Sansui compared to tube amps

My Sansui compete well with all the marantz that I have owned. All from the 70's. I have given away a couple Marantz, but never a Sansui. Don't really know why, but that is just the way it is.

Given away;

Marantz 2270 with plastic face protector still on. Marantz 2285B. 2 Pioneer SX-950's. Nothing wrong with any of them and serviced prior to giving them away.

Kept;

Marantz 2325, Marantz 4270, Marantz 2500, Sansui 9090DB, Sansui 9090, Sansui G6000, Sansui G7000,

Tubes

Lafayette 400K, McIntosh mc30's, Fisher 400, and a Tio.

:D

John

I want to get into tubes, too. toolz sent his PM before me and scored the tubes, so I have to wait a little longer :(

I would like to A/B the Sansui gear in my signature, but some have been re-capped. I just got the 9090db a few weeks ago and can say I do like what I hear.

If there is someone in my area with tubes, I would like to A/B some Sansui gear to tubes and we can report what we hear. :)

• Like 1

It is a place to begin , if you are interested in old Sansui amps , lets you know what old Sansui amps are out there . I have an AU-717 that I use with a pair of Klipsch Chorus for music in our outdoor pool , and it sounds very good for that application and it did not cost a bunch of money . It all depends what you are looking for and the amount of money you want to spend .

In the house I have klipschorns and a set amp James Burgess 45 , different applications / settings etc.. . So many different factors enter in .

Edited by markgodski

http://www.sansui.us/Amplifiers.htm

If you want really good info . go to this web page , great info . on all old sansui , which ones are considered best and why .

I don't see anything on that web page me anything other than the history there of.

I mean use what you want, but SS has progressed far beyond vintage offerings.

Schu, What vintage SS have you owned ?

Thanks for all the input/feedback from all! I feel for my application the old 70's Sansui gear is what sounds very good to my ears! I am almost to the point that I don't really like to listen to my Adcom set-up,its just that harsh,it does have the edge on the bottom end. Other than that, no thanks. Vintage is for me.I am looking to add a 9090 to my collection, but from what i'm seeing in my area they want to pay off their mortgage with them! I'll find one some day! Happy listening all. And by the way I'm sure you all figured out by now I am referring to SS. Thanks

Edited by loudandclear

My first "real" amp was a Sansui integrated. I'm thinking AU717 or something like that. Their big thing was "slew rate", and I was pretty depressed after hearing a similarly priced Onkyo on another system using the same loudspeakers.

Edited by DeanG

Mark, many of those older type amps sound really good with horns. I wonder if it's possible our hearing can only handle so much of any good thing before it just starts grating on our nerves. So, old "warm" stuff is used to dial back the effect of the hair trigger transients and dynamic capability of horns.

Hey Dean G ,

It's been awhile , I used to live in Utica N.Y. and I did purchase some crossovers from you some years back for my klipschorns . We talked on the phone and had similar likes in the crossovers , did not care about high volume listening , liked "A" better than "AA" . I had a get together at my home , when I was "markgod" back when old buckster was still alive . Duke Spinner frequented the forum etc... , in the good old days . Still around , don't post much , but read most posts .

Now Mark,

The Dyna ST 120 was my first amp. (1972) Can't believe you speak of it that way. Sold it to a friend years ago (sorry buddy) and he presented it back to me a few months ago.

It still works and sounds like it did back in the day. smile

I used it with the matching Dyna PAT4 preamp........... A great example of a truly horrific sound...

tc

One thing to keep in mind is that those old 1970's Sansui's , like tube amps from back in the day, will all have very tired caps and won't sound true to when they were new.

I had a Sansui 5000, I do believe, and it was dull. Could have been poor engineering, but just as likely, will be bad or out-of-speccaps.

By the way, many of those Sanusi's were bought over in Vietnam when people were heading home.