what is the best setting for a sub 10

TheHummer

Hello all, after months of reading this community's forum i'll took the plunge and became a member.

I love this forum for the nice and warm people,and the quick response for helping his members.

Here's my question:

Currently owning 2 klipsch RF52's as fronts,2 klipsch F1,s as surrounds, an completly off center speaker named heco,will be replaced for a klipsch and the sub is a sub 10,also be replaced for a better one.

And a pioneer vsx serie a/v surround.

My life was always consumed by stereo equipment,but for the last year the movie was a nice change of pace.

Ok before i dwell to much,here's my question:

I have troubles to configure my sub.

I have used the micophone setup ,but miss a smooth bass response from the sub.

My room is a square one,15 by 15.5 feet

The setup of my set is not in the middle of the room but more to the side of the room.

post-58169-0-87240000-1394479428_thumb.j

post-58169-0-66000000-1394479473_thumb.j

I hope the pics give you guys an idea of the layout of the room.

The cross over is 80 speakers at large,and still don't know how to move on with this.

I hope you can give me some directions because i'm out of ideas.

Music is good and i'm happy with that,it's the HT what worries me.

Ok one last thing i'm from Rotterdam The Netherlands so you know who you dealing with.

Thanx in advance and i learned already a lot of you guys,thx for that

Regards

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Quite often, the automatic level setting gives too low a volume level for the sub. Using a test CD and a sound pressure level (SPL) meter usually gives better results. Try raising the sub level by 3 to 5 dB and see if that sound better. You're after a natural sound, as much bass as you'd hear in a live performance, but not so much as to sound exaggerated.

I have to disagree with jason str. Most speakers start to lose bass power at a higher frequency than you would expect, so it can be best to have the sub dialed as high as 100 Hz or more. Subwoofers roll off at their top ends, just like speakers roll off at their bottom ends. It's not a sharp cut-off in either case, so to get a smooth transition from subwoofer to main speaker woofers, you have to dial in a certain amount of apparent overlap.

Thank you guys for all the help,i had enough information to work with at the moment.

I will try the settings we spoke here.

I think ,i will need a couple of days to try them all out.

i will get back to you and let you know how everything worked out.

One thing,are these settings also good for music,sometimes i love to play my music with the subwoofer on.

Or should i stay at one thing at the time.

P.S Which movie will you advice to listen to ,to test the settings of the sub.

Edited by TheHummer

Ok i did a new mic setup and still i am not happy with the sub.

It seems that the setup changed the sub to -13DB

strange thing is even the messured distance is wrong.

For the speakers it's ok,but for the sub it says 15 feet,while the real distance is 9 feet.

Every time i'll do the mic setup it changes.

Is it a problem that after the setup i change the distance manually,or is this changing the

acoustical setup.

I hope you can shed a light on this matter

I agree that the best setting to crossover you subwoofer would be at 80Hz however your Sub 10 will not be a great addition to your system if you crossover that high.

If you could find a better subwoofer that would not get so sloppy sounding at higher frequencies it would make a world of difference, especially for music.

Agreed with ya,i will look in the future for a better sub,and i think i would be a velodyne.

Movies is nice but my heart goes out to music,and i think from what i read that the velodyne would

be a great addition to my musical soul.