Klipschorn vs La Scala

s3steve

I run a pair of La Scala's with SW15 sub. I run all tube equipment. I custom built a 40 watt per channel tube amp with a Sound Valves pre and a Jolida tube CD player. Listening room has high cathedral ceilings. The La Scala's have Crites crossovers and they image really well. The SW15 kicks butt. The tubes really help with mid range harshness. When I first got my La Scala's I had a Carver M500 power amp and it sounded harsh and gritty. I got to babysit a pair of Khorns for a friend and I really liked them but I prefer the La Scala's. Especially when you add the SW15.

Having owned both Khorns and LaScalas for over 30 years, soundwise, it is better to get LaScalas and a good Subwoofer if you have the floor space. Khorns use up less floor space, but with a little PEQ, my not need a sub, altough LaScalas with sub will outperform a Khorn, expecially with a Tuba or Tapped Horn sub.

Are you saying the time difference is why the LS will outperform the K or adding the sub will simply let the LS and the sub have a better frequency range?

Yes to both, but it depends on people's hearing sensitivity. Some people are more sensitive to phase than others. I would still split the LaScala and tri-amp it with some PEQ to it and the subs too. I'm not a fan of passives on a peaky all horn system.

Are you saying the time difference is why the LS will outperform the K or adding the sub will simply let the LS and the sub have a better frequency range?

The combination of both. Though the Lascala's bass and mids are not precisely time aligned they are close enough to get coherent summation. When used with a horn loaded biamped subwoofer that is also aligned to the woofer in the Lascala, along with a tweeter that can be moved to time align it to the mid driver, you wind up with a very good loudspeaker system that can reproduce just about anything you throw at it.

I second the motion, but I would add some PEQ or let a receiver with Audyssey do it's magic.

for the posts saying la scallas with a sub outperform the k-horns.... what about k-horns with the same sub?? :huh:

Sure, but at that point, the money would be better spent building two or four Spuds, since the Khorns don't roll off until 60 Hz. while the LaScalas roll at 100 Hz., so you need a Tuba to get that high. If you are going to bother with a Sub for a Khorn, you may as well get to 17 Hz. rather than just 25 with a Tuba. Plus you can spread the thinner cabinets around the room and ameliorate all the peaks and dips from the room. I have both Tuba and Super Spuds, and have had Khorns and LaScalas, so my opinion is based on listening and measurements.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

good points, but the post at the top of this page 3 was not talking about a horn sub, hes using a sw15 sub. with any sub added to the la scallas of course they are going to sound "better" than the k-horns. afterall they are basically the same components as the k-horn, just a little less on the maximun bass output.

plus, as nice as horn subs may be, they are much more difficult to build, afford or fit into some rooms than a good direct radiator sub.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 3/6/2014 at 1:52 AM, s3steve said:

Are the Klipschorn's really that much better then the La Scala's?

A couple of thousand or more better?

The hardware looks the same, the Klipschorn does have a lower bass response.

I assume its the larger volume of the Khorn cabinet?

Lets hear from a few of the guys who have heard both and tell me why I should spend the extra coin on the Klipschorn's or save a few bucks and buy the La Scala's.

Not trying to stir the pot just looking for opions on a possiable purchase.

Just now, Frank Jansz said:

I love the Big Sound of The Klipschorn and The Lascala plus the Bell Klipsch as well. Depending on your Room Size .and if your lounge is about 25' Long by around 22 ' Wide with Corners then I would Consider the Klipschorn Korner Horns  and should the Lounge be a bit Smaller I would consider the Lascala or the BelleKlipsch or even the JBL Sovereign  and I personally think you will have your Sound Longer filled with Music 

Kind Rgds

Francis Jansz

Australia

• 2 weeks later...

a good friend owned La Scalas and always lusted after my Klipschorns.

I guess that says something.

We never did get around to A/B'ing them and our sources were always different so there's that too.

On 3/5/2014 at 2:03 PM, Boxx said:

The Khorn and the La Scala will improve their imaging performance dramatically if you remove the tweeters from inside their cabinets and place in a small baffle on top of the speaker, thus facilitating the tweeter to move toward the back of the cabinet to time align the driver/horn with the midrange horn below it. This isn't a trivial increase in performance but it is a simple and inexpensive mod that is easily reversible.

I did this very thing back in 1977, and when I spent a day with Paul Klipsch, at his house and the factory in Hope in 1985, he did disagreed with that. I'm just lucky he didn't hand me a Bullshit Button! My conclusion is: Some people are sensitive to phase anomalies, and some are not.