Amps for Chorus II - 2 Questions

Wardi930

1) I'll be running my new-to-me Chorus IIs with an Adcom GFA-585.....250 stated watts at 8 ohms. Is that a good match....too much.... not enough??? Any comments/thoughts on the Klipsch-Adcom marriage in general???? I got the Adcom GFA-585 just a year ago and it seems pretty solid, thought I haven't had the top off and I don't think the original owner I got it from had any work done to it? I know I might need some work to the capacitors and there are some "upgrades" out there......

2) I really wish I had some way of measuring the wattage output on my my Adcom system. Since 1987 I had my original Adcom GFA-545 amp, rated at 100 watts, paired up with my KG4s, also rated at 100 watts at 8 ohms, I always knew that when I started to see the clipping lights flicker that was all the volume I was going to get and I backed it off a little. Particularly since my KG4s are only 4 ohms (so the amp was pushing 200 watts with them). I've only had one of the tweeters on the KG4s kick off about 5 times in 27 years. Nice feature!! Anyway, I was a little surprised to discover that I could not find on ebay/online a good looking, quality "audio output meter." While we all know most McIntosh amps have them, my Adcom, and many others, do not. Anybody ever just arbitrarily add a set of meters to an amp?? I found some basic McIntosh looking meters on ebay/on line and thought of just adding them....somehow....... Any guidance welcomed!!

• Like 1

With the efficiency of the Chorus II you will drive yourself out of the room before the speakers consume the 200 watts output of the amp or damage a driver. One thing you may want to consider is replacing K-79-K tweeter. It is a polymer dome tweeter and it sounds OK, but IMHO the Bob Crites titanium replacement improves the sound.

IMHO you need something with some omph to get the woofers moving. I have had a few sets with the same results on all of them. My Marantz rated at 125wpc didn't get the job done. An Emotiva that runs in 2 channel at approx 300 wpc made a big difference. Congrats on the speakers!

1) I'll be running my new-to-me Chorus IIs with an Adcom GFA-585.....250 stated watts at 8 ohms. Is that a good match....too much.... not enough??? Any comments/thoughts on the Klipsch-Adcom marriage in general???? I got the Adcom GFA-585 just a year ago and it seems pretty solid, thought I haven't had the top off and I don't think the original owner I got it from had any work done to it? I know I might need some work to the capacitors and there are some "upgrades" out there......

2) I really wish I had some way of measuring the wattage output on my my Adcom system. Since 1987 I had my original Adcom GFA-545 amp, rated at 100 watts, paired up with my KG4s, also rated at 100 watts at 8 ohms, I always knew that when I started to see the clipping lights flicker that was all the volume I was going to get and I backed it off a little. Particularly since my KG4s are only 4 ohms (so the amp was pushing 200 watts with them). I've only had one of the tweeters on the KG4s kick off about 5 times in 27 years. Nice feature!! Anyway, I was a little surprised to discover that I could not find on ebay/online a good looking, quality "audio output meter." While we all know most McIntosh amps have them, my Adcom, and many others, do not. Anybody ever just arbitrarily add a set of meters to an amp?? I found some basic McIntosh looking meters on ebay/on line and thought of just adding them....somehow....... Any guidance welcomed!!

The chorus ii are my all time favorite speaker. I have a couple 200watt adcom mono blocks than run them very nicely. My choice solid state setup is my adcom pre with a bbe882i with a crown xls2500. I have pushed them in this setup to 116db @ about 5ft away and sounded clear and just left that test at that. So the listed 120+db is true. I run them mostly on tubes at about 60wpc now and they are also very happy sounding. chorus ii can eat up watts with the best of them specially for a full range "home" monitor

edit: you will be set for life with your adcom amp. they go together very, very well

Edited by beeker
  • Like 4