Klipsch Heresy 1's SOUND

Vega211R

I just bought a pair of 76 Heresy Decorator's in like new condition hardly used at all, and I changed the caps and it really helped.

Get a hold of Bob Crites and either buy some caps or have him rebuild your crossovers, it definately needs to be done.

The parts are cheep if you can solder, and it will make a dramatic diference.

Leaving the original caps in is like driving your 'vette with dry-rotted original tires, and the worn-out original shocks.

I own a 9090DB, there is a lot of room for improvement there, not to mention the caps are all tired there too.

I use 76 Heresy's with a Yamaha CR2020 in a 20x20 room and they do quite well. The cap replacement was a must.

Different room... different sound... it can vary drastically IMHO!

For square rooms try them on the diagonal just to hear what that does for you.

OK.. I think we pretty much have a consensus here. Caps and crossovers are looking mighty strong as being the culprits. Thanks to everyone for all of yall help and input. Since there seems to be good sound coming out of all 3 on both speakers, and from the bit I've learned from yall tonight, I'm putting the caps and crossovers in my sights. I will look and most likely go with what some of you recommended. It may be a little while, but I'll get back after its done hopefully with some good news. Thank to all..... :)

Oh... I own a 9090DB, there is a lot of room for improvement there, not to mention the caps are all tired there too.

I bought mine brand new in January of 1977. Done gone thru the inside twice..

Edited by Vega211R

FYI: For anyone who may not know this. For cabinet's that have a oil finish, such as my Heresy 1's which have a Walnut Oil, Klipsch recommends using a product called Watco Rejuvenating Oil. Follow directions and treat the wood every 1 to 1.5 years. It just wipes on, let set for 15 to 20 minutes, then wipe off. It really makes the wood look great. Also just dust as usual every week or so. It's made by the Rust Oleum people. You can find it at Lowes or Home Depot. Now also I want to offer a little something for everyone's help who would have a use for it. When I purchased my Hersey's as mentioned, they were shipped double boxed, with the inside box being their original box when sold new. They also had all of each speakers manuals along with warranty cards all in the Owner Information Packet for each speaker. Each packet had two manuals. One says Klipsch Loudspeaker Systems, The Ultimate in Fidelity of Music Reproduction. It covers the Klipschorn models. The Belle Klipsch and Cornwall models. The Heresy model, and the La Scala model. Printed in U.S.A. 11-75. The other manual also says Klipsch Loudspeaker Systems and covers the same speakers. It's really the same type of manual, but this one was Printed U.S.A. 5-77. A newer manual. This literature may be hard to come by, I'm really not sure. But if anyone has any of these vintage Klipsch models and would like a copy of either or both of these manuals let me know. Other than a little yellowing of the paper they are in very good shape. What I could do is scan each cover and page and email to anyone who wants it. You could print it out on a good quality paper, even photo paper, and it should look very good. There are some nice photos. One manual is 11 and the other 15 pages Just give me your email and I'll shoot it to you.Anyhow, thanks to all.

Edited by Vega211R

Well from reading this you said you have 3 speakers ,,,,,for home theater or how are you powering center,,,,you really need to do the crossovers. I have had a Yamaha before and then I got HK 430 and it only had 24 watts compared to my Yamaha and sounded 100 % better. I do not think the Yammy has the sound you want. On my old Heresys I took the back off and glued a small extra layer of wood on the inside of the back board to stiff it up all the other check ups should be done to. Check connections on screws loosen and re-tighten. I have powered Heresys with battery powered boom box and sounded excellent. If you are using home theater make sure they are set to large. You can make these sound good I am sure something is wrong just got to figure it out. Rick

I posted this yesterday in the General Questions Section, but this might be the right place for what I'm asking:

After hearing some Heresy 1's at a buddy house a year or so ago,I knew I had to get me a pair. I also wanted a pair in good cosmetic condition. After watching Ebay for quite sometime I found a pair described as all original with nothing ever done to them. Their cosmetic condition turned out to be 99.95% Mint. Like new. A great find. But somehow they don't sound near as good as the ones my buddy had, which he no longer does. He sold them to his brother out of state. Anyhow, I know my receiver is quite a bit better than the one he had. My CD player is also much better. I'm even listening to the very same CD/music. His speakers sounded better. I can only think of two things that could be making the difference. One being the difference in the acoustics of the two different rooms. The other would be my speakers may need some type of work. I am new to the Heresy's but I've read that maybe the crossovers could be part of the problem. I don't know. Don't get me wrong, they do sound good, but far from great. As for as his speakers, I do not know if they were all original such as mine. I do not know if any work was ever done on his. So, any thoughts?? Help Welcome..

Tons of good info in this thread. I love heresy 1. Its amazing how many times i have went back to the 1 from the 2 or h3. There were several differences in building the original heresy. I have tried to switch woofers mostly in particular to hear the difference of one k22 to the next. Overall they all have the same basic frame of sound. Leaving the original heresy on the floor is prime for 1. No slanted riser like on the 2 nor a stand like can be used with the 3. Your priority without doubt is renew the crossover wither you send to crites or buy new. This will build a whole new speaker compared to what you are listening too now. The enjoyment i get from klipsch is slowly rebuilding or upgrading to your specs, this is especially fun with the heresy. Your solid state amplifiers are fine although i highly suggest getting a 12x12watt tube amp whenever you find it possible. It is truly amazing. I wish you very well

• Like 2

I still have those Heresy Decorators. Thanks again for your help Bruce.

As for as his speakers, I do not know if they were all original such as mine.

Get in touch with your friend and ask if he has done any upgrades, mods, etc. If they are modded, he could point you in a similar direction.

This is basic but make sure the polarity at the receiver & speaker terminals is consistent. Something switched around creates a bassless, vacant sound. Speaking from experience here :biggrin:.

Let us know what you try and what works.

Yes I did only mention 3 of my speakers. I'm using the Heresy's for the right and left surrounds. I do have them on stands right now about 2 feet off the floor.I have a pair of CDT-5800 ceiling speakers I'm using for the rear surrounds. I wish I would have went with something in the wall instead of ceiling. Maybe later. I have a pair of vintage Cerwin Vega 211R's that I'm using for right and left fronts. Twelve inch woofers also. I bought them in 77 when I bought my 9090DB. I have the RC-64 for the center, and a Paradigm PS1200 subwoofer. I have another pair of the CDT-5800's in front mounted left and right of the TV which are suppose to be the presence speakers. For right now I have to chose which I want to hear. The rear surrounds or the presence. I go with the rear. The RX-V2600 is 7.1. It's also rated 1080I not 1080P for the video. The TV is a Samsung PN63C8000 63" Plasma. Now for the Heresy's, I am going to do pretty much all that was suggested pertaining to the caps and crossovers. I plan to get started on them toward the end of the month. I will get them to sound as they should. Again, thanks to everyone for your input and sharing your knowledge to help... I let ya know when it happens.

Edited by Vega211R

As another poster mentioned, the sealing between the back and the cabinet is important. If you have air leaks there, the bass response will be compromised. When you remove the backs to inspect and update the crossovers, it would be a good idea to replace the weatherstrip or other sealing material you find.

Well on Heresy 1 there is no sealing.....but you can put it on there I did on mine when I reinforced the back board just used some soft door seal. I think you got these hooked to avr and avr is set wrong among needing crossover rebuild to. The polarity check idea was good one. You can do caps on crossover yourself just get them from Crites. 2 feet off the floor is not real good. Just a few ideas. you will have to try different stuff if not just 2 channel. Rick

Well on Heresy 1 there is no sealing.....but you can put it on there I did on mine when I reinforced the back board just used some soft door seal. I think you got these hooked to avr and avr is set wrong among needing crossover rebuild to. The polarity check idea was good one. You can do caps on crossover yourself just get them from Crites. 2 feet off the floor is not real good. Just a few ideas. you will have to try different stuff if not just 2 channel. Rick

Thanks..

The original Heresy has the balance tipped toward the midrange and high end. Placing them with a wall/floor boundary will give some additional bass. Placed in a corner is even better.

This explains it better:

http://www.genelec.com/learning-center/presentations-tutorials/placingloudspeakers/radiationspace/

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Since I'm new to vintage Klipsch I want to be clear. A lot was posted saying the crossover's may be the problem, and some just mentioned the capacitors. A pair of new crossovers is $175.00. That would be the whole thing. The rebuild kit is $38.00, which mainly consist of the capacitors. Since these have a little age on them, 1977, would just the capacitor kit be enough or does any one think I need to replace the whole shootin match??