GOT EM,...... NEW TO ME Khorns in the house! :D

• 4 weeks later...

At last, I got around to sealing them into the corners. I used the foam pipe insulation at the big box store. I did it with two layers one a "solid core" meant for 1/2 inch pipe and then I put another foam tube over the top of it. As the second tube was split and had glue on the edges, it was easy to just place it over the edged of the boards.

The Khorns never had any indication of being sealed, at least there was no glue or staples showing it.

The do sound MUCH better sealed in like they are. Just like I remembered them from the "Sound Systems INC. " showroom ! I even played the same song, again that I first heard on them. Linda R. Your no good. I was back in 1977!

Another thing. On Craigs list, I answered an add, the guy had a storage locker he needed to clean out. While there, I found a Monster power filter/surge protector. I am no fan of Monster but the price was right at $125 so I took a chance. I had been running a computer isolator / power conditioner for the amps so I did not expect much if any improvement in the sound.

I am not sure if it is the power of thought or if it is real but the quiet passages, like between tracks on a LP are quiet, very quiet, almost like a vacuum sucking you in quiet. The Monster unit did get some nice write ups when it came out by some of the stereo rags. It sure seems to have made more of a difference than any cables or speaker wire I have changed out. It is real or is it the power of the mind?

• Like 2

It could make a difference in white noise, but nothing you couldn't fix by eliminating the real problem. On my system the toroidal transformer buzzes when my 3 way dimmable floor lamp is plugged in, so I keep it unplugged.

I bought a power conditioner from fleabay, and it does keep the amp's transformer from buzzing with my light plugged in, but the power conditioner itself buzzes with the light plugged in, so I still leave the lamp unplugged :)

However, I do feel safer having expensive components plugged into something with under-voltage protection. Brownouts do happen and can damage your equipment. Less likely to happen is an over voltage transient, but still the extra protection of a power conditioner is worth it. Some conditioners do voltage regulation and have a built in isolation transformer for your display. These are very nice features too.

I am not sure if it is the power of thought or if it is real but the quiet passages, like between tracks on a LP are quiet, very quiet, almost like a vacuum sucking you in quiet. The Monster unit did get some nice write ups when it came out by some of the stereo rags. It sure seems to have made more of a difference than any cables or speaker wire I have changed out. It is real or is it the power of the mind?

Edited by etc6849

There isn't anything on that line, it is a solo, 20 amp run from the panel. I ran a power conditioner / isolated feed (designed for computer) and a stand alone surge protector before the amps in the old setup. The only motors in the house are on the fridge and the heater, well there are some fans too I guess and then the washer and dryer and the espresso machine and...... all on different circuits though and nearly never on when listening to the 2ch setup.

I just do not remember it being so "dark" between cuts before but the power of the mind is a big one, it leads people to hear a difference with a "audiophile grade" power cord and gold plated wall outlet when it is then tied into 50 miles of Edison, non audiophile power lines, transformers, motors and many many other things that are junking up the power.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith

I am by no means a believer in alot of the hype that surrounds cables etc.. However I do believe some can hear a difference, I also have no idea how monster builds there power conditioners

But I can say without doubt power conditioning can make a difference Where I worked we would take power from the transfer lines 12500 volts, and it was ran thru inverters and then converted back to ac for cleaner power to run the truck motors. It allowed for a more predictable performance

If we did that on a grand scale it makes perfect sense that you could build a conditioner to do the same thing on smaller scales which would have no choice but to alter the output.

Now is it worth the $$$$$$ is completely subjective ;)

here's a rudimentary example of ac output from standard outlet and from a power conditioner

This is how it was explained to us in training, notice the much more violent swings in the non conditioned drawing vs the smaller more uniform swings after conditioning

Caveat I can not use paint to make any type of straight line or good drawing, this is just an exaggerated example

:D

Thanks, I think you did better with paint than I could do :P

While I would NEVER pay the $600 they were asking for this thing new, I guessed the gamble was worth it at $125, if for nothing else than to make the power cable runs much more tidy.

There were supposed to be 3 or was it 4 top people in industry (not Monster) who work in the power filtering field, one with a high end audio power conditioner (also high buck) (from memory) but IDK how true it was, I read it in a review in Stereotimes of my exact unit, dial gauge not the later digital read out.

click here

How much the review is worth, how much the reviewer is though well of, how much is paid advertising ?????? I do SEEM to hear a difference and I sure thought I would not!

I am first to admit that the mere mention of anything Monster in my system is a situation I thought I would never be in. I am the last to buy any of their cables etc and while I can admit that the quality of their cables etc is likely better than china import bulk buy cables, I do not think they are worth NEAR what places get for them.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith

A raised floor can certainly add some fun to the mix, you might try some isolating cones if it's a bother,

cal. I am by nature a skeptic, and until recently resided in the snake oil camp, However headphones have allowed me to hear subtle differences that open air speakers would not, I am by no means willing to spend much on any of the usual suspects. I look at most of them as fine tuning tools. In your case I look at a power conditioner as insurance if it happens to improve sound in a subtle way

All the better B)

What PrestonTom said.

On the Xovers: There is a quality with oil filled caps like that which cannot be dismissed. You may find a cap upgrade harsh and bright compared to the present configuration. The oil filled caps are smooth. So don't immediately jump on the Xover upgrade bandwagon. Like with everything in life there are compromises here too.

Which model power conditioner are you using?

The floor is concrete slab so the floor is solid. New padding and carpet but otherwise, concrete.

The linked review is for the unit I bought, the HTS 5000 it is an older unit, the review was in 2001 so it could be up to 13 years old but I have no idea, it LOOKS clean and like it has been well cared for but ??? I do suspect though that the surge protection may be getting "thin", I heard that as any protector lives it's life, surges affect and "use up" the life of the anti surge devices so IDK and I have another surge protector before it, ..... just in case :o

I am still in the snake oil camp with nearly all things uber audio, I bought the device to clean up the power cord runs only and had NO thought of affecting the sound, There has been so much fraud and snake oil sold over the years to anyone who would listen to hype that the water is very muddy indeed.

Our memory is a funny thing. It is not like a tape or digital recorder. It MAKES the memory new each time we "remember" something, This is why people can clearly remember things that never happened! Each time, the memory can be and is slightly altered. So when we try to "remember" what our system sounded like on another day, we are remembering impressions of what we heard, the tape is not being played back note for note. Then add to the mix that we can hear things that we were told that we were supposed to hear whether or not it truly is there and again, the water is very muddy indeed.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith

I agree about the memory thing and the muddy water surrounding audio

One way I found to see if I really have a change is to use the new product for awhile, and then take it out of the loop and see if something is missing, as apposed to trying to hear something new in the sound when added