400 horn. I am pretty sure a couple of members here have them in their 'Scalas
How do you like the Crites tweets and xovers in your Scalas?

Being difficult for me to compare back to back a stock KHorn with my Fastlane Elliptrac KHorn with extreme slope networks I was able to listen to a new stock KHorn in the listening room at Hope. In that room I found the stock horns to be much more forward and in your face than mine. But again I was sitting much closer than at home, I listen to tubes amps vs. an inexpensive SS integrated used at Hope so environments are varied for sure. But I find my Horns very smooth, no bite at all and a huge soundstage across a full 22 foot front. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with a better damped and larger mouthed Fastlane horn. Sounding as good as my Horns do is what is keeping me from investing in Jubes.

• Like 2

How do you like the Crites tweets and xovers in your Scalas?

I really like them but I have no frame of reference. I actually got lucky because the guy I bought it from had recently upgraded the X-overs and tweeters but still decided to sell them.

Does anyone have the fastrac horns with the Crites crossovers?

If you have a large room and/or like to listen loud - go with steeper slopes. In this case, I recommend contacting John Warren.

Everyone else: use the Type AA with paper in oil capacitors (if you're interested in truly good sound) - they get plenty loud enough in the kind of rooms us poor people have. :)

Drop in replacement and an obvious improvement. I'm a heritage fan by history but with time..... the k400 is not a horn I like anymore.

I would be stunned if you had any regrets after buying it.

I apologize in advance to the klipsch purists......

"Drop in replacement..."  

On my 'Scalas I had to loosen the tweeters first so that the Fastracs would fit in place, and also drill two screw holes per horn to mount the Fastracs securely (Dave's horns do not use the K-400 screw holes or screws).  Not difficult to do, but just thought you should know for those of you who are considering making the swap.

Edited by scalawag