Subs to match with KG 5.5's?

jimjimbo

Hi all,

Recently refurbished my KG 5.5's with new crossovers and tweeters, and am building a listening/HT setup. Amp is an Emotiva XPA-5, Oppo BDP-103, and an as yet to be determined preamp/processor....

Parameters: 70% two channel, 30% TV sports, TV and movies.

Music: classic rock, funk/soul, blues, jazz, Pavarotti...

Would like suggestions for a sub to go well with the speakers, preferably under $1500. Thanks for your help.

& if you wanted to save a ton of money over a new sub, look for a velodyne fsr series sub. they pop up quite often on ebay or CL for around $500 or less. hard to beat a fsr-15 for that price & IMO it will compete with many new/current subs for twice the price. these were $1000-$1500 when new & are servo controlled subs. shoot get 2 of them for ~$1000 & you will never look back!

I have 4 rw12ds with my kg 5.5s. I got them cheap. overall with the money spent I could have gotten one good sub that puts out equal or more. Thinking of trying out some horn bass when I get time to tinker.

Hi all,

Recently refurbished my KG 5.5's with new crossovers and tweeters, and am building a listening/HT setup. Amp is an Emotiva XPA-5, Oppo BDP-103, and an as yet to be determined preamp/processor....

Parameters: 70% two channel, 30% TV sports, TV and movies.

Music: classic rock, funk/soul, blues, jazz, Pavarotti...

Would like suggestions for a sub to go well with the speakers, preferably under $1500. Thanks for your help.

why don't you experiment for free and experiment with lenghting the vent in your 5.5? Some rolled up craft paper and a little tape any you can play with different vent length all you want. This will lower the tuning of your speaker. I am sure that you will fine a wad of extra free bass somewhere between the stock length and double that length. What ever length you settle upon you can replace the paper with a cardboard or plastic vent of the same overall length. Zero integration issues and no sub to buy. Don't forget to reposition your speakers as you change the vent length. You should be able to drop the 3db down point at least 5 - 6 Hz easily so you can expect output into the upper twenties. Any sub that you buy is not likely to do much more than that. Exercise your options first and play with the vent length. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1