Klipsch Heresy 1's SOUND

Vega211R

Since I'm new to vintage Klipsch I want to be clear. A lot was posted saying the crossover's may be the problem, and some just mentioned the capacitors. A pair of new crossovers is $175.00. That would be the whole thing. The rebuild kit is $38.00, which mainly consist of the capacitors. Since these have a little age on them, 1977, would just the capacitor kit be enough or does any one think I need to replace the whole shootin match??

Since the transformers and other items don't seem to be affected by age like the capacitors, you could leave them and just replace the caps. The capacitor kits should be all you need.

In most cases, the complete crossovers are only replaced when going for a distinct upgrade to a different type, not for maintenance reasons.

Since I'm new to vintage Klipsch I want to be clear. A lot was posted saying the crossover's may be the problem, and some just mentioned the capacitors. A pair of new crossovers is $175.00. That would be the whole thing. The rebuild kit is $38.00, which mainly consist of the capacitors. Since these have a little age on them, 1977, would just the capacitor kit be enough or does any one think I need to replace the whole shootin match??

Since the transformers and other items don't seem to be affected by age like the capacitors, you could leave them and just replace the caps. The capacitor kits should be all you need.

In most cases, the complete crossovers are only replaced when going for a distinct upgrade to a different type, not for maintenance reasons.

Great! Thank You..

• 2 months later...

I am the original owner of a pair of Heresy HWO1s purchased in 1979.

I still think they sound terrific but after 35 years, it might be prudent to have a checkup. I know Bob Crites is the go to guy for this, but is there a reputable and affordable shop that can give these little beauties the once over in my neck of the woods? I live in Portland Oregon. Thanks!

Are you the same vega211r that posted on the CV site about reworking the networks in your 211r's. Just wondering if you found the info you were looking for. I recently recapped the networks in my 211r's. Made a huge difference.

Big D

• 3 years later...

What can I say ?  You weren't imagining it.  I still have my Klipsch Heresy 1 that I think I bought in 1980, or perhaps 1979.  They went unplayed for 18 years when I lived in Europe 1997-2015, kept in a climate-controlled storage unit during that time.  They still beat anything I've otherwise heard.  I'm a musician (I play the trombone) and I have a great ear.

Edited by ArtFixChris

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add my 2 cents:

After Hurricane Katrina I was really worried about my speakers: 2 KHorns, 2 LSs, 2H1s, and an Academy. I thought the sound of some of the speakers was "off" or not what it should be. So began my journey 12 years ago....LOL. I recapped all of the Spam can caps with products via Bob Crites and ALK universals, 1 pair, via Al Klappenberger. I also bought Altec Lansing radial horns and wooden squawkers (which ever ones, 1 or 2 inch) use Klipsch type drivers, not the fancier (and perhaps better) drivers of the other throat size. My babies sound much better now. Another Khorn owner on the West Bank of New Orleans has the best sounding ones I have ever heard. I think room effects and very fancy steep slope ALK Xovers made the difference.

If the wood in the cabinets is intact, not warped in any way, well sealed (extra gaskets and "interior wool" likely not needed), and if the rubbery gasketing and paper cones are in good shape, you should be good to go.

Remember, we are all here to help each other.

On 03/06/2014 at 6:31 PM, Vega211R said:

I'm sorry I did not mention this earlier about my other amp. I also have a Sansui 9090DB which I have also tried with the Heresy's. I did get a different/warmer sound, but not what I was looking for. My buddy's sounded very clean, meaning even at low volume all sounded crystal, a fair bass. He had no subwoofer hooked up. As I said, they do sound ok. There's no static or noise you might hear with somethng blown. Just kinda muddy.

That is a pretty solid description of crossover caps going "bad". 

What year are yours?  What year were your friend's?  There were minor driver changes over the years.  That might be another difference. 

• 4 years later...

I have a pair of 1970's Heresy speakers I got from a friend. When I hooked them up to my very nice Denon AVR I was, like you, surprised because they always sounded better at my friend's house (powered by a Harmon-Kardon Citation amp from the same period).  I then hooked the speakers up to my vintage Pioneer SX-737 and there was that wonderful sound again. I then hooked up the speakers to another AVR type receiver and got the same result as with the Denon. Next I tried hooking them up to a vintage Kenwood receiver and they sounded much better. A and A-B type amps just seem to make the Heresy's come alive.