What's with Mei Xing?

Mallette

Absolutely prolific Chinese tube amps. Ebay is ROTTEN with them. Prices are really cheap, and the things look beautiful...but a Google search for reviews just gets page after page of their own propaganda with little else.

Dave

I run imports and love them.

Iv seen this brand but have not run with them.

Everything iv bought from "Primeamp" has been great stuff, I have not one bad thing to say about them.

Kim, the guy at Primeamp has sent me the specs on the amps they produce, exact copy's of Mac's, fishers, scotts, and the like.

Untill you buy and try, you will never know, I took the chance, best dam money iv ever spent.

I would put my mono blocks side by side with ANY American amp anytime.

There are more Audiophile's in China than you can believe. they stand by their equipment, i'll give them that.

Guest David H
Primeamp has sent me the specs on the amps they produce, exact copy's of Mac's, fishers, scotts, and the like.

The circuits may be the same but the transformers are not. Many of these import amps use great components and skimp on the iron, and although they may sound good they are not the same.

That said, budget permitting the Chinese amps may be right for you, I personally prefer a rebuilt classic Dynaco, Scott, Mcintosh etc.

Dave

• Like 1

Primeamp has sent me the specs on the amps they produce, exact copy's of Mac's, fishers, scotts, and the like.

The circuits may be the same but the transformers are not. Many of these import amps use great components and skimp on the iron, and although they may sound good they are not the same.

That said, budget permitting the Chinese amps may be right for you, I personally prefer a rebuilt classic Dynaco, Scott, Mcintosh etc.

Dave

As an ex tube fanatic, I will agree............"It's the IRON."

Dave

Agree, and have had the same thoughts for years, but so far it's all been good.

I remember bluesboy set up a cheap amp shoot out with three amps. A Fisher tubed integrated (101?), a HK 730 (?) solid state, and a Chinese tubed amp I can't recall the name. Using a Niles switch for quickly switching back and forth the cheap Chinese amp finished a very distant third and then promptly died. I guess the test just wore it out :unsure:

A lot of the Chinese amps look great and perform great. Price per performance ratio is great. For my two channel setup I had a recondition McIntosh 1700 and the Yaqin VK 2100. They were equally good but, I sold the Mc since it was 40 watts and the Yaqin is 80 watts. I love the look of the chinese amps, very classy.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

I thought so, to...however, seems to be significant number of bad tubes and DOAs. Not huge, and stuff happens...but with all those sales you'd think there'd be more reviews and user opinions instead of page after page of links to sellers.

Guess I just a bit of a hard sell...

Sort of the same with Frenzel. His stuff looks awesome, but he doesn't do visitors and user reviews are almost non-existent except testimonials on his site. Much to be said for being able to spec precisely what you want for inputs and such, but I guess I am still with Reagan: "Trust, but verify."

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Much to be said for being able to spec precisely what you want for inputs and such, but I guess I am still with Reagan: "Trust, but verify."

Its like a business opportunity in a way. Once you have squeezed all the risk out of it, it's too expensive. It's fun to find great value in the land of "4 figure cables". I have taken the chance buying equipment that was less expensive than the recognized best in class and so far I am batting about .750 and I have a tenth the amount in my sound system as compared to some fellows I know. For some reason these same fellows are not eager to listen to my system once I tell them some details.

I have a company that sources oversees and there is a wide range of quality out there. Sometimes I can pay less and get better quality. Honest testimonials and track records are very good indicators. Price isn't a good predictor on goods made in China.

What I find fascinating is tube manufacturers of today versus NOS or just OS. Just don't have the time to get to the bottom of it. I will have to depend on those that have and are willing to share their expertise.

• Like 1

Same in Singapore in the 80s. Wish I'd bought more vintage stuff while I lived there. They always wanted the "latest and greatest" and lots of great stuff for resale. Heard K'horns there in a shop.

Dave

ah, so your one of the gifted few that have seen the other side........

Much to be said for being able to spec precisely what you want for inputs and such, but I guess I am still with Reagan: "Trust, but verify."

Its like a business opportunity in a way. Once you have squeezed all the risk out of it, it's too expensive. It's fun to find great value in the land of "4 figure cables". I have taken the chance buying equipment that was less expensive than the recognized best in class and so far I am batting about .750 and I have a tenth the amount in my sound system as compared to some fellows I know. For some reason these same fellows are not eager to listen to my system once I tell them some details.

I have a company that sources oversees and there is a wide range of quality out there. Sometimes I can pay less and get better quality. Honest testimonials and track records are very good indicators. Price isn't a good predictor on goods made in China.

What I find fascinating is tube manufacturers of today versus NOS or just OS. Just don't have the time to get to the bottom of it. I will have to depend on those that have and are willing to share their expertise.

"4 figure cables", LMAO, have not quite heard it that way before, that is great!