Replacement fuse

Fotog

never seen a 3.15 fuse. im sure 3a would be close enough or maybe 3.5. check parts express, or i found a good selection of fast blow fuses at home stores like home depot or lowes etc.

are you reading the actual fuse rating or what thee amp board says? cant imagine klipsch would use such an odd rated fuse.

• Like 1

sounds like you are reading it right... i just checked my parts express catalog & no 3.15 listed anywhere. just whole numbers past 2.5 & even the lower values are in .25 increments. what does the amp board say where the fuse goes in? usually the rating is listed there. im sure a 3a would be fine.

• Like 1

Thank you CECAA850. Wouldn't have a clue what to even look for. Not even sure where to take it. The only place around here selling Klipsch products anymore is Best Buy. All the higher end "audio" stores have gone out of business. Any thoughts on who to call? Would a guitar amplifier service be able to look at it? Or is it simply better to buy another?

Edited by Fotog

should say "fast blow" on the package, or did you compare to the other type that has a very thick bar vs a super thin wire. the thicker bar is usually for auto use or the slow blow type from what i have seen.

i agree, if its blowing right away there is either a> something wrong with the amp or b> something as simple as speaker wires touching. were you pushing them hard to blow the first fuse? if you take it out try & look for any obvious burned or brown spots on the circuit paths or bulging/leaking capacitors etc. as for who to take it to, check your local yellow pages for audio/electronics repair places. theres usualy a couple places that can repair or check something like that out. or call best buy & see if they can refer you to someone. or last option is to call klipsch to see if they even sell a replacement or can suggest a repair place they might use for warranty work etc.

on a side note, i had a sub amp on a set of my def tech speakers go out from constant high volume levels & probably age (5+years). one thing i will say about def tech, besides pretty darn good sound, is that they have the best customer service in the business, sent me free replacement amps with no questions asked, & no proof of purchase, (i bought them used) just inquired where i can get new ones or have mine repaired & they proactively offered to send me new amps. even sent a replacement woofer "just in case." now thats what i call taking care of your customers.

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1

Thanks klipschfancf4. The original fuse I believe has a thicker wire then the replacements I bought but it is merely my perception and could be totally wrong. I will check the yellow pages. No speaker wires touching and no excessive volume (I get enough bass from the KLF30's - just use the KSW150 for "color"). I recall the sub had a burnt smell when the fuse blew - so I suspected it was bigger than just a fuse but thought I would start there. Thanks again for the guidance.

arent the 20mm the short stubby fuses? most fuses in sub amps & other audio equiptment are the standard 1.25" long fuse.

also, can someone that knows for sure please explain the fast vs slow blow fuse? every fuse i have seen for delicate electronics like amplifiers or speaker protection circuits are the fast blow, to better protect the equiptment. only time i see slow blow are in older cars like 70's gm cars before they changed to the plastic type fuses. would be helpfull info for myself & otheres that may be reading threads like this & need to buy the correct fuse.

also, if the OP's amp is rated at a 3a fuse... whats the point of .15 more?

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1

I recall the sub had a burnt smell when the fuse blew - so I suspected it was bigger than just a fuse but thought I would start there.

If you've already let the magic smoke out of the amp and your fuses blow in 5 seconds, it's time to take it apart and look around inside or punt it.

• Like 1

also, if the OP's amp is rated at a 3a fuse... whats the pint of .15 more?

He said that the one that came out of it was a 3.15A fuse.

yes, but i asked him to check the actual rating on the amp itself & he said it was indeed 3A. so someone used a 3.15 in there, but for what reason? if the amp say 3a fuse... you should be using a 3a fuse IMO.

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1

I am the original owner of this sub and the fuse removed is the original fuse. The markings on the fuse clearly state "T3.15L" "250V". Unless the high end store I purchased this KSW-150 from placed a different fuse in it, this fuse came from Klipsch.

Thank you all for the council and advice. It is the reason I asked and am happy to get your feedback. Again - Thanks.