Emotiva Subwoofer Appreciation

fuzzydog

Watched an Emotiva X-Ref 12 subwoofer go for $537 on E-Bay today. I thought this was strange since you could buy them for $499 new before they were discontinued and the one for auction was an 8 out of 10 at best.

I love mine; it's a 12" sealed sub with a 600 watt amp that can pump out bass. I was watching the auction because I want to buy another; I just wouldn't pay more than new price for a used one.

These subs don't come up for sale very often; you guys think think this sale price was a fluke?

Edited by FuzzyDog

• Moderators

These subs don't come up for sale very often; you guys think think this sale price was a fluke?

Could be or someone wanted one really bad to match another, and was willing to pay ?

Could be or someone wanted one really bad to match another, and was willing to pay ?

You can build 2 Spuds for that price and it would trounce it. I'm just sayin'...........

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 1 month later...

These are some descent small subs, but having tried most compact subs made I have to say the all important WAF makes them so popular. The smaller the sub, the lower the performance per $. No matter who designed/manufactured the unit.

$350-400 in mint condition maybe if you must have one, as a new was $499. These are not collector items and they lose value with time/use.

• Like 1

...These are not collector items and they lose value with time/use.

That is an EXCELLENT point, and applies to all speakers.

Don't look at how much it costs, just how much of a loss you will be hit with if you don't like it and need to sell. Better yet, can you actually try a speaker or sub and then sell it for a profit? For folks with the sickness like us, it's tantamount to having your cake and eating it too.

Edited by mustang guy

Well not exactly all speakers, take a few classic , dare I say iconic JBL speakers ! They will fetch several times more than they were sold for even in converted currency brand new! There are those few timless speakers I would love to buy, unfortunate reality is these are almost all sold in a few shops in Japan. restored to perfection and even...refinished by master craftsmen.Some older Klipsch K Horn or vintage Tannoy also deserve respect and can command higher prices.

JBL finest however stand at the very top in the resale field.