GOT EM,...... NEW TO ME Khorns in the house! :D

New to me K horns in the house !!!

After 37 years, I have a pair of Bs, my favorite model, in the house :D

Eric,

Thanks SOOOOOO much! For those who don't know from my other thread in agony waiting for reply, babadono, or Eric, a forum member from south of me, noticed my email from my own add I took out for the Khorns as the seller was not answering emails about the speakers. Anyway Eric and I talked a while and had a very nice chat and he said he would step aside as he was looking at them too and as he did have a pair and I did not, he bowed out, ever so kindly.

They sure are R L, rosewood lacquer ! There are a few small chips and dents on em but nothing that is not seen from a few feet away if you don't know where to look!

The man I bought them from was the second owner so I am the third. They have been through 2 wives with the second owner who has moved to Riverside. They were in storage since last November.

The seller had thought that he was replying but his emails were not making it out through Craigs list. I got an email from him on Friday night and at about 12:30 am he had opened up inspection for sale to the 5 people who had responded to his add. I did not see my email until SUNDAY at about noon due to a medical issue with my wife. A whole day and a half, with no reply from me, I was sure I had lost them :D I called him and got voice mail (not a good thing) and emailed to the address he wanted me to. I was not too hopeful but I kept on trying and about an hour after my call to him, he called me back!! He had been out working with the plants in the yard and did not hear the phone.

An hour later, we were standing in front of them at the storage yard. I took a generator, extension cord and a HK Reciever to just make sure all the drivers were working, there was no way that they were going to sound wonderful in the open but it was enough to hear all the drivers working.

Now for the problem, It is Sunday, though I have 3 bank accounts that had money and I had MORE than plenty to cover the purchase, ATMs will only let you take so much money out at a time. He was not too happy about taking half the money and finishing tomorrow but he followed me to the bank across the street. I took out $1500 from my 3 accounts and my son thought for a second and realized he could tap his accounts for the remaining $400 and so we had enough cash!

The seller was happy, I was happy, my son was happy to help and we exchanged cash, now the next guy who was due to arrive in an hour to look at them would NOT be happy!! The speakers were loaded and the whole 15 miles back home were crossed without event.

I took out the Cornwalls from my 2ch/den and made room for the Khorns :D The left fit in without any issue but the Right one has a window that has a sill about the center of the top end cab so it will not go back into the corner all the way.

I am powering them through my VTL ultimate tube preamp into my Sonic Frontiers power amp, a ~ 50 wpc push pull 6550 based unit.

Now for the down part....

Where is the bass ? I am used to the Cornwalls but with the Khorns, I feel like I need to reach for the bass knob... which I do not have! I know they are not sealed in the corners and with some guidance from the board, I will be happy to do it. I may need to make a false corner for the right speaker if I can't get a seal on the bass bin, it is about 1 inch away from the wall.

I have heard other Khorns and I solidly remember being blown away by them in 1977 when I heard my first pair of horns so I know it must be in my setup. The mids an high end are sold but sadly the bass is only half there. I did double check, the speakers ARE in phase and I had plenty of bass with the Cornwalls so, ...... HELP? ANYONE?

post-12757-0-44360000-1394417725_thumb.j

post-12757-0-12480000-1394417739_thumb.j

post-12757-0-11640000-1394417754_thumb.j

post-12757-0-94080000-1394417775_thumb.j

post-12757-0-42840000-1394417793_thumb.j

Edited by Cal Blacksmith
  • Like 3

Glad that you got them and congrats. They are really nice looking speakers.

Put some new caps in the crossovers and drop down about 2 or 3 db on the tweeter and mid. I had the same experience. Once the top end was attenuated, they had plenty of bass.

Thanks, caps are easy and not all that expensive in the large picture. At a Klipsch gathering in SoCal several years ago, I remember that the mids/highs were adjusted, it was something to do with which jumper went where in the crossover? I have never played with them before so I will soak up all the advice the more wise in the ways of the crossover, have :D

Akita

Yes, I did not even see her there. She is an old girl at about 13.5 years so her hips are bad and she is on anti inflamitory and pain killer meds but she is a happy girl. We just picked up a Akita mix, young adult. I don't know what he is mixed with but he looks like an Akita but is on the thin side and he is the most people minded dog I think I have EVER had, of ANY breed!

Awesome!

I recently picked up a pair myself.

My corners are worse than yours with windows and ledges on one side of each speaker that extend halfway up the base bin. However, I was moving up from Heresy's and the Khorn bass sounds awesome to my ear. I have never listened to cornwalls but from everything I have heard they put out amazing bass. You might try moving bookcases, etc away from the sides of the Khorns as that may be trapping some of that bass coming out of the sides. I also went with 1/2" PVC piping and nice heavy 1/2" and 1" heavy rubber pipe foam insulation to seal as much of the bass bin as possible. It was a improvement, but I can't really say it was a night and day difference in bass output.

I was reading this on AK the other day... just google 'klipschorn missing bass' a guy bought a pair of used Khorns and discovered a non-stock woofer installed that had separated from the woofer surround. He replaced it but ended up getting a separate subwoofer to go with his Khorns. You might pop off the side panel and woofer just to make sure everything is connected and in good condition.

Here is my setup for comparison:

post-32463-0-38480000-1394422003_thumb.j

Edited by holtrp

John, YES, THANKS :D

That is exactly what I could not remember how to find :D

That means these are from 1978, one year after I first heard the awesomeness of the Khorn and was drooling over them! Then they were powered by a Mac 225 and the sound was awesome!

I have the 12,734 and 12,735 Khorns produced in Brazilian Rosewood, STUNNING Brazilian Rosewood I may add.

holtrp, yes I think you have the answer. It would be much easier to just build the wall out an inch of so that is needed under the sill. I may try the pipe insulation behind both speakers to keep them even first, it will only be a few dollars and it is easy to do. I will check the woofer drivers but the obvious care these speakers have had have me doubting that they will be altered. For sure I know the caps need to be freshened up and the mids and highs dropped a bit, that alone may do it. There IS bass and when the bass is the main sound, it is nice indeed, it tends to get lost in the mids and highs though with a more rounded and full sound.

John, YES, THANKS :D

That is exactly what I could not remember how to find :D

That means these are from 1978, one year after I first heard the awesomeness of the Khorn and was drooling over them! Then they were powered by a Mac 225 and the sound was awesome!

I have the 12,734 and 12,735 Khorns produced in Brazilian Rosewood, STUNNING Brazilian Rosewood I may add.

holtrp, yes I think you have the answer. It would be much easier to just build the wall out an inch of so that is needed under the sill. I may try the pipe insulation behind both speakers to keep them even first, it will only be a few dollars and it is easy to do. I will check the woofer drivers but the obvious care these speakers have had have me doubting that they will be altered. For sure I know the caps need to be freshened up and the mids and highs dropped a bit, that alone may do it. There IS bass and when the bass is the main sound, it is nice indeed, it tends to get lost in the mids and highs though with a more rounded and full sound.

I saved this info cuz I knew it would come in handy for personal use. And of course to share with anyone that wants it. I was unable to post on forum but was able to send as PM. Go figure.

I looked but do not have reference to give credit where credit is due for this info. Seems like groomlake compiled and someone else posted the copy I have.

To whomever compiled this info and whomever posted it, I'd like to say Thank You. :D

John

Awesome!

I recently picked up a pair myself.

My corners are worse than yours with windows and ledges on one side of each speaker that extend halfway up the base bin. However, I was moving up from Heresy's and the Khorn bass sounds awesome to my ear. I have never listened to cornwalls but from everything I have heard they put out amazing bass. You might try moving bookcases, etc away from the sides of the Khorns as that may be trapping some of that bass coming out of the sides. I also went with 1/2" PVC piping and nice heavy 1/2" and 1" heavy rubber pipe foam insulation to seal as much of the bass bin as possible. It was a improvement, but I can't really say it was a night and day difference in bass output.

I was reading this on AK the other day... just google 'klipschorn missing bass' a guy bought a pair of used Khorns and discovered a non-stock woofer installed that had separated from the woofer surround. He replaced it but ended up getting a separate subwoofer to go with his Khorns. You might pop off the side panel and woofer just to make sure everything is connected and in good condition.

Here is my setup for comparison:

That is one spooky guard dog you have!

Rosewood Lacquer!!!! :o:wub:

As for the bass, it has a totally different quality than that of direct radiators. There is less of that chest thump because it is enveloping, not firing right at you. But crank some organ music with deep pedal notes, and you'll realize you've got bass like you've never had. And yes, fitting them into your corners just so will improve that.

If you play a recording with lots of deep bass content, walk around the room and other rooms of the house. You will likely find spots where the bass is too much and others where it is lean...a phenomenon common to live acoustic music.