GOT EM,...... NEW TO ME Khorns in the house! :D

I am going to bed after a long day, looking at my "new" K horns, I just realized, they are not only sequential Rosewood, ... THEY ARE BOOKMATCHED!

I did not think it could get any better, but it just did! :D

Doesn't that just make your day? I've read a few times that Klipschorns, unlike other Heritage Series speakers, are paired up while they're being built, so their appearance will match, as befits the top of the line model.

Other Heritage speakers, like La Scalas or Belles, were all built as individuals, but Khorns are built as pairs and kept together for the happy buyer.

If anyone can add to this, please do.

congrats Cal, you are one lucky guy.

this is in response to lslander's s post above. i believe that all the heritage were built with consecutive serial numbers its just that the most mismatched was the Heresy because they were so small and dealers had lots of them that when a buyer went to buy them the sales people didn't know they came in pairs and just grabbed 2 off the stack.

Edited by Budman

It only makes sense that all speakers are made (not sold) with consecutive serial numbers, but I think it's not only Heresy speakers that get grabbed at random in the warehouse. My La Scalas are more than ten numbers apart.

On the other hand, my La Scala IIs are xxxx7 and xxxx8, so a little more care was taken when picking them for delivery.

However, the difference with Khorns (according to what I've read on the forum) is that they are built as pairs, with the veneer sheets chosen accordingly, unlike any other Klipsch speakers, except the Palladiums, which are mirror-imaged, IIRC.

i agree with you on the k-horns because their advertising back in the day said the grain is idenical on both or they are destoyed or something like that

i also think that the lascala would be the next most non consec. serial numbers bought from the dealer because they are all birch ply and they didn't have to match

i personally wouldn't buy a set of heritage ( veneer ) without being consecutive numbers or grain matching. its what makes a klipsch a klipsch to me.

Edited by Budman

The song was on "The Long Run" CD and yes it is awesome. I love bringing it into the 110db range the drum attacks thump your chest.

yes 110+db is a whole nother world, on k-horns or others. my epic cf-4's just came to llfe at that level. & the kick drums on that song & through the k-horns at 110db are amazing... only the big horm bass bins can do that, the 15" woofers in chorus or cornwalls or the dual 12"s in the epics are great too but just not the same as what the k-horns can do & how it hits you in the chest. :D

cal, play with dropping the mids if you can or get a pre-amp that will boost the bass section a bit, be carefull though, most brands boost way too far into the upper mid section. adcom bass knob is only at 20hz & their contour (loudness) button is only at 100hz & tapers off as the volume increases. really a nice feature if you want improved bass without adding subs etc.

i agree with you on the k-horns because their advertising back in the day said the grain is idenical on both or they are destoyed or something like that

i also think that the lascala would be the next most non consec. serial numbers bought from the dealer because they are all birch ply and they didn't have to match

i personally wouldn't buy a set of heritage ( veneer ) without being consecutive numbers or grain matching. its what makes a klipsch a klipsch to me.

I think the Veneer is matched on the fronts for the B's and K's before it is glued. They even did that with the old EV tweeters I was told. They had no way of getting the output consistent when manufacturing, so they were tested and matched at the Klipsch factory.

All, thanks for the comments, support and pics!

At the end of a really long day for me, I sit here listening to the Khorns and I am wondering what I was talking about with the lack of bass comment, it is there for sure, different but there, it will be better I am sure when I get them sealed into the corners though :D

I wish I could figure out where the 60 cycle hum is coming from, it just showed up, there is something too with the dish network unit, if I plug the HDMI calbe into it leading to the TV, BAM 60 cycle hum which is odd as it runs on a wall wart transformer and is a low voltage. It does it in the HT too, different unit but the same hum. ODD!

I will start a new thread about today and how it was a long day. I do not want to mess up this thread :D

I wish I could figure out where the 60 cycle hum is coming from, it just showed up, there is something too with the dish network unit, if I plug the HDMI calbe into it leading to the TV, BAM 60 cycle hum which is odd as it runs on a wall wart transformer and is a low voltage. It does it in the HT too, different unit but the same hum. ODD!
Audio dealers probably have isolation units with F-connectors that can be inserted in key places between HT components that can knock out the hum.

Regarding matching the grain patterns, Klipsch was big on "book matching" patterns on, for example, K-horn bass bin fronts, home-plate tops, and side panels. This amounts to flipping matching veneers over so that the, say, left side of the front of a bass bin is a mirror image of the right side, AND the partner K-horn used closely-matching veneers in the same way so that the PAIR had fronts that were book-matched with each other. The tops were book matched, with the right side being a mirror image of the left.

Once you spot this, it's hard not to notice a pair if they are not book-matched.

Cornwalls were and are made in grain-matching pairs, but I don't know if any of the surfaces were book-matched. They probably were.

All, thanks for the comments, support and pics!

At the end of a really long day for me, I sit here listening to the Khorns and I am wondering what I was talking about with the lack of bass comment, it is there for sure, different but there, it will be better I am sure when I get them sealed into the corners though :D

I will start a new thread about today and how it was a long day. I do not want to mess up this thread :D

You are just getting used to getting 20 db less distortion from a K33.

• Like 1

I am not so sure that there is that much distortion from a Cornwall! It is manly the chest thump I am missing, that may improve with sealing though.

Now to get back to them. I did disconnect the TV completely and that cured the hum, I was afraid that I had lost a filter cap in one of the amps but now it is all good, at least with the hum anyway :D

Edited by Cal Blacksmith

I wish I could figure out where the 60 cycle hum is coming from, it just showed up, there is something too with the dish network unit, if I plug the HDMI calbe into it leading to the TV, BAM 60 cycle hum which is odd as it runs on a wall wart transformer and is a low voltage. It does it in the HT too, different unit but the same hum. ODD!D

Does it hum with the HDMI connected to the TV when the RF connector (F connector) is not connected and all other "normal" connections are present?

The issue seems to be tied to the sat/tv setup. I looked at everyrhing and came up with a soultion, but it is a work around and not the source. Everything is now fed to the tv via hdmi. There is a tosslink out on the tv so I bought an inexpensive dac that takes. Tosslink in and rca out. As there is no metal connection to the audio system, the groundloop is not made. There is no problem with the tv_sat_ps3_xbox_computer network. I still get digital audio throuth the whole network up until the conversion right before the preamp. The system is now dead quiet :D

• Like 1

I thought the same thing the very first day I picked up my LS II's from craigslist as I was used to RF-83's connected to a great 200 watt amp. Imaging was spot on from day one, but the bass took a few days to get to know as it really did sound different to me (as I was much more used to my old setup after hundreds of hours).

The more I listened to horn loaded bass though the more I got used to how much more realistic it sounds. I now run Audyssey XT32 too, so bass sounds even more accurate.

I am not so sure that there is that much distortion from a Cornwall! It is manly the chest thump I am missing, that may improve with sealing though.

• Like 1

No one said it was intolerable, just measurable. PWK himself told me the reason he abandoned the Cornwall and made the Belle was because, even operated at 6 db down from the Khorn flanks, the disortion on the Cornwall's direct radiator was high enough to spoil the sound of the entire array, so take it from the man himself, not me.

• Like 1

The Belle sounds great as a center channel.

The lower distortion of the Belle makes it sound better, even though it has less bass than the Cornwall.

The phantom center channel box produces an image on music that does not sound 'hi-fi', but actually changes as a live band would change as you move around the room, IOW, it sounds more like live music.

Of course the LaScala should work as well as the Belle for a center channel from a sound standpoint.

IMO, a center channel is worth the effort. Even a Heresy as a center channel works better than nothing (if your Klipschorns are set up on the long wall).

The room is far from perfect, heck it is a ways away from good. It is 12 * 13 with a 7 foot 10 inch ceiling but I do have full carpeting and popcorn spray on acoustic treatment on the ceiling and the room is pretty far from live but it is not testing chamber either.

The "long" wall is the one the speakers are on with a listening position of 8 feet back and centered. He imaging is good and there is no room between the equipment racks for a center, regardless of its size. I have H1s and H2s as well as a commercial LA Scalla top section that I bought from Fzninvt years ago though it might fit between the racks if I place it on edge VS flat as the normal position however that would totally mess up the dispersion pattern of the horns but then I am only 8 feet out and centered so I do not need much width.

With the wife in the hospital I just have not had time to get the pipe wrap to seal them into the corners. I think the insulation alone will be thick enough to allow a sales even though the window will keeps the speaker out a couple of inches from the corner.

I am finding that the bass I was having an issue with is very dependent n source recordings. Even mor so than the Cornwall's were.

Speaking of the Cornwall's, they have been moved to the HT as mains and the Quartets might be placed on the Cornwall's as an "upper presence" set of speakers. The academy is still center with H2s as Sides and KG 2s as rear back. As one would expect, the bass adds to and is a compliment to the sub from the Cornwall's.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith